Landrace strains - general thread

No lambs bread , some south american strains but not that specificaly

2 Likes

I have mazar i sharif by gypsy nirvana. Theyā€™re yours if you want them. I have a 5 pack.

3 Likes

@Kingkush312 I apreciate the offer but another member here already is sending me a pack to play with so Id just be greedy taking yours to lol , Iā€™m sure you can trade them on here though if you dont have a interest in them.

3 Likes

Omg man that sux all around, you getting popped and losing those awesome beans- Iā€™d love to get ahold of the real deal Thai- Iā€™ve only had one true plant of Thai and some asshole ripped it along with my entire outdoor crop boy she was gorgeous too :cry:

North Korea is actually very liberal in its approach to Cannabis. Kinda funny that the worldā€™s most oppressive regime has more cannabis liberty than we do.

4 Likes

unfortunately I didnā€™t have any luck germing the malana due to some kind of fungal, algae, or bacterial contamination of the seeds. These are 2014 stock gathered on site in malana village. Iā€™ll be trying again next year, Iā€™d love to hear if you have any ideas for germing those.

Iā€™ve already tried a decent number of techniques, most just decompose or die off after popping their tap roots. Iā€™ve even got a few successful sprouts, but they never produced true leaves.

3 Likes

Have you tried fulvic or a product called fulpower?

https://www.bioag.com/products/ful-power/
Good Luck!

:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

@zephyr there are ways of cleaning and sterilizing seeds before germinating to help combat this, I doubt the age has anything to do with it as much as landraces can be vulnerable to foreign disease and pests they have never had the chance to form a resistance to, if you have any left and are having trouble Iā€™d be willing to give it my best shot, I have stuff I could trade and would be happy to send you some back if I get them to grow

2 Likes

I have tried ful-power, no luck unfortunately.

2 Likes

Age is not the problem, my germination rates for other stock from 2014 and prior have been great.
It seems to be a fungal or algal contamination, probably from the source. Who know how the plants were harvested, dried and handled by the local growers before Angus at real seed co got them. Based on some of the photos, it looks like these seeds might even be left over from charas rubbing.

I have tried the standard hydrogen peroxide sterilization with no luck, a probiotic treatment, seaweed tea, and compost tea. I have also tried various direct sow methods with organic amended native soil (I have volcanic clay soil here which should be a good match in ph for himalayan soil), commercial seed starter mix, and other mixes I made myself. so far direct sow has shown the best results, but non of the starts produced true leaves after sprouting with their cotyledon start leaves. Let me know if you have any other ideas for next season.

3 Likes

I typically soak my seeds. Recently, Iā€™ve started just using a little spash of peroxide in the shot glass. Side benefit, the seeds donā€™t sink, so itā€™s unlikely that theyā€™ll drown.

7 Likes

To clarify in my aged stoned mind, a splash of peroxide in the shot glass of water? I have stopped using the paper towel. When they pop and show any tail, straight to damp coco. Thanks for that @lefthandseeds. One Loveā€¦

5 Likes

Yea just a little squirt into the water. I keep it pretty dilute, but it seems to be plenty to keep the mold/fungi crap from growing.

7 Likes

@zephyr sounds like you have exausted all of the common fixes , can you describe what they do a little better, are the seeds turning to mush inside?
They do sell at home tissue culture kits for starting seeds, the material used to start the seed has hormones to help and provides a sterile enviroment so it gives it time to establish a strong root system before being exposed to the natural world. Iā€™ll make sure to order two or three packs once I can afford it in case I have similar issues

2 Likes

Thanks for that @Heritagefarms. Good info. Bookmarked! Peaceā€¦

1 Like

here are the outcomes of my attempts to start 3 packs of malana cream (17 seeds)

1. after 3-5 days the seed casings look fine, but the insides have turned to mush like you described.

2. of the seeds that make it past day 5, about half stall after cracking or popping open a small taproot. if I open them up, they have a small taproot attached to a tiny withered green blob, which should be an embryo made of fat and proteins that form the cotyledons.

3. some sprout, but the seed is just an embryo with a tiny unformed nut instead of cotyledons. these die off within 1 to 3 days.

4. the ones that sprout succefully have pale cotyledons and they never form true leaves. They have survived up to 18 days without change or growth, but never mature.

5 Likes

@zephyr nematodes and fungas nat larva will often turn seeds to mush like that, also if seeds are old sometimes they can lack the nutrient reserves to grow and they instead drown or rot. There are some very specific seed soaks that may help with this. Alfalfa seed starter soak might help Iā€™d consider the tissue culture seed starting method it tends to have great results with old seeds. Itā€™s a sterile medium that has the nutrients and hormones the seed may be lacking.

8 Likes

I got some Molokaā€™i frost and Manitoba poison, itā€™s as landracey as I have so far. Havenā€™t grown them out yet but I be sure to have a grow diary.

2 Likes

Sinai is really good. I think because the Bedouin plant it in mud from the Nile and feed it the shit from their camels, itā€™s over 100 degrees during the day and gets dry and freezing at night, itā€™s a strong plant and the buzz is medicinal and I could ID smoking it through blind taste test. IDK where you would get seeds and the Bedouin arenā€™t able to be in charge of anything there at present, haha not worth it to me to try to buy from isis or whoever has it now.

6 Likes
8 Likes