Let's have another round....testing etc

@Olbrannon Are you wondering about the downward cupping? Some phenos of the black Afghani were finicky for me as well. I never really figured out exactly what it wanted. Could be that it wants less nutes, could also be it doesn’t like the heat in your tent (if your temps are >85) or wants a drier media.

6 Likes

That #5 apex cut is looking really promising! How far into flower is it right now?

4 Likes

About 5 weeks IIRC It is getting a bit frosty. I think it wants drier media actually. The nutes should not be the thing.

Notice the sugar leaves have these little collections of trichs along the edge …on some leaves it will fold under at those or round. Under a loupe I see long, long trich stems sometimes. Smells of sage and exotic spices. Sticky. Pistils are very long.

Edit: reported first flowers on #5 on the 4th of Sept.
Edit2: #3 first has report of pistils on 2nd of Sept

2 Likes

I wonder if all black afghanis are finicky?
I know another guy who ran a preservation run and didn’t mention it.
I have some black afghanis from Humboldt, that Might be getting thrown down in a bit. Maybe with my SSSC black domina f2 run?
I now have over 50 of the SSSC’s BD, enough for 2 tents all at one shot, nice selection

4 Likes

I ran the USC line, so maybe it’s a different one? I know there is also another line of black Afghani that is an Afghani crossed to BD.

The one from USC is a vintage line, possibly the same as what some breeders also call Kandahar black. Apparently it was bred by some Russians starting around the late 70s or early 80s and collected around the time of the Soviet invasion. That’s all I really know about the origins.

8 Likes

Love the history. That alone sounds amazing, heh. I’m getting excited! Couple weeks into flower now too. Almost smell a bit like body odour mixed with lemony citrus hints. But B.O. in a good way haha!

I haven’t noticed any of my sugar leaves doing that yet… so far lots of praying! :pray: my temps usually running about 75F. Pretty dry air… it does seem like this plant enjoys a dry medium though.

Hopefully nothing to worry about brother and all goes well. You’re a little further ahead then mine in flower and it’s awesome to see what I can look forward to.

Keep on smokin’.

3 Likes

Black Lebanon x Black Afghani
This is #5 plant. Seemingly the frostiest of the girls I have grown so far.

There is a cut of this in @MadScientist clone contest. Here she is at 45 days in flower

I thought the #3 superior initially since it seemed to have a better branching structure. So I have several cuts of it. The first is at 43 days and it looks like I may have issues with my roots since it is fading far too early.

The next two seem to be doing better.

Edit: days are backward 5 is 43 days and 3 is 45 days.

14 Likes

I am getting my own ass kicked in that contest bro!

HAHAHA

5 Likes

I keep trying to pinpoint the smell myself. Sometimes I think sage but sour…or ginger. Maybe lemon peel. It is distinctive, complex and hard to describe. None of these fit entirely. Fresh ground ginger perhaps closest but sweet?

4 Likes

Yeah that’s exactly how I feel. Familiar but hard to pin point. Mines really starting to spice up. A little over 3 weeks flower now… definitely less lemony and more spice to her Which I really love!

3 Likes

Man, I’m so curious about this cross now. I’m gonna have to check it out myself. Both sides had pretty complex terpene smells. I though both changed significantly over time as well. For Black Leb, the sourness came out occasionally and cured into a somewhat pineapple smell for a while. Black Afghani also sour at times, fuel and curing sweeter into berry.

3 Likes

I loved your description above. It is close to how I tried to describe it to @lefthandseeds I think he is intrigued. In the jar and with a short cure to me it smelled like banana oil/flavoring. None of that was noticeable on the grind though. When it was ground it smelled like straight up fuel. Smooth though and at the last bit one pheno at least has a hash taste. I’m thinking it is this #5 it seems frostier than the others too.

Edit: watching game and typing…didn’t see your post till now lol

5 Likes

This is how the #3 clone is now. I took the oldest of the 3 cuts down and it is drying and smells remind me of pineapple at the point I am jarring it. The number 5 plant is a narrow leaf thing and frosty. The smells were more sour early.

4 Likes

That’s definitely a Black Leb leaning pheno then. The fact that it didn’t turn jet black must mean that’s a recessive gene. Have you seen any turn black yet? Might have to pull that out of an F2 generation.

3 Likes

Not black but they are dark. Darker as they get older. That one showed a nice hybrid vigor and structure. I have two more clones of it and it will be a good finish on them hopefully before they come down. We will see. Also #5 apex cut is still going and it is dark too. It will be a few weeks till it is ready for a jar. If it will all go in one.

4 Likes

Black Dak 1 x Cherry Queen by @lefthandseeds
These are left to right 1-3 and 4-6

This is #6 it has not been topped or a cutting taken yet.

This top set has 11 fingers on one and 9 on the other.

All but number 6 currently have a cutting rooting under 12/12 and we will soon have some pics of the girls. When sexed will get some solo shots of them

11 Likes

11 fingers already! Wow. Decent branching structure too. I like it.

4 Likes

Black Lebanon x Black Afghan

We will start with #5 today. First up the apex cut @ 49 days from first pistils

And the clone in the cup contest shaping it a bit now. Obviously not gonna bud all those sites to the end with that root ball.

So then we have the last two cuts of #3 this is the one with the pineapple smell in the jar when dry and curing. Probably need a good month of cure to get proper flavors and potency so…I dunno if we get all that lol …mabbe. But there will be a flavor report at some point for each

Love the way these plans respond to bending in stretch mode. See below. And the #5 apex cut above.

Edit: added flowering length for #5 apex cut.

11 Likes

Lookin good brother!

Nice fat buds.

So do you just grow a bunch of smaller plants ? Keep one for a mother and clone then flower ?

2 Likes

I’m winging it. From the lamps to the bent wire. Most everything I’m doing is for the first time. I’m taking cuts from all the plants from a small start and sexing the clones …lately as they root in 12/12. I’ve been letting the rest of the plant bush out and just composting the cuttings if I take them mostly.
Then choose one after some testing and the rest go away. These are all new strains to me.

3 Likes