Landrace Expansion & Trade

I was happy with the seeds I got from sweet seeds a Spanish company.

1 Like

In the case of the Thai Strain I got from WOS it had three wildly different pheno’s and this could mean a lot of things. But the three pheno’s had the same chemotype. A very distinct chemotype loaded THCV and my severe inflammation responded better than any other weed. Plus it crushes appetite and is like jet fuel for a workout. So I’m thrilled with my medicine after rebreeding the 3rd pheno(Gangly) out. And know this I cloned and tested 12 seeds in a pack it went on for over a year and the resulting seeds I bred have been tested to the max. Are my seeds Landrace? Hell no, are WOS Landrace? Possibly open Pollination from Thailand. But this strain has ZERO INTERSEX TRAITS. It doesn’t even preflower and I failed to get the female to reverse with Colloidal Silver.

2 Likes

There are good Spanish breeders, Tropical Seeds, Ace, Cannabiogen , and The Real Seed CO. ,FOR PURE LANDRACES! But, as I said before WOS does not have the greatest reputation among Spanish growers who grow landraces… I’m glad your happy with your WOS Thai and that everything you quoted in your first post came from their site… Ask anyone who grows landrace Sativa’s what they think about an 8 week Thai that looks like an indica Hybrid… No matter how much selection you have made… The thing is that you have simply found the indica leaning phenotype, then bred with them, and of course you end up with 8-10 week strain with fat indica leaves… Like I said I’m glad you like it and it works for you…

7 Likes

I know Skunk Genetics and My Wild Thailand from WOS had no skunk genetics.

1 Like

Those plants look amazing man wow

1 Like

Looks a lot like critical mass , a very popular Spanish strain. I have seen some sativa that will form big buds but in the form of spear colas and the less then 10 weeks of flower is unheard of in pure Thai lines. The fastest pure sativa lines I’ve seen finish in 14-16 weeks and that’s still twice as long.
Being familiar with what you may have seen as skunk does not give you the ability to determine it dose or dose not exist within another line, things can change drastically when breeding and skunk is a mix of plants with a wide range of characteristics so it would be very hard to predict what it would contribute to a breeding. I would be more inclined to guess afghani or some other indica variety has snuck its way into the mix one way or the other. The majority of weed being grown in Thailand now is not landrace Thai but a hybrid that allows for better yields and a faster harvest, same thing has happened in Mexico, Vietnam and many other places.

3 Likes

I have no idea but proud of what I’ve locked into regular seeds. It came from a Sativa that looked Thai but the Pheno I pulled out is far superior and loved by Sativa lovers and enjoyed as a change of pace by Indica people. It’s all just Genetic code to me. And of the 100 strains I own it’s tied for first overall.

4 Likes

That’s the key is to be happy with what you have and keep it around so your not depending on what the hype train market makes available. It’s a landrace thread with some die hard preservationists so we can’t help but yell hybrid and try to explain why it appears that way :grin:

7 Likes

It’s a hybrid from Landrace in my opinion. The original seed tested to F8 in my Intersex Traits stress tests. I believe it some bagseed they got from the area that came from some illegal growers open pollination. And I want to follow the landrace thread as I have keen interest in the field and learning. BTW probably half of Landrace sold are not Landrace, but you probably have a more accurate guess than my “half” guess.

3 Likes

Just look at WOS web site and look at the flowering times they quote for all of their landrace Sativa’s, They are all shorter than an actual tropical landrace sativa… Not only that ,but they come up with very elaborate stories of their strains… Also…

4 Likes

I agree, could be an afghani or any other indica or hybrid, I just used skunk as an example as it has been used so much in crosses…

2 Likes

I don’t know if you remember the old OG member MIG, well he is from Spain and if you are aware of him you will remember all the landraces he grows, mostly from Spanish breeders… Well he is the one that told me that Spanish growers called WORLD OF SEEDS World of Sh@t, and not to use them as they were an unreliable source… Being he grows so many Spanish breeders landraces, I take him for his word when he says to avoid them… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I won’t be growing mine out , everything I have got from them I have sense got from more reliable sources, From them I have kilamajaro , Colombian gold, Brazil Amazonian and maybe a couple others might have to donate them to somebody who is not as much of a purest. Was hoping the Colombian was pure but at this point I have to many doubts, I have Columbian Lines from the landrace team and some cabeca still from a member here.
@pookie123 i remember mig and his advice about wos, back then I figured he could be just spreading negative stuff as there is a lot of that in the seed industry but after looking into reviews , pictures and there own strain descriptions I wouldn’t feel confident using there lines for any type of preservation or breeding purposes.

2 Likes

Alright, I better check on out, good chatting, I let my insomnia get the best of me and it is just after 7AM here, and I have get some sleep, went to sleep too early, woke up in the middle of the night and now better try and get some more sleep… Good night, OR morning OG… :rofl:

2 Likes

I have a huge list and would trade for the WOS stuff. I got lucky once. And I’m in to breeding more than collecting.

1 Like

best Panama Red ever ---- Panama Red (Refferman’s) x pamama red sativa from Dr.Greenthumbs Guess after a while some breeders “sneek” genetics that don’t live up to there name thnaks for you input !!! Maybe after a while it’s all about making money and genetics being put to #2 instead of #1

1 Like

I think there is a need for both the preservationists that are trying to build landrace collections for preservation, and for crossbreeding or selecting these landraces to shorten their flower times and reduce intersex characteristics while maintaining the essence of the original. Most won’t grow a 20-26 week Colombian or pure Thai so these hybrids allow many to try something they would never grow.

I enjoy doing both. I probably have 100 pure landraces, or at least those with lower levels of contamination. I also have a few really nice hybrids. One that I really liked was from Sweet Seeds. Their Sweet Thai ran about 12 weeks. It had that wonderful Thai flavor, and a strong creeper buzz that SE Asian strains often have. It is a hybrid of their Super Thai and Early Skunk. I grew this plant on 12/12 from seed, and the main cola covers a 8.5x11" piece of paper. Not a pure thai strain but phenomenal because it captured many of the features people look for in Thai without the long flowering time.

Another hybrid I have that I plan to use with some Landrace Colombians at some point is Santa Maria F8 (Planck) from No Mercy. The Santa Maria clone was originally crossed to Silver Pearl x Mexican Haze and then back crossed to the orginal mother eight times. I don’t know how many 9’s that would be but the seeds, genetically, are now 99.9999999% Santa Maria but with a reasonable flowering time. I will at some point cross this to Mangobiche, Colombian Black, Colombian Red, etc. I’ll likely also try to preserve several of these.

I did grow one strain from WOS. Their Colombian, in my opinion, was also not a pure strain. It flowered in about 10 weeks, and had hybrid leaf structure. Not a bad plant but most likely not a selected Colombian. Because of this I did question all their strains, and they are not on the top of my list to work or do preservation of now. Again, not a bad plant but at a minimum probably not pure. Here is their Colombian.

@SativaKid your Thai plant looks awesome, and I’m sure many will want to give it a try, and also trade you other landraces and landrace hybrids. Your line could well be like the Santa Maria F8 or a pure selection of a short flowering pheno. This absolutely can be done, and Snowhigh has selected several landraces to shorten their flowering time over several generations. I do agree that based on my experience with WOS, I do also question if they are selling hybrids of these landraces.

Maybe we need a Worked and Hybrid Landrace Thread to separate from the purists that are trying to source and preserve the most pure landraces they can find.

Changing a strains flowering time with a hybrid can be dramatic. An example of this is Real Seed Co Mango Thai. I grew it, and it was a 26 week from seed to harvest on 12/12 from seed. I crossed it with X18 a pure Pakistani, and it dramatically changed both the flower structure, and the flowering time was cut to 10 weeks. Below is a picture of both the Mango Thai with wispy single flower strand buds, and the Mango Thai x X18. I bet there are also long flowering phenos in the cross, as well as, ones that lean more towards the Mango Thai structure but with a shorter flowering time.

Mango Thai

Mango Thai x X18
Mango Thai Day 72 cropped - CBB

26 Likes

World of Seeds needs to stop calling it their “Pure Origins” collection, imo. Otherwise, there’s no issue with selling landrace hybrids rather than preservations. It’s the false advertising I have a problem with. Hybridized landrace seeds are not pure, and trying to weasel their way out of it by saying that the origins are pure landrace seeds that were then hybridized is complete and utter nonsense. They’re scammers, plain and simple. Whether their seeds grow into decent plants or not is irrelevant.

10 Likes

If you read previously there was 3 pheno’s in the one strain. I bred the pheno’s selectively to get my results not breeding in some Russian trash. It was a freak deal, plus I know it’s not a landrace.

2 Likes

Colombian gold is a shorter flowering plant compared to the other land race sativas but that does look awfully modern. I definitely agree most people can’t or won’t grow 16+ week strains and would be disappointed in the results any ways. Most people who think they prefer sativa would be much happier with a worked line that still has the sativa effects. There are many great hybrids that have the sativa terps and high but with a much better growth structure and flower time. There great to keep pure as a breeding source of genetic material but over all pure indica and pure sativa have there down falls that are corrected by properly crossing the two back and forth. That is after all how we got the modern strains of today. I’d rather grow a hybrid when it comes to head smoke and production values but there is a lot of value in keeping lines pure especially older landrace types.

6 Likes