Landrace strains - general thread

@Craigson15 did you ever pop those Caribbean cruize

1 Like

Saw somebody mention Vietnamese black any chance somebody still has some available

1 Like

No fude theyll probably be in the vault for a while unfortunately. Cbd crosses r up next
Im not set up for sativas yet and I doubt theyd finish outdoor here

Possibly want to trade a few for something I have ? trying to preserve as many land race varieties as I can

Also wondering who can tell me about the weed grown in Rio do norte brazil ,specifically in cabeca de negro , any southern members care to chime in

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

We have a dedicated filter to specifically find Landrace varietals.
The same filter can be used for Heirlooms, IBLs, BXs, etc.

Hopefully we can help with recovering some lost treasures. Letā€™s back up each other :wink:

5 Likes

I bought 3 and a half fingered bags of that shit seeded in the '70ā€™s Straight up Columbian Gold. Now those seeds would be worth something today.

1 Like

A breeder I follow on IG #blackpackseeds is also working this line. Where his originals came from I do not know. He was making a claim of increased anthocyanins. He has a couple crosses and released them as testers. His 4 freebies are labeled (DBf4xHP)f3.

1 Like

Does anyone have any direct experience with the Waipiā€™o Hapa strain, a ā€œlandraceā€ or maybe more appropriately an heirloom from the Waipiā€™o Valley on the big island of Hawaii?

All Iā€™ve been able to find is the Centennial Seeds description, repeated ad nauseum:

3 Likes

I have seeds that I acquired recently. I havenā€™t had the time to run them yet but Iā€™ll post a grow log when I do.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got some of yours on deck to pop my brother @lefthandseeds. Jungle Spice if Iā€™m not mistaken. Any Grow tips for this strain? Thank you by the way! Love and Respect

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Nothing really out of the ordinary. Itā€™s not very picky or particular. Glad to hear your sprouting them! Iā€™m really excited to see what people get out of the F2s

1 Like

It is an honor and a pleasure my friend!

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I have Waipiā€™o Hapa (its a Big Island heirloom), along with several other Hawaii stains (Pua Mana, Waiahole and Cherry Bomber). I donā€™t know where you get your map info from, but Waipiā€™o Valley is on the north end of the Big Island in the Hamakua District. It is not on Oahu. Waiahole is a strain from east Oahu, from the Waiahole Valley. Maybe that is what you are thinking of? They are both pure sativas, and like Maui Wowie, likely a SW Mexican landrace descendant IMO, as they finish pretty early.

4 Likes

Would love to smoke some puna or other Hawaiian heirlooms, use to smoke that stuff back in the day glad somebody is keeping it alive , the few seeds I grew from Hawaiian nugs grew short fat indica style plants with dinner plate sized 13 leaf fan leaves. Havent seen plants like that sense.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a big island strain - my bad, read ā€œnorth shoreā€ and my surfer brain went to Oahu. Corrected for the record. Thanks for the info. Whatā€™s ā€œpretty earlyā€ for a SW Mexican landrace?
Peace -b420

3 Likes

SW Mexican sativa landraces tend to finish around mid October outdoors in the west US. As opposed to North Mexicans sativa landraces that finish in mid to late November. Or Colombians and Thai that finish in late December or even early January. People say sativa and they think of really late harvest times. SW Mexico strains being from Oaxaca, Morelos, Michoacan and Guerrero.

5 Likes

Some original Kona Gold, Maui Waui and Maui Wowie beans and cuts are still around the west coast and Hawaii. Waipiā€™o and Puna are a lot harder to get. Some like Hana and Waiahole may or may not have survived in their former quality. I am always looking for them though. A lot of these are watered down versions after many generations of in breeding. Many have been crossed with OG, skunk, indicas. South India strains are getting to be like that. Real Kerala sativa is a rarity now.

6 Likes

I do have some Kona that was kept by a family in norcal sense the 1970s and some Maui seeds I havent grown out but the puna has some very interesting growth traits from the pictures Iā€™ve seen. The puna has defiently survived ,at least on the main island but the seeds hardly ever leave. If somebody had a friend on the islands prob wouldent be to hard to track down.

4 Likes

Interesting thread and information, outside of the drama I have enjoyed browsing while reflecting on the remnants of the landrace and the availability. Be it private circles, open markets these remnants by majority are just this. Without a really good sized open pollination each generation loses genetic diversity. With this said just about all of the remnants are nothing compared to what they were in the natural environment and a population.

I have been pretty fortunate in life having learned from the land races of yesterday eventually finding my first hybrids within import from Mexico after the Indicas were pushed upon the farmers and it flooded into the states eliminating the old summer drought we always had to deal with waiting for the fall harvestā€™s.

My father was selling pot ever since I could recall and it was interesting seeing the many types he would try to grow behind our house, even though most of these really good seeds were from even further south than the typical Mexican he sold. Having that mob connection allowed him to always have a limited supply of South American varieties even though none of these would actually even flower this far north. It was not until I was climbing 14ā€™ Afghanistan plants that I realized how important they were unlike the ones he usually sold by the garbage bag of leaf. This really helped me to better understand how diverse this plant is early on in life well before I began to grow myself in the late 80ā€™s. Since the late 90ā€™s so much more has changed then just that forced introduction of the Afghanistan into Mexico I mentioned.

I have been working with a lot of very refined land races the past ten years or so while really only finding true diversity within the African types predominantly.

I know thereā€™s a few good people traveling and seeking the rarest in places like India as example, but they too all too often bring, or send back adulterated stock all too often contaminated with Afghanistan/Skunk genes, no different than the King demands for more hash production with the introduction of Moroccan plants and the infusions within the Indica/Kush Afghanistan types.

recently I witnessed this Sar Hawza said to be a rare Hindu Kush brought back after being found in the mountains actually be tagged with Skunk by Phylos, even though it actually had a wide range of mountain Afghanistan hash plants or highland as some say within the genomes. Out of several different people to run that "Sar Hawza I was the only one that actually found a Kush type , even though it is more Kashmir like than Hindu. Most of the other looked a lot more like Moroccan then Afghaniā€¦

These are just my thoughts and two sense and examples. I think I can actually agree with the scientific community stating that thereā€™s no such thing left as a pure cannabis type( outside of what I have been working with straight from Africa.)

1 Like