Landraces and heirloom (Part 2)

Looking good @holygroveseed.
@Panamajock coming along slowly. I bet you’re getting excited. I hope you have some real special Corintos there.

2 Likes

Appreciate it, I’m familiar with Joe’s thread. Unfortunately too late to apply sulfur for these Beldias but I’ve been thinking about applying some to the birch branches next year as a preventative. I’m not going to do the sulfur soil drench strategy since it will undo the years of work I’ve done establishing native micro and macro fungal populations in my living soil raised bed.

2 Likes

A guy I know painted some plants going into flower with a paintbrush (and sulfur) last week. I’ll report back if he’s able to eradicate his PM without covering the whole plant.

2 Likes

Potassium Bicarbonate, or citric acid . Both take the ph down out of range for PM.

5 Likes

The problem with many of these approaches for me, like @Upstate mentioned, is I live in a climate where the morning dew condenses on the leaves every morning, making them wet, and rinses off whatever you apply to it. I don’t have the patience or energy to be constantly applying something every day. So I’m stuck with removing leaves, and holistic preventatives like plant microbiome, proper silicate content in soil, and genetics. And more harsh ones like culling any plants that are vulnerable to PM in veg.

4 Likes

I did the same thing either using my finger or a sponge dipped into sulfur water. It works until it gets rained off. Mold spores are everywhere where I am. I’m in a valley, next to a stream, on an island. Nearby swamps. Rains 3-5 ×’s/ week. Dew every night. But for the dry stretches it’s worth doing. Probably bought me a week or two which made the difference in the end.
@holygroveseed Definitely need to be smart with what you grow, that’s for sure. Or be prepared To breed with something long enough that it gains resistance.

6 Likes

That same friend was telling me that his whole tent was infested except for one plant, Exotic2 from Compound Genetics. He contacted a guy at the company who confirmed it’s resistant. Not sure what this information is for, just tossing :put_litter_in_its_place: it out there…

2 Likes

I think you are missing a crucial part of Joe’s information.

I must admit that I did not yet succeed in exterminating it from my garden, but I’m close. The difference with last season is enormous.
The problem is that I always have plants in different stages of flowering which makes it difficult to eradicate, but I am getting confident that I will succeed.

His findings align with my experience: I started getting PM after receiving a clone. Before I did not have it at all, zero. While the squash etc had it.

Here’s my summary of his golden info:

GET TO KNOW YOUR ENEMY

1. Powdery Mildew is very host specific. The PM you see on squash will not infest your cannabis plant and visa-versa. Even the hop PM will not infest your cannabis. That means that the PM on your plants only comes from other infested cannabis plant(material)

2. He only found one treatment that kills the fungus colony so far and that is sulfur. Other things can knock back PM, but not eradicate the colony.

3. This is his list of stuff that definitely won’t work:

• baking soda
  • vinegar
  • potassium bicarbonate
  • ultra violet radiation
  • systemic fungicides
  • LABS
  • hydrogen peroxide
  • Fulvic acid
  • dr zymes
  • lost coast therapy
  • magic dance
  • water
  • urine
  • magnesium
  • copper
  • manganese
  • earthworm casting tea
  • low humidity
  • chitosan
  • silica
  1. It is a persistent myth that PM (spores) are everywhere and will come fly into your grow with the wind. Yes PM can disperse through the air, but he says only about 6 meters. Definitely not the kilometers a lot of people believe.

2. PM finds new hosts by being dispersed from one live plant to another. Or from (dead) plant material to a live plant. Outdoors this usually happens at planting/ germination stage in early spring.

3. It takes 40 days from the start of the colony to a colony visible to the naked eye. UV light helps to spot colonies earlier than that. As do microscopes. UV light also helps greatly by finding the overwintering PM spots on dead plant material.

EXTERMINATE

Indoors:
Restart with your whole room vegging.
Remove all plant debris. Cleaning is not necessary.
Spray all the plants 2 times with sulfur, 2 weeks apart.
1 tablespoon of 90% sulfur for a liter of water. Shake your mister constantly or add a surfactant.
Done.
Don’t bring in infected cannabis plant material again.

Outdoors:
Scorched Earth: In early spring spray the soil with sulfur on places where there were plants growing previous season. Do this two weeks apart. I’ve seen him mention you can use double the dosage, but most of the times he says just to use the normal dosage of 1 tablespoons for a liter.

If you start from seed you’re good to go.
If you start from clones you have to spray them 2 times, 2 weeks apart before putting them outside.
Done.

CAUTION
Do not spray sulfur after an oil-based spray, it will damage your foliage badly. Joe says to wait 30 days to be on the safe side. But he also says that he never tested the limit. I’ve seen other people mention to rinse the oil off with a few foliar feeds and then you can apply after about 14 days.

Do not spray sulfur on flowering plants, it’s gross.

10 Likes

To get back on the topic, this is tent I showed previously.

Got more Oaxacan pearls than I thought. One faster with ample resin in the back

24 Likes

I agree, I thought I had found a strain that was immune to PM last year as it was untouched and most everything around (except the cedars) were hit.

…Nope… :slightly_frowning_face:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Holy shit! That’s an amazing summary, and I love it.

2 Likes

Got to call bs on this one bud.

Powdery mildew in the flower garden | UMN Extension.
That’s the link to the article from a university. I can link numerous more if you’d like to read them.
I’ve never once heard of a fungus spore that only spreads 6 meters that isn’t going to help all living things do what they are trying to do reproduce and spread.
Also there is some pm that isn’t species specific
Just something to think about.

5 Likes

It might also depend on whether it’s endemic to the local area or how hostile the local climate is. I’m pretty sure it’s never landed anywhere near my house, but I brought it in once on a clone.

1 Like

It’s not going to survive in conditions that aren’t in their survival range. I live in a desert I have had pm nor have I worried about it. Now spider mites love dry hot conditions and I battle those buggers all summer.

3 Likes

The one thing makes me shut EVERYTHING down. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I don’t ever want to deal with them again.

5 Likes

Ya I don’t bring outside plants inside anymore because of a horrible plant devastation experience?:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Your mistake was looking it up :slight_smile: I extracted that information from the parasite itself. Spreads further than .5 meters but less than 6 meters.

1 Like

You can fight with Joe over that.
I am just reaping the rewards from not listing to that information, that’s all that counts for me.

I think it eventually comes to a rather simple question to fight Joe: find me a grower that only ever grew from seed and has PM.

2 Likes

raises hand

3 Likes

I know there is a few on here that battle pm and only grow from seed. They may not speak up cause they’d rather stay out of it. It’s not my place to name them, but one spoke up already. well he is quite knowledgeable but no all knowledgeable. Sorry aphids do lay eggs, but they can clone and have live birth. I’m sure he remembers this statement. 95% straight up smartess scientific mind I’ve seen on here.

Anyways red skunk 18 by @gregog

13 Likes