Landrace Expansion & Trade

Thanks, I was just wondering if the Mexican sativa’s were any different…my procedure is similar except I hang the bag on the back of my big screen tv where it gets a warm spot

2 Likes

Their are all kinds of Mexico strains and I don’t mind at all fat leaf skinny leaf hybrids who cares it’s weed with free seeds
I will never throw away any Mex seeds I buy for any reason the way I see it is that it’s unique stuff even if it’s a fat leaf indica it’s all good because it’s unique and has a sativa infusion in it’s genes and who knows what it is really it could be anything

I got tons of Mexico bagseed nothing from a seed company …shit I might start a Mexico bagseed collection company

18 Likes

Some of those Mexican lines made great breeding stock , especially the old purple lines from down there.

6 Likes

Not a bad idea. There would be some interest i think.

7 Likes

Man I wish I had my baby jars from the early 80’s…pure gold now…
What was the chunky round bud, bright green weed that had a black pepper taste and huge green seeds…
:metal::sunglasses:

12 Likes

Add slot of fruity oils to you watering schedule the kiddies will love that …lol

Peace and stay safe

1 Like

From Dankest Africa (FDA) - Congolese Black
if this is the old black congo creeper no ceiling it be the only sativa I need lol

9 Likes

I hope it is! FDA’S Malawi is a massive yielder and is supposed to be epic, too. I was shown a picture of a 2.2 lb top bud. Hell, all I would need is that bud for the year LOL

8 Likes

I always find it weird how rare purple was back in the day, and now everyone is miraculously finding purple versions of every line on the planet. I know any plants can lean towards anthocyanins instead of carotenoids, but purely through natural selection on such a large scale?

Before the year 2000, how often would you all say you seen purple buds, as a ratio to green or a percentage of the total?

• More often Purple than Green
  • Green and Purple at the same rate
  • More often Green than Purple
  • Never seen Purple before ‘00

0 voters

Why wouldn’t people have been choosing purple plants all along? Surely it would have been more prevalent than it used to be, if all of these landrace genetics had the tendency to produce it.

(Lol… :sweat_smile: )

5 Likes

Local grow shop owner told me that he knows at least one guy who waters cold for a certain amount of time and supposedly gets purples pretty consistently from it across strains. He said when everyone started wanting purple bud he just hit everything with cold water for bag appeal.

4 Likes

Purple plants are less potent than green plants. Where I’m from, people cared more about potency than color. Although there were excellent purple strains around when I was younger. Not very common though you’re right. We used to get all excited when we got purple weed. Now that I’ve been growing mine for 30 years, it’s begun to turn purple in the last half a dozen years. Just a result of the cold climate I suppose

7 Likes

Sounds about right. Soil temperatures below 60 degrees induce purpling in varieties not naturally purple without the cold. Also slows down Bud production… of course many varieties remain green regardless of soil temperature.

4 Likes

Supposedly this guy ran thousands of plants to find that one. He lives in Colombia. Oftentimes, you find what you’re looking for. The law of attraction.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s why I took the question out of that thread. I don’t want to associate it with anyone or any varietal specifically. It’s not a unique situation at all.

2 Likes

Another reason the purple types were probably not grown as often, is that they stick out like a sore thumb. During prohibition, camouflage is key. That purple is easy to spot from a mile away literally

5 Likes

I remember some one i knew in mich had a purple afie, was purple in sept before weather got cold in the early 80’s…some pinconning para also

2 Likes

I have to argue against that. African Black Magic (really dark purple) was one of the strongest strains I ever smoked. Totally super dark purple plants when harvested. That was in the late 1970s. It was also some of the most expensive weed at that time. I would also argue for the all purple Maui Waui, the original Mr Greengenes strain. The purple ones are more potent than the green or green and purple ones. Pure party high that gets you there fast. It also has higher levels of CBC. The all green ones are good, but different. Then there is Zacatecas Purple. That stuff was kick ass weed. Even the seeds were purple. All purple colas. Also there is Mendo Purps and GDP. And a number of other purple strains out there. Several Colombians that I have turn purple as well. Some turn purple from cold temperatures, some are purple by genetics. But less potent across the board than all green plants? No way Jose. One hit of African Black Magic and you are completely gone. Just gone man. No comparison.

17 Likes

How do these purples taste?
@PanchoVilla

2 Likes

I’d love to see the zacatas purple strain again but I think it’s truly extinct in pure form. Maybe some small group of local mtn farmers still have it but I think all the Mexican strains down there currently are pretty mixed up. The Cartels always breeding best to best trying to get faster finishing more potent plants didn’t really favor the preservation of old heirloom Mexican lines :sleepy:

7 Likes

Purple seeds? Thats awesome! Id love to see that Zacatecas purple. I’ve heard great things. There’s some great purple pot now for sure. But in the instances where purple versions and green versions of a strain exist, the green is usually more potent. I agree with you though, its not always true. Our local purple years ago was legendary for its potency. The most potent around.
We’ve been talking about The Black African Magic recently and there was discussion about whether it is a purple variety or if it is the fermentation process that turns it dark. Where did you come across this Black magic? You saw purple? I mean the color of the weed, not what you saw after smoking it lol. It’s potency is legendary.

9 Likes