Landraces and heirloom (Part 2)

I’m really looking forward to some definitive DNA testing so we someday know for sure. I’m quite positive there are Chinese genetics in Mexico Brought there by the Spanish… or possibly, now that you mention it, from this guy

Or maybe even earlier, though evidence is lacking atm.

I read about this too and that’s been my thought.

I’m a shitty grower using great soil and great genetics :rofl:. When you have those two things it’s hard to screw up although I do manage sometimes. Thanks guys

13 Likes

Im a shitty grower with good soil and genetics but plants look nowhere as beautiful and nice as yours.

7 Likes

Admiral Zheng He. I first read of his travels in Gavin Menzies’ book ‘1421: The Year China Discovered the World’. Admiral Zheng was part of a multi-ship exploratory mission created by Emperor Zhu Di. They had a Star Trek type science misson. The ship were huge(500ft long) compared to the European vessels.They would bring goods for gifts and for trade. They visited about much of Africa, Europe, North and South America.
This illustrates the concept of closed foreign libraries. Foreign scholars are not so forthcoming with these alternative takes on history. It took Brit like Menzies, to write about Admiral Zheng He and Emperor Zhu Di. The same closed libraries exist in much of Africa and Asia.

5 Likes

Have you considered using a shade cloth? Could lower temps and give them some relief from the intensity of the sun.

Little anecdote, many famous tobacco (leaf) wrapper varieties are grown with shade cloths. Interesting to consider that wrapper grown in the cloud forest regions of Ecuador are not grown under shade cloth since the constant cloud and mist reduces solar penetration in a manner similar to shade cloth.

10 Likes

So much bigger!

5 Likes

yep got 9 more to put up. Tomorrow is supposed to be under 110° so between midnight and 8 am tomorrow morning hopefully. Good times. It’s 92° in the shade at 10:22 am.

16 Likes

It sounds like heaven to me - I bet your winters are pretty nice.

3 Likes

If you watch “The History of China” by Michael Wood. He talks about these voyages and actually visits a Chinese boatyard where they are building exact replicas of those treasure ships. He stands inside of the hull of one. They are absolutely huge.

7 Likes

I have an old High Times from the late 70’s with an insane story in it. A reader wrote in explaining that they saw hemp door mats for sale at the local hardware and they were made in Thailand or somewhere like that.

They bought several doormats and ground them up, and put them in that old school hash oil machine everyone had back then. They said the hemp door mats made better hash oil than commercial Mexican! Which tells you how shitty commercial Mexican was at the time. You were better off smoking door mats.

13 Likes

lol I believe I’ve smoked some of the “not good enough for door mats” bricked weed before!

7 Likes

Isn’t that story a bit far fetched considering the mats would have been made from fiber from the stem :slightly_smiling_face:
…just saying

4 Likes

Just popped 3 of these Snowhigh Vietnamese 3 Ways! Wish me luck! :grin:

30 Likes

Excited for you. Those Vietnamese should be electric.:zap: It’ll be interesting seeing this journey of yours. :eyes:

-Luck

5 Likes

Good luck!

3 Likes

Good timing with the full moon approaching. Hope you get something!

3 Likes

1980 Swazi Gold

26 Likes

I finally found that pure Panama Red I’ve looked for since 2018. @Panamajock no question with this one.

:partying_face:🥸

29 Likes

… and summer solstice is today…

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Look after it….especially if it’s special.

Good luck

P J

4 Likes

@GREANDAL

Corinto
6/7 weeks in veg…Taking over.

P J

30 Likes