Lagkitan landrace from the Philippines

Real nice bromigo…

1 Like

Thanks! Can’t wait to give everyone a smoke report :grin: Going to be half a year probably though… 11-14 weeks by themselves after initiating flower. Nowhere near ready for that.

4 Likes

The Cebuano strain I have tried before has a wonderful, bright, social, active type of high. It’s that kind of cannabis that makes you feel just a little smarter than normal. Looking forward to following your grow out of these.

TLT probably named these, as"Lagkitan" is a Tagalog word. Proper Cebuano for “sticky” would be “Mapiliton”. That type of local stuff goes for about $220 per.kilo, with about half the weight being stems, and seeds. Prior to the current, and now the incoming administration of former dictator Marcos’s son, cannabis was a lot more available than today. All Filipino landraces are under threat of extinction currently. Adding to the threat, like most places, the locals that smoke prefer US type genetics which all fall under the moniker of “Kush”. However, the western cultivars from higher latitudes could never grow properly outdoors so close to the equator, with near 12-12 almost year round. Autos would be ideal for that climate.

11 Likes

Thank you so much for the info!! It’s invaluable to the community.

Are you able to comment on any of the other TLT Filipino varieties - Kibungan, Kalinga, Baguio Gold?

I might think about picking up a bunch of the varieties available then before they disappear forever! Hopefully places like TLT and all the other wonderful landrace breeders are doing these preservations justice and actually saving these strains from extinction. As someone who has consistent access to “Kush bud” in the US… I can certainly say that these equatorial sativas won’t be commercially grown for dispensary production. All my life I’ve wanted to try one but they just aren’t around. So I found a good one and decided to grow my own :rofl:

9 Likes

Nope, I wish I could say I was well rounded on Filipino varietals, but I’m only familiar with stuff local to Cebu Procince, which is where the Lagkitan hails from at around 10N. If you look at Latitude, Philipinnes ranges from around 7N in Glan, Sarangani, to 18N near Appari, Cagayan in the Ilocos region. Quite a large difference for a landmass that equals roughly the size of Arizona, and home to 110,000,000 people .

Intereating tidbit, If you go back to the 1985 Super Sativa Seed Club catalog, there was also a Tugueraro, Filipino landrace cross featured. The same cross is probably lost to history. That’s a northern area, similar to the Kalinga, or Baguio that are probably most the popular Filipino varietals.

If I were you, I’d get all I can get from the region. They also have at TLT the Violeta, Kalinga. I believe that’s the one Dubi at Ace worked a bit.

Additionally, Karma spoke on The Pot Cast about a Filipino landrace he came by, that he reportedly loves. The story alone is worth a listen. You’re right, they will never become the latest rage of dank, or the biggest yielder in a room. They’re outdoor plants ideally. If youn think about it, they are basically delayed onset, large autoflowers. They have terrible node spacing, if it wasnt so, theyd rot and mold. Yet, there’s still something special there. It reminds me of some kind of old Mexican red hair bsck in the 80’s, just a great, fun high, and definitely worth experiencing.

9 Likes

Here’s a thread I started…

Phillipine Landraces, has anyone grown them?

4 Likes

Looking great !!!

Excited to see them develop into trees :wink:

1 Like

@LimeGreen - I’m not sure the Lagkitan will fit the bill for terrible node spacing… some of them seem rather nice in veg… I know in flower is a whole different situation. I’m not sure these are time sensitive either… unless they’re still too young in their life cycle. I guess I will know when these mother plants become a year old. They don’t seem like an autoflower to me. They seem like a regular hardy sativa plant. I’m quite excited to see what flowering brings. I hope there aren’t too many herms.

@PhilCuisine - Thanks for sharing that thread! It’s inspiring to see that varieties from the same region look so wonderful. Hopefully I can find similar in these Lagkitan.

@royal - Thanks. They are a complete joy to care for. So vigorous it’s crazy. These ones will become literal trees… bonsai trees. :grin: Now that I know it clones decently I can create clone copies to flower out. I would like to keep 5 or 6 stable females and 1 stable male, so I can create more seeds if I need to. I don’t feel like I’m really bottlenecking the species if I keep several different females. I hope one of them is the scorpion pheno, one the green pheno, and some other naturally beautiful purple specimens. Of course I want the effects on them to all be phenomenal but a man can dream can’t he?

13 Likes

Oh they’re a hardy Sativa plant alright. In their natural environment, which is a near constant 12-12, they’ll veg for several months before flowering. I’ll be curious how they react to a flip indoors. Since they are getting about 6 hours more light than they’d ever see in the hills of Cebu, and then a sudden reduction, they may act like a typical indoor plant. Naturally though, it isn’t really a lighting change that triggers flower, it’s more of a growth duration related thing.

4 Likes

I hear what you’re saying. By the time these do get to flower they will be sexually mature. Most of them have branches with alternating nodes which has always been a telltale sign for me that they’re starting to get there. Soon preflowers will start showing up on like the 3rd or 4th node from the top. Unless these are completely different from everything else I’ve grown and not this way at all. I wondered about the 18/6 schedule they’re on but they seem to love it. I hope they’ll be fine with a switch to 12/12 without stressing them out too much.

6 Likes

are you shure? the line from ace i barely seen, including on spanish forums… but i got them offered (ace violetta… yeah, if somebody wants to reproduce them… i may arrange them for you, but only peoples with good intentions PM.

Aaaah, VIOLETTA i found em! wait,could be!!

4 Likes

Should be fine - may do even a little better at 11 / 13 :wink:

1 Like

By the way, the only Time i heard someone describing a Weed as “laughing Weed” was a guy that smoked Phillipne long ago.

Phillipine isse good mood zone, not the most psychedelic on earth. but still similar to other SE Asians

7 Likes

So good to hear that I could have some really good genetics here then! Those kinds of effects are exactly what I’m looking for! I want feel good strains not something that’s going to disable me from functioning.

Here’s a couple update photos.
Clones are doing awesome. Soon they will be in their own pots waiting for the flowering room.

Here are the parents to those clones

I’ve had to trim them several times now, I’m sure I will have to trim several times more. I’ve been thinking about putting the clones into small pots and letting them continue to flower in there. Then maybe I can distinguish sex/pheno before flowering them all. Would love to cull any natural herms before they all run together. I’ll have to keep a close eye every day.

17 Likes

Well the clones have really gotten out of control… in the best way possible. That said, I’m going to have to do another round of clones because these are far too large to be able to maintain for another month while my current flowering ladies finish up.

Here’s the clones:

It was too difficult to get pictures of the roots because of how big the clones are. They’re very well developed though and it wouldn’t surprise me if this strain could be adapted to hydro.

Here are the parents who are trying to grow out of control again. :grin:

Tentative plans for a seed repro will begin on Aug 1.

28 Likes

Those are really taking off huh?! I’m here for the whole ride brother.

2 Likes

Looking good!
The " terrible node spacing" begins once the stretch occurs, starting early in flower and Lasting between four and eight weeks typically , with some stretching until week 12 . Before flower and after flower Sativas are often unrecognizable as the same plant. Once they stretch, that’s when they develop their personality😁

7 Likes

If we flower in small pots to help control their stretch, when is the best time to up pot them during flowering?

2 Likes

Beautiful plants, I’m in awe!

1 Like

It really depends on whether you are doing a veg cycle and taking clones or not, or if you are flowering straight from seed. Then you also have to factor in flowering time and find out if there is a known stretch for this particular variety you are growing . For example, Congolese varieties stretch six to eight times from when you flip to flower. You want the plants to be the finished size you envisioned by the time they are two-thirds of the way through flowering ±. This is based on a 16 week flowering time. When I have used the same transplant schedule with 13-week plants of the same strain they end up smaller than I want, sometimes drastically so. I think for me I would rather have the plant too big than too small. But then again I have done this a lot of times and now I’m confident I can handle whatever comes. When I first began growing sativas using container size to control growth, my goal was to have them small enough. So when starting it might be wise to keep the plant on the smaller side and then you will realize that it’s not such a big job to tackle growing sativas and that you can grow them even in smaller spaces. As you gain experience you can allow the plants to get a little bigger if you have the room. You can always do some pruning/ training/ tying down for a plant thats too large.

10 Likes