Let's See The Wild Animals In Your Yard

9 Likes

Luna moth, which are not very common here. This one hung around for a few days, for some reason.

BTW - I had a close-call bear encounter yesterday. I was photographing one of my motorcycles by the lake, and was close to the water at the end of a dead end road with no occupied homes in sight. I turned around and saw a bear cub just standing in the street looking at me. At first I thought ‘oh, how cute’, immediately followed by ‘oh sh!t’. I knew momma must be near.

The cub went into the brush, so I turned my camera from photos to video and started recording as I narrated. I figured my voice may help to keep the bears away, but that’s not what happened. As I was saying that I was wondering where momma was, she came out of the brush and looked at me. She wasn’t in frame, and rather than trying to get her on video, I quickly backed up to put distance between us.

Fortunately, she went back into the brush, but I could still see her and the cub were close by. I was able to get flashes of them on video, but nothing very clear. After a few minutes, it occurred to me that the noise from my Harley would likely push them further away. The only problem was, I had to go much closer to them to start the bike up. But I finally got up the nerve and started up the bike…and while I was at it, I got my a$$ outta there!

BTW - black bears are common where I live. I mean, just look at that huge one in the first pic of this thread. And here’s one a few block from my home that I stopped to watch, and he decided to take a closer look at me!!

So I’m not a total wimp when it comes to being close to a bear in the wild, but when it comes to a cub and its mother, I’d rather keep my distance.

17 Likes

Always the smart thing to do. Just no predicting what a momma bear will do or what she will perceive as a threat.

7 Likes

Cross orb weaver spider that’s been hanging around all week, figure he’s harmless :spider:

6 Likes

Niiiice, I have one that’s been hanging outside my window the last couple weeks too, didn’t know what they were called so cheers!

5 Likes

Think I found the mother the next day we had some rain so they are both gone now

6 Likes

Wet season here in the tropics has all types or critters coming out… well more like trying to come in

This guy couldn’t get out the pool so I gave him a hand

Let this guy hangout and have a feed on the nightly visitors

I thought this was a toy at first my daughter had left on the table but then it moved haha, eyes off the weed dude

I felt something in my hair last night… this is what fell out

19 Likes

Pretty scary to live there … frech|nullxnull

2 Likes

New resident and part-time worker!

10 Likes

Always look above the doorway.
:wink:
IMG_20220831_221926540~2
What a cute couple. lol

9 Likes

Looks like a Salamander? Either that or a baby Lizard. :lizard:

3 Likes

And under the toilet seat :rofl:

4 Likes

You must have spent some time in the tropics! :rofl:

4 Likes

The one that I have to remember is to check my boots before pulling them on.

3 Likes

Not really these guys just want to hang out, it’s everything back home in Australia that’s trying to kill you haha.

That’s a couple Aussie redback spiders, takes about 8 hours unattended by medics but their venom can be deadly

Baby gecko bro

That’s exactly where the redback spider likes to hang, under the lid of an outdoor dunny

5 Likes

Son of a bitch!?! Are those black widows? I just seen the hour glass and I’m not scared of spiders but HEELLLL NOOOO. No black widows!

1 Like

Yep @Boozer . That’s a Widow. I see four or five every year. We have Recluses everywhere and that’s bad enough for me. I have several scars from tissue damage from them. The Widows aren’t as plentiful thank God.

4 Likes

That makes my ticks seem not too bad haha.

2 Likes

Ticks can give you Lyme disease. And that can last a life time. :scream:

1 Like

These pics are almost 20 years old, taken in my previous yard…

This is a large “Fishing Spider”.

It looked like that caterpillar was about to have a bad day, but these next 3 pics are shown in the order in which they were taken. It looks like the spider checked it out, then thought…“NOPE!”

Or maybe he/she just doesn’t like to eat in front of people :crazy_face:

10 Likes