Let's See The Wild Animals In Your Yard

14 Likes

idk about the OP but i do and dont have as much animals around
this fall i fed the deers took some nice pictures but they to big to post here

2 Likes

Turkeys :turkey:

9 Likes

Stunning! Never knew they crushed the skull of their prey!

3 Likes

They have the strongest bite of any cat…about twice the force of a tiger.

3 Likes

No the third strongest, the bite force of lions and tigers is stronger.

2 Likes

Wow, I heard wrong. Just looked it up.

It’s pound for pound the strongest, but it’s a smaller animal than lions and tigers.

4 Likes

I just read it too, you sparked my interest in the jaguar!

Can you perhaps suggest a good documentary about the specie?

I got interested in them when I started travelling to Central and South America. I’ve read and watched a bunch of stuff on them…most were just 5-10 minutes section in a wildlife show. There’s lots of interesting stuff on Youtube and the last one I watched was Secret Brazil or Wild Brazil.

1 Like
5 Likes

Thanks! Very interesting how jaguars kill and that they have canine teeth!

2 Likes

13 Likes

Canine teeth are common in most mammals, including humans.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out i was unaware of it!

1 Like

That is an amazing animal. I’m a wildlife documentary junky. The Jag is one of the most interesting sub-species of cat. They are super intelligent and stealthy. That’s a great combination for a predator. Water doesn’t faze them in the least little bit and (for an amazing fact) they prey on Caimans for crying out loud!! That takes one heck of a cat to take on a lizard that can reach up to 4 ft (1.2 m) long and weigh up to 10 lb (4.5 kg). In water, it’s preferred environment!
Shoot man! I weigh 265 lbs and I don’t want to mess around with one!

4 Likes

They like bird seed and Cheetos.

They get a bad rap. The babies will bluff charge, but the adults are completely harmless.

17 Likes

Afraid I wouldn’t go as far as to say harmless. Every had your dog startle one that’s hiding under a bush? Don’t underestimate the Polecat.

4 Likes

I’ve scooted them out of my garage with a broom. As long as they don’t feel threatened, they never bother us. They will spray each other though, which makes no sense to me.

2 Likes

That’s a nice deterrence for door to door salespeople or politicians.
:thinking:
I may have to get me a few. lol

4 Likes

I’ve had the babies trying to spray me before but they don’t have the spray when tiny. They’re cute and all but like Doug mentioned I wouldn’t call them harmless. My buddy from the Army is a K9 officer and had his dog chase one from the garage into his house. It sprayed inside the house and it cost a bunch of money to get the carpet replaced and smell out. Just like most wild things they’re best observed from a distance in my opinion.

5 Likes