Let us discuss seed giveaways, proper etiquete, self restraint, and seed addiction + Pets

Hats :tophat: off to that one! Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about! :peace_symbol:

8 Likes

PS: Iā€™d like to think most people on here have good intentions.

12 Likes

I understand your frustration . Personally , I will not ask for something I do not intend to throw down . I do not believe I have ever signed up for free seeds here . I donā€™t go begging for them unless from well known friends here , who should have already offered me them lol.

I see the horde that scoops up every single seed . Omg , itā€™s a cross with a cucumber , gotta have it , you know, to put in my fridge with the 3000 others I sponged , lol .

Fuck em , they are what they are . 2 years ago it bothered me , now , Iā€™m more Santero , lol , see he is replying , I KNOW his thoughts .
To each his own . IF the giver had stipulations , he should specify them . Above prolly talking about me , lol , I offered seeds to anyone but wanted them grown then, was hunting that cultivar . I put it up front .

If giver is wide open , then it truly is none of our business who gets them . Canā€™t believe itā€™s me saying this , but even an old dog can learn , lol .

I FEEL your frustration , trust me I DO . I would have been with ya a few years ago , now , I donā€™t give a rats ass.

Yes , ā€œthey ā€œ group Up, tell friends , will never grow the shit out ā€¦ā€¦but they free seeds .

Wish I lived more of my life with this attitude

Even though I just said that , IF I make some special seeds, or fall into some , IM NOT handing them out to Joe blow , LMAO

Might take ME a few more years to get to Santero territory , where Iā€™ll give them to anyone on the planet that asks, even if they have dissed me .

Still donā€™t understand why folk have 80000 seeds , 400 stains , which LIVE IN THE FRIDGE , rather than the ground . The hording mentality , I do not subscribe . Preservation sure , greedy no

29 Likes

In 15 years we might be thankful to people who cached.

15 Likes

Naw :eggplant:, donā€™t buy that
Cacherā€™s ainā€™t breeders , they grow shit

1 Like

Nice use of emojis?

7 Likes

I like that one , lol
Not pointed at you man , lol

3 Likes

I make seeds to give away and to share. I honestly donā€™t care if someone grows my stuff out our collects it in their stash.

Iā€™m actually okay with someone having my seeds in their stash. Maybe they save em for a rainy day after a select few here on OG have grown them and they decide damn I gotta try that.

Unless Iā€™m looking for someone to test I have no problem spreading the love to growers and hoarders alike.

17 Likes

I kept a handful of packs I bought in 05-06 in a mason jar for years in the fridgeā€¦ through hurricanes and a half dozen shitty apartments. Blew threw a few over the years in less than ideal circumstances, trying to keep them hidden from prying eyes.

I popped the last one the summer of '21 and had 10/12 pop.

Man I wish I had the rest of those packs now. For that matter I wish I hadnā€™t been broke and had bought way more.

Sorry, going off topic about the merits of caching, donā€™t mind me.

9 Likes

I understood what you are saying and I agree 99%, I agree with you that most folks are totally missing your point, that can be frustrating.
It leaves you repeating yourself only to fall on deaf ears again and again.
Sometime I would swear folks donā€™t even read the post before responding.
It can be clear if you look for it as you read through.
Sometimes I wanna say did you even read the post, sometimes I doā€¦LOL
My point is I feel for you right now @LoveDaAutos :heart_eyes:

But we need to remember some folks are just seed junkies plain and simple, myself included and they really are good helpful community minded folks.
In other words not all of those seed junky types are here just for the free seed.

But again I do see your point and I can not hep but think how many of those seeds will get old go to waste and never even getting a shot at life.

Also good ediquite is to grow out some of the free seed you got.
That is what you got it for right?
Well some folks like to collect seeds like baseball cards.
While I do say to each its own, that is not my way.
If you donā€™t have them in a proper scientific-type fridge they will be toast before too long.
I have currently begun giving away seeds I paid money for just so they will get sprouted rather than go to waste sitting around doing nothing.

The moral to the story isā€¦
The cannabis community would be better off if more folks grew out what was sent to them.
A bunch of effort goes into making that happen and some money is spent on doing it too.
Then to see them all rot in someoneā€™s drawer somewhere is just as shame.

I do think there are some seed vulture types out there and I do feel they could be rooted out, but I do not feel this is the norm.

I do have a question for everyone that has gotten free seedsā€¦

How the hell can we OVERGROW THE WORLD if you donā€™t grow out your seeds?

Much love to everyone
Like @LoveDaAutos said ā€œI hope I did not offend anyone.ā€

25 Likes

Some people are also limited as well as there are laws even where it is legal and they want to stay with in those guidelines. Canada is wide open for most, but not in the USA. Itā€™s like that because of the :man:!:peace_symbol:

4 Likes

Definitely a post thatā€™ll get people going haha, I understand everything youā€™re saying.

I have sympathy for all sides. As a collector and someone who has lost much sought after genetics, in my mind Iā€™m always thinking on 10 years from now nobody will have these genetics so letā€™s hold to preserve it. The same way a lot of us wish we had those golden nuggets of the past still in our grow/storage.

My way to balancing the odds, is that for everything I win, I try to give 10 fold back. Might not be noticed to some or even thought as a balancing action but it makes me feel like I can collect my passion while still giving back to the community.

Maybe Iā€™m wrong but thatā€™s just my 2 cents.

16 Likes

Sorry @LoveDaAutos, donā€™t know how you were so misunderstood. I too have noticed the OG ā€œusersā€ that only have accounts to watch the free seeds threads. I have had them approach myself asking for seeds when theyā€™re ONLY post history is in free seeds threads. People like that arenā€™t a part of the community.

Normal active users that are part of those threads, no problem. They actually bring more to the site than just hawking for seeds.

13 Likes

Yeah , thatā€™s what I meant to say :sunglasses:

Yā€™all have fun , Iā€™m out , before I get in trouble

10 Likes

Iā€™m a seed hoarder, Iā€™m not gonna beat around that bush one bit. That said, hereā€™s why I still hop in the giveaways and donā€™t feel like Iā€™m taking advantage of anyone.
They are giveaways in a community that we trade seeds like playing cards and one of those ā€œwhen in Romeā€ kinda things. If they were that special to someone or in short supply they wouldnā€™t give it away. Might go in a bag in the fridge but Iā€™m only gonna chase stuff id eventually grow out or share with others that canā€™t find good genetics, thatā€™s why they stay in the fridge to preserve their shelf life so time will allow and they say the best time to get something is when itā€™s right in front of you
If there is a time stipulation or a tester then I honor my word or sit it out.

What I frown upon is the ones that collect up a bunch of genetics but donā€™t give back to the community in any shape or form. Doesnā€™t take long to get the bug of wanting to make more seeds or even offer some stamps or something to help take the financial burden off the ones sharing their work

Well Arizona recently legalized and when I tell people all the time out here I grow, the first question Iā€™m always asked is ā€œcan u get seeds or clones?ā€ And consequently because of the generosity thatā€™s been given to me from this site Iā€™ve been able to sponsor several grows with genetics and a guiding hand, last year I hooked a friend up with about 20 skunk and funk strains I wouldnā€™t personally grow cuz itā€™s not my thing. Made for an awesome season for them they wouldnā€™t otherwise have and they were thrilled about the ā€œdiaper shitā€ plant, that right there was priceless

Grow plans change constantly and with legal plant counts time doesnā€™t always allow us to get into the projects as fast as we would like and I much prefer snagging what I can when I can cuz I know the seeds from this site were made with love and the work is transparent

Just like most things in life itā€™s all about karma!
What goes around comes around
Donā€™t just be a taker but also a giver
If ur gonna collect up genetics on this site make sure ur giving back in some shape or form, makes the community keep the scales balanced

This is why Iā€™m proud to be taking on the useful seeds coop. Cuz that was a grower that truely believes in ā€œsharing the loveā€ whether they end up in the ground or in someoneā€™s proud of collection

27 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to think of an analogy that best describes what I see and feel with regard to seed giveaways.

Picture a man, in a park, sitting on a bench with a bag of bird seed. This man looks a lot like (insert the name of a very generous OGer here) As I walk by I see this very generous man throwing bird seed to the pigeons. If the pigeons could talk they would be saying ā€œOh, youā€™re so wonderful and generous, thank you for this chance to eat some of your bird seedā€ But as I watch smiling at the munificence of the man I happen to notice that there are 6 or 8 pigeons pushing the other birds out of the way and eating way more then their share of the seed. Little Timmy pigeon, well he never seems to get any of the seed but I wonder if Timmyā€™s odds would increase if those very naughty, greedy fat pigeons were to take a day off once in awhile and let the Timmyā€™s have a shot?

13 Likes

Iā€™m just not sure thereā€™s anything wrong here. Letā€™s do some mathā€¦ as of November of last year, there were under 2,500 TL2/3 members. On average, there are usually at least 5-10 people doing a seed giveaway every week; letā€™s say an average of 20 packs, or 200 seeds, given out per week. Then thereā€™s the co-op, which gives away ~1000 packs, or 10000 seeds, twice a year. It takes ~3 months to grow each plant, and many of us have plant count limits or other practical limits on how many we can grow due to legalities. At 200 seeds a week times 52 weeks, plus 10000 seeds twice a year, thatā€™s roughly 40,000 seeds given away a year on this site for 2,500 members - and only ~150 are regulars. If half those members are inactive at any given time, the average plant count is 4 and everyone does 4 grows a yearā€¦ that leaves 20,000 seeds a year in excess of what we can all grow, not even counting clones or buying seeds from breeders or any of the rest of it.

17 Likes

I like the math perspective! :+1::sunglasses::peace_symbol:

9 Likes

I never had even 1 bad situation other than delays or people being too stoned and not being able to get addresses properly written on packages. I have made my own mistakes as well but og has been a real blessed place for me besides the politically driven occasional censorship its a great site

13 Likes

@SkunkHunt101 Maaaan I can relate to that haha my first time doing giveaways I didnā€™t organize things properly and always felt like I was missing someone that I promised to give seeds to. Iā€™ve gone multiple times though my inbox to follow up, maybe annoying to some, but had to make sure I cleaned up my mess haha my burnt ass got overwhelmed quickly when I had 10+ people messaging at the same time

8 Likes