Leaf browning

ok so I switch too organic soil using vic high’s recipe. Used it outdoors for a few years never any problems. Started using it indoors for my last grow and this one and same problem comes up both times early flowering I start to get browning between the veins on the leaves in the middle of the plants eventually they just turn all brown and fall off. no lower yellowing, other then the dark spots the plants look great. feeding them compost teas also. temp is around 25C and humidity is 65%. watering with rain water. I am 7days in flowering.

2 Likes

They look like this?

2 Likes

I know you’re watering with rain water which is naturally acidic but whatever your collecting or storing it in could greatly affect your ph.
Always ph your water before giving to your plants. Ph issues can cause all sorts of deficiencies.

3 Likes

Accurate. IME, most people’s deficiencies are just symptoms of pH imbalance.

Plants look a bit hungry. Try tapwater instead of rainwater. Higher alkalinity, less prone to pH swings. Rainwater is very very soft.

Other than that man, that really doesn’t look bad, older leaves sometimes just look crappy. I wouldn’t sweat it until it gets worse.

What’s your runoff pH?

3 Likes

YUP - TRUTH
This should be the 1st line carved into the great stone tablet…

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Interesting. I though soil would buffer ph? Is that only in ground?

It sometimes drives my wife nuts how much I read in here, but I am learning bunches!!

5 Likes

Soil can buffer ph but that also depends on your growing medium. Coco, peat and soil will all be different. What are you using ?

Along with being acidic rain water is also 100% soft so adding a few ml of calmag would prob make your plants very happy

1 Like

I understand that. Mine is basically coots mix, in which I believe it is either the gypsum or oyster shell flour that helps. I understand that the sphagnum peat tends towards the acid side.

2 Likes

Even in soil, if you don’t have enough minerals in the soil, and using very soft water, the pH balance can get out of wack quickly. The ground has a massive soil volume and tends to maintain a fairly consistent moisture level. Soil in pots has a small volume and goes from wet/dry rapidly.

4 Likes

Ok from doing a quick check it seem the base mix is as follows. 1/3 compost… 1/3 peat… 1/3 perlite then some other amendments added. Did you mix it yourself?

The fact that your soil dries quickly just means that you have proper drainage which is great. That is unless it’s a very hot dry environment which would not be good.

In the flowering stage you should shoot for 75 to 85 degrees max with humidity around 50%

2 Likes

I did Mix it myself. Perlite for drainage( a bit light), 1/3 compost, and as much worm castings as I could (not more than like a gallon and a half.) . I also added a small amount of rabbit poo and malted barley (of course) . I mention that because it’s not included in all of his descriptions and I still think it’s pretty cool. :sunglasses:

From what I gather my ph will. Be much more consistent once they are in the ground. It is like 92 44% humidity here today, down from like 96 degrees yesterday. With heat being the general summer temp here, I went light on my aeration maybe a half gallon or so.

You fellas expertise is awesome and appreciated.

Also, should smoker heat go a bit easier on drainage to help indoor plants or are you just stuck with ph fluctuautions inside to maintain root health?

2 Likes

Sounds good, how long do you cook it for?

Cheers
G

1 Like

Yea ill double check the ph tomorrow when I go to water. Could have gotten a little high. I use the same water through veg, just always seems to be the first few weeks flower seem to have the same problem.

1 Like

or the tea I gave it last was to high. brewing tea could have raised the ph I guess. ill figure it out tomorrow when I double check everything

3 Likes

Sounds like you have a good start on getting it under control.

Not long enough for sure. The last several batches I’ve made I am experimenting with wetting down the peat with compost tea or casting tea to help. Kicm start the process. It’s the first stuff I’ve made that has actually gotten hot, so I haven’t worried about it so much. I try to at least give it a few weeks if not a month. Not too successful on that lately.

2 Likes

Yeah, those rabbit raisins are literally smoking grenades. They need a month bare minimum, 2 or more is better. In a rush, bury them deep. They are great stuff though, you cook those in and let it age a little - organic hippy rocket fuel! :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I do what I can. I’ve read that rabbit is pretty good to go. It has been demanding lately and I only have so many containers to cook in. These holea hold more than I thought. I have to get started earlier next year. I’m hoping the tea will speed it up a bit plus the enzymes from the malted barley.

1 Like

The holes you want next year - start them this year. Let them age over winter and you will be amazed what happens next year.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I will be reusing what I get done this year, but I will keep that in mind for any future ones. I worked for a guy for a bit and was helping him grow, and once that stopped the itch came on, and I had to scratch it quick. Plus I knew my plants could look alot better than his. It isn’t all about products. Thanks man!

2 Likes