Landrace strains - general thread

The definition of Heirloom is variety of plant that has originated under cultivation and that has survived for several generations usually due to the efforts of private individuals. In other words man made.

5 Likes

http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/agphome/documents/PGR/PubPGR/ResourceBook/B.1.pdf

2 Likes

The way I usually classify (not that it’s right or wrong) is a landrace is a varietal from a region and as far as our history goes… came from that region

Heirlooms I usually classify as like island strains like Aruba and Jamaica. Their roots are probably a mix of landrace varietals from South America and Africa… but they have climatized to the islands and over time begun to become a heirloom varietal of their own.

Always down to learn more, so correct me if I’m wrong.

And also, not all land races are the same… a landrace varietal from the mountains of Afghanistan will be very different from a population found wild in the valleys.

Then is a new landrace…

Igual que los Conquistadores cultivaban en América landraces africanas y asiáticas en América, y tras años de cruces espontáneos y bajo selección natural se originaron nuevas landraces…

Just as the Conquistadores in America cultivated African and Asian landraces in America, and after years of spontaneous crossings and under natural selection, new landraces originated …

5 Likes

An heirloom can be a landrace but not all heirlooms are landraces
I think the definition of landrace is still up for debate, after looking at quite a few interpretations the consensus seems to be:-

• Adapted to local environment

• Domesticated / Human selection for desirable traits

• Survival of the fittest / natural selection has applied

• Diversity of genomes

• Uniformity of appearance - Even this is contested

seems like pretty much anything else is up for debate

Of course! @LED_Seedz has given us a good definetion of “heirloom vegetal”…

2 Likes

I think it isent allways necesary to be a landrace… But always necesary to be a heirloom…

2 Likes

I suppose that can be true but isn’t it just native/wild then?
Its personal opinion I guess

1 Like

The “first” landraces in Asia were native/wild… I think.

La selección masiva medioambiental debe estar presente en una landrace, y la humana en una heirloom…

2 Likes

I would say that human is required in landrace and heirloom but landrace must also survive natural selection, just my opinion.

Were the first landraces wild or naturalised?

I like this definition, I think it suits both our preferences?

“As a landrace has a complex and indefinable nature an all-embracing definition cannot be given. However, I suggest the following:
an autochthonous landrace is a variety with a high capacity to tolerate biotic and abiotic stress, resulting in a high yield stability and an intermediate yield level under a low input agricultural system.A.C. Zeven
c/o Department of Plant Breeding, Agricultural University, The Netherlands

The last part suggests that It can but doesn’t need to be agricultural. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Funny thing about landraces is that no commercial grower wants them.

LETS GO BACK IN TIME. No internet, no Spanish books on growing.

People always imagine the hippy, or Jorge Cervantes up in the mountains attending the grow :joy:.

Imagine you need to find someone to take care of your field. Who do you get? Remember, You have to pay them, so, do you look for the smartest most expensive cartaker you can??? ( also remember this person has to drop everything and go live in the field for 3 months) Nope, you look for the cheapest person you can find because you have a selling price of $20USD PER POUND.

Ok, so we found a drunk that has nothing to do and has agreed to go stay in the field.

Question. Do you think that guy knows or cares about selective breeding? :sweat_smile: Do you think he has mad growing skills?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The outdoor commercial growers fertilizer of choice, triple 20!!! Whoooo Hooooo!!!

Tropical growing is different than growing in the north thus each respective harvest during the year will result in a different appearance in the plants even when using clones or the same seed stock.

I was in a 5 acre field once looking for plants to dig up, bring inside to reveg, and The growers didn’t even know what hermaphrodites were. I am talking full blown half male half female plants.

There are some exceptions to this. I have found some growers that do know a lot about growing from trial and error. But these are generally smaller growers that represent less than one percent of one percent of national growers.

So, old landrace seeds from here from a long time ago are not grown anymore. Anywhere you go now the growers have seeds from X place or Y that someone sent them to try. ( when they have no idea what strain it is)

5 Likes

Dorada de Sinaloa by Sergio in Mexican mountains.

15 Likes

Shith, not in my grow… My dogs will eat him alive…

4 Likes

I would pay good money to see that. :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

old world organics has a few neat strains, acclimated to 45* north. they also have a pure unworked landrace section which is empty atm.

3 Likes

Interesting did not know Aruba had any landrace strains . Been there love it .

3 Likes

Neither did I! …until I grew this ole girl

Here’s the description from Bodhi and as usual… it’s pretty spot on!

Bodhi Seeds Aruba are marijuana seeds that grow like an indica, originally from Aruba the small island off the coast of Venezula. These Cannabis seeds produce beautiful, compact, resinous buds that smell of tropical fruits and flowers with unique tones of bananna and warm spices. Similar to a very high quality jamaican, stoning sativa high with super irie effects, and a fast triggering and flowering cycle in outdoor environments. Great breeder to take down the stretch and flower time of other long flowering sativas. this is a very special line for landrace lovers.

14 Likes

I love reading talk alout landrace strains here on over grow community.

apparently oldworldorganics.net is their new website and they’ll be adding full stock over this week, maybe that’s why their pure landrace section was empty. they have 3 acclimatized landraces and 3 landrace hybrids listed atm.

the guy also said this week they’ll be listing a limited amount of packs for a congolese sativa as part of their 4/20 special. i know @pookie123 loves those african landraces

7 Likes

Wow I highly doubt that it is from There originally like landrace . However the description sounds like someone got some seeds from The Jamaican herb that frequents there and planted some. And over the years some selections done . The climate there is not ideal for wild growths of canna . Plenty of sun arrid conditions at times.

1 Like