Landraces and heirloom (Part 2)

And some BSHW

18 Likes

@rasterman She was smelly already in veg, my favourite from the start. But photoperiod, which was not really what I was looking for. I kept her anyway and I’m glad I did. Must be what Angus calls something like pungent indica type.

Can’t say there is rose or turkish delight on any of them though. You may remember I planted another 10 or so to find another one like this but I did not succeed.

Also it’s quite interesting that they all seem like they might finish at the same time. The one above was planted late April and started flowering at about 14 hours of daylight. Flowering is really fast now. The next was planted at the same time and started flowering after a few weeks

Topping may have delayed her a bit. And the next one was planted a month later, flowered after a few weeks too.

So from the small sample it seems that semi autoflowering in this strain does not really give an advantage regarding harvest time. The semi autos start earlier but take much longer than the photoperiod plant and harvest time might be the same for all. The boys threw pollen early though (they are long dead). The semi auto plants did not have much sun, maybe that plays a role too. All were started indoors and put outside later.

16 Likes

Thanks for the write-up! :pray: I don’t know what would be the advantage to humans of semi-auto…

2 Likes

Almost entirely for outdoor growers. In their native climate I would assume to time production with ideal growing (and drying) season. Most semi-autos start flowering after the summer solstice and finish at latest early October. So you get more cannabinoid production occurring during peak summer UV, which is especially good for sativas where higher THCB/THCH levels are desired. The two larger sativa phenotype Beldias I grew this year were planted on June 1st and harvested on August 30th (ACE) and September 13th (Khalifa) before the fall rains started so that was very advantageous for me.

For the home grower, I see the biggest appeal from stabilized semi-auto flowering hybrids between THC-dominant sativa phenotypes of semi-autoflowering lines like Beldia, Sinai, Lebanese, Syrian, Crimea etc. and longer flowering tropical sativas so you could get a harvest of these tropical lines without having to go through the effort of light dep or 4 months of electricity bills. If the semi-auto hybrid flowered long enough and had the cold and fungal tolerance, you could also get the benefit of the late autumn cold boosting the terpene and aromatic expression.

The fact that they will reveg faster on 18:6 light cycles also makes them easier to use in breeding than autos in my opinion, provided you know what light cycle triggers flowering.

13 Likes

This is exactly why I am looking into semi autos at the moment. I am hoping to work strains to make them outdoor compatible to my area. Long flowering sativas that start earlier so they will be able to finish, indicas that finish before PM rears its ugly head and in general strains that make use of the sun when it is most powerful. Beldia and Sinai were the first I tried this year and I already learned a lot. Sudanese and Syrian will probably be next.

Two harvests in one season would also be nice but it seems like that won’t work with semi autos.

8 Likes

Thanks I can’t wait to drop strawberry headband, garlic bud x boel Hawaiian and some of the istans!

4 Likes

A short while back in this thread there was mention of pre-Columbian transatlantic voyages between China and Mexico as well as China and Africa. I’m of the belief that humans have been able to make intentional transoceanic voyages of both trade and exploration for a long time before Columbus, and even before the use of sails on ships. I believe humans have enjoyed cannabis before the use of sails on ships as well. What I find especially fascinating is Mexico and it’s geographic significance relating to traversing the globe using the oceans currents. Direct routes from West Africa to Vera Cruz and from the Gulf of Tehuantepec to the South China Sea supposedly happen naturally without the need for a sail. Even more, this route across Mexico from the Pacific coast to Vera Cruz pretty much runs the line of the isthmus of Tehuantepec. It’s basically one of the shortcuts across the globe and I don’t find it happenstance that the culture modern history calls the Olmecs set up on the Vera Cruz side of this shortcut.

@Upstate I’d imagine there have been many points of contact and trade of Chinese wide leaf types in Mexico since antiquity, including those with the Spanish more recently. As things are often lost or changed with time, I would imagine the most likely influence for wide leaf Chinese cannabis in Mexico to be from more recent waves of trade and cultural immersion, more specifically the late 1800’s to the early 1900’s as Chinese came to Mexico. Many came after building the Railroad in the US along with pressure from the Chinese Exclusion Act. Others came on contract to work in various ways. Some for agriculture as it was said they were the only workers who could bear the intense heat and other harsh conditions of the region. I want to say that I read somewhere that they were tasked with building a railroad across the isthmus, which could be one of the possible reasons for wide leaf types hybrids observed in the region. Somewhere else I read that the Chinese brought with them not only their unique skills of agriculture, but also the business of trafficking an illicit agricultural product, in this context opium from poppies which would pave the way for Mexico being an illicit agricultural supplier to the US market with cannabis.

I’m hopeful there are some antiquated reflections still to be found from those voyages I believe happened long ago, and that it’s not all been hybridized into extinction. Many blessings and much love

5 Likes

@Sbeanonnamellow Too bad there is such limited access to the Chinese genepool. It would be nice to have some comparison plants to look at. Sounds reasonable to think something was brought to Mexico during the railroad days. Surely during the gold and silver trade during previous centuries also saw Chinese seeds grown in Mexico. The big grey seed Mexican is likely of Chinese descent. I haven’t seen such big grey seeds from other places yet. Pakistan seed can be grey, but not so big.

3 Likes

Lolab Valley 2024 volunteers. Maybe pure, maybe not. Great plants. Bigger buds and better resin than last year. The pink one is good enough to be ganja. The purple one is untested

34 Likes

I haven’t heard of those two yet. I’ll have to look them up. Seems like there is a new cannabinoid to talk about every month these days.

1 Like

Wow. Look at them glow in the golden hour light.

1 Like

So prettty :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guerrero

Nanan

Huixtepec

BSHW looking nice

29 Likes

Thanks All Ogers ,
Nice plants good job @GREANDAL Michoacans
BSHW…GOOD GREAT worth a outdoor organics open pollinated Ibl…sounds. acclaimed to 38 LAT
Is oldschool i got from a sea captain in the 70s. Thanks you all @Upstate , @deeez99
…thanks For sharing killer genes oldschool
.overgrow the world. High end Stoners,Peace

6 Likes

Gilgit Purple starting to get its color. @LandraceWarden

19 Likes

looks cool!

5 Likes

Thank you again for your generosity!

4 Likes

you are welcome!
and don’t forget to share how Family heirloom is doing.

5 Likes

It’s doing good, it’s a little behind the Gilgit Purple.

5 Likes

Family Heirloom. @LandraceWarden

17 Likes