Landrace Expansion & Trade

Hey @Vesti, “Hindu Kush” is a fairly broad term that could encompass several of those strains. It only really means a strain from the Hindu Kush mountain region, which encompasses much of Eastern Afghanistan to Northern Pakistan and Eastern India.

From my personal experience, I would only grow Deep Chunk or PTK to hybridize. They have some good qualities for making hybrids, and very stable pedigree with some good traits for breeding, but there are other “Hindu Kush” strains that I would usually prefer for growing and smoking. I think the MLI seems like a good option if you can find a good one (I haven’t grown it yet). And there are tons of great Hindu Kush heirlooms around. Even World of Seeds, which some people like to call World of Shit has a decent Hindu Kush.

I would probably not choose Sensi or Mr Nice as a first choice for those, myself. And also some of the lowland Afghans might meet your criteria. Here’s some that I have either grown, or that interest me, that are not hard to find:

Royal Queen Seeds - Special Kush #1
Seedsman - Narkush
Black Kandahar / Black Afghani
Bodhi - Cherry Queen (though not a very narcotic variety)
New420guy - Mazar-i-Sharif
New420guy - Post Traumatic Purple
Indian Landrace Exchange - Hindu Kush (might be a little more “wild” than heirlooms though)
Afghan Selections - Anything, but also might be more wild
Aficionados Colorado - Hindu Kush

21 Likes

I would agree with @lefthandseeds he’s a wealth of knowledge in this area.

10 Likes

@lefthandseeds

Thanks for that very informative note and sense of direction.

I’ve heard good things about the MLI, and will probably look for around for that, but put the others you mention on the old radar as well.

Thank you again man, I really appreciate the time and insight.

6 Likes

@zephyr has grown it recently I think. He might be able to tell you a little about it.

7 Likes

It might have also been Northern California Pineapple (Pineapple Thai). Snowhigh makes a couple strains using the Pineapple Thai.

3 Likes

I’ve got some jacalyn ‘f2’. it’s exactly this. it is afghan/Burma genetics inbred for 25 years that’s why I put f2 in quotes. pm me if youre interested.

8 Likes

@District_Flora i tried running two seeds, one seedling didnt look right and got rid of it, the other was a female so i ran it un week 4 maybe 5 in flower and it hermed out bad so i chopped. hoping yours will do better than mine. but like all things ill try again in the future, fingers crossed for you, yes he contacted me asking if i wanted some congo as well but after the Shashamane did the herm i decided to go a different way

3 Likes

Hey @Donnie, do you have any info on the Kalga that you could share?

I got a pack in the veterans giveaway. Sounds pretty good according to @Upstate. Thanks brother!

7 Likes

Hey @GMan , check out this site for the info you seek.

https://www.cocogenes.com/

4 Likes

The link Doug posted is your best info source , it’s where the beans came from .

3 Likes

I’m popping them all now, we’ll see. I’m sure he just lets them open pollinate outside, wondering if he paid much attention to which hermie or not, be a shame if it was the whole line

2 Likes

Anybody open to trade would like to get my hand on some landraces if possible !

Any particular landrace

Pakistani Kush strains perform much better in the Northeast than Afghani Kush. Chitral has mold resistant kush genetics, available via Kwik seeds, (a Real Seed Company affiliate)here in the states.
I’ve heard good things about Pine Tar Kush too( some potential for mold resistance, also Pakistani.
Deep Chunk and Maple Leaf Indica will rot outdoors in the Northeast From what I understand.
You’ll want to plant a good amount of seeds to make sure something finishes properly for you if you get Chitral. Most landrace Kush strains go into or past a mid October harvest…

7 Likes

I doubt the whole line is hermaphrodites. @rootfarmer has some going now…

2 Likes

Thanks for the note. I’ll take a look at the Chitral and other Pakistani lines, mold resistance seems to be getting more and more necessary here in the N/E.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the insight.

5 Likes

I really don’t know to much about them I just started reading up on them tbh … 28yrs old been doing commercial carpentry since I was 19maibly piece rate …as fast as you go is what you make …yeah yeah I’m young they say but fuck dude I feel old maybe joints and bone pain

4 Likes

Its not the years, its the mileage that matters. Carpentry racks up the miles! Been at it 30 years now. Your occupation explains Your Love of Durban. Excellent blue collar weed. I haven’t had any pure Durban that is Speedy yet, but I’ve only tried one so far.

8 Likes

I grew the maple leaf not long ago. It was a very easy plant to grow, very stress tolerant. It was definitely classic dutch genetics. Nice smells, good resin content. It made very nice concentrate.

The smoke is very thick and greasy with a yellow color. this is something I associate with dutch genetics. but it could also be an unrefined landrace trait. My grow pretty much always produces a thin white smoke, so it must be a genetic trait.

After smoking / vaporizing / medicating with it for about 3-4 months, I’m not quite sure what to conclude. It seemed very potent, but I developed a tolerance to it which rarely happens for me. If I wasn’t short on flower in general, I would have really enjoyed this one for occasional use. But it wasn’t the best fit for me as an every-day medical strain.

I liked it as a representation of a dutch afghani. It’s definitely potent and I like the high.

I’m not crazy about the harsh smoke. but I know some people that prefer weed like this, especially hydro growers and smokers who say that even though my bud is strong, smooth, and flavorful, my organic bud “doesn’t hit as hard” as hydro or commercial bud. They would definitely like this one.

10 Likes

Thanks for the note @zephyr.

Can I ask where you got them from?

3 Likes