Landraces and heirloom (Part 2)

You must be having many Indian landraces but if you want to try what I have just LMK.
:v:&:green_heart:

1 Like

Corinto Clones…

Hardening of outside before flipping…lovely change of colour.!

P J

Ps. Flower is
Etlingera is a genus of Indo-Pacific herbaceous perennial flowering plants in the gingerfamily, Zingiberaceae, consisting of more than 100 species found in tropical regions of the Old World.[2]

I’m chuffed as it’s the first time it’s flowered.

IMG_4199|666x500

Mama Corinto.

20 Likes

@Upstate Here’s your pic. Huix females are the three in the back. Oaxacan males are on the right. My male Huix is looking droopy today so not pictured. The smallest male is the red Oaxacan.

No females are actually in flower. Still waiting.

9 Likes

@Grayeyes Nice. Looks like they just started gearing up to flower. I hope you have some nice ones… Huixtepec can be really good.

1 Like

@Upstate , thanks. The big Huix I dusted with the red Oaxacan pollen on preflowers and it has been shattering seeds. Still no flowers on any of them. I am collecting pollen from the Huixtepec male. Some day they have to bloom.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find a better place to ask this so I thought I’d ask here. Does anyone know of any semi-auto flowering sativa landraces like Beldia or Sinai that are more resistant or immune to powdery mildew? I didn’t run into the issue last year but this year I did not heavily defoliate the two ACE and Khalifa Genetics Beldia plants I’m growing and they both got it pretty bad in the middle of flowering. I removed all the PM infected material and most of the fan leaves, hopefully managed to contain it. I made some seeds with a narrow leaflet lemon leaning Verde Limón male which will lead to more resistant plants once I’ve done the selection work, but in general I try to grow and produce seed from outdoor plants that will not get powdery mildew at all. Any help would be much appreciated.

5 Likes

Short answer? I think you named the semi-auto sativa options, outside of Sudan.

Are you growing these in containers or in the ground? IME in ground plants have a much stronger resistance to PM. I’ve also used milk to combat PM when in containers with some success.

2 Likes

I forgot about Sudan. Do you or anyone else reading this happen to know if that one is more resistant to PM? I have the Beldias in a plastic tote i converted into a pot and I know the soil in there isn’t as healthy as the main fabric bed I use so that’s part of it. Also under the shade of a birch that is shedding PM spores. They’re within 2-4 weeks of finishing so I would prefer not to spray anything if possible. I also meant to mention there is a 3 leaved runt from the Khalifa Genetics batch with light green leaves in the shade of the bigger Beldias that is free of powdery mildew so maybe that’s the keeper?

3 Likes

I discovered at my own expense that there is no variety immune to powdery mildew, usually you find immune or resistant specimens, I even saw original haze affected by powdery mildew, next to Hindukush x oaxaca totally immune…

7 Likes

Sadly my experience is the same, if it’s extant locally all you can do is try to avoid it. Keep your plants outside the drip line of trees or give them a cover of some sort.

4 Likes

I grew ACE Beldia and it was resistant to PM but not spider mites or thrips.

6 Likes

I agree there is some resistance in the population since it has not spread as quickly as it would on denser cultivars this far into flower, and the ACE Beldia I grew last year in clay didn’t get it. The ACE one I’m growing this year was the one that got PM. Mostly my fault, but its a shame since there’s this clementine note to the aromatics on top of the raw honey/mint/eucalyptus which is really pleasant. The big Khalifa Genetics one had around the same level of PM but more a caramel/buttery/cashew tone to the honey smell with less mint and what looks like a longer flowering time. I can get some pictures up in a few hours so people can see the difference between the two versions if anyone is interested.

5 Likes

@holygroveseed I didn’t get any PM with the Sudanese, but it was very susceptible to leaf fungus’s such as septoria. The thing is I didn’t have pm Very much a couple years ago either. All it takes is one cultivar that is highly susceptible and it will give it to the others in many cases , even if it takes a while. This year I had one that was susceptible that gave it to the others. I also had Beldia PM. As you said, Khalifa version is not terribly bad. Definitely show some pics😁! We love pictures.

There’s a couple landraces I’ve grown that I think could be immune, but it’s very rare. Lots of places harvest.their weed during a dry season so there may be or may be no need for much pm resistance depending on humidity levels. Also, isn’t this powdery mildew strain going around this country a new, more potent version? Maybe even landraces known to be immune could be susceptible to this new version, I don’t know. Seems possible if it is a new PM strain. Google says Pm likes cool, humid nights and warm dry days…and I can tell you it doesn’t mind the wet days either.

6 Likes

Most plants from dry environments will be prone to these PM infestations when taken out of their natural environment. Just like how tropical landraces have higher resistances since they come from environments with endless microscopic organisms wreaking havoc with all that aqua.

6 Likes

@GREANDAL

Corinto ( Corinthian

The little variation in the plants is becoming noticeable.

Chica 2

The smallest of the three…but a beautiful structure…with strong limbs…this one isn’t supported ( yet

Very. Very Sativa…

Nice trio of sisters

P J

25 Likes

as promised…Moroccan Beldia 8/17/24

ACE

ACE (close up)

Khalifa Genetics

Khalifa Genetics runt

26 Likes

Guys, I’m kinda lost with all the talk about PM. As I was shown by no longer member “Big Sur/PanchoVilla” just dump some hydrogen peroxide in some water and spray it on. End of PM, period.

I once dosed my entire grow by brushing against a tree that had white PM all over it. Sprayed them and the next day no PM.

1 Like

I was hoping you’d get three different looks! Looking good :blush:

2 Likes

Did you see this thread yet? powdery-mildew-an-easily-exterminated-parasite?

It changed my growing.

7 Likes

I’ve tried it. Unfortunately hydrogen peroxide has to be constantly reapplied if outdoors. There’s a constant influx of fresh spores to land on the plants and the morning dew and rains do away with the peroxide protection. I’m finding the same is true with sulphur. I’m going to have to use some peroxide on some panama plants shortly. The other option is to sponge sulfur on the affected leaves and reapply after a rain.

3 Likes