Lets talk about super high THC flower

This making 40% THC flower with nearly 0% other testable cannabinoids. There is much more in that file. I understand all of this. What i’m trying to show is that these strains are being bred for nothing else but high THCA levels on tests because that is what people gravitate toward.

Cookies is now shipping THCA flower with .3% THC (but 30-40% THCA) also. This stuff as you can see is already all over the dispos.

1 Like

Preach it!

Selection’s evil twin sister is Exclusion. If you think you locked in a trait, you also probably locked out an enormous number of possibilities.

I don’t like pure THC. Modern weed doesn’t taste bland, but most of it isn’t really worth smoking. My better harvests, much of it from killer clones between 25-30% THC, gets me about as stoned as the day to day weed I smoked in the '80s, which was shake. But that shake gave me a far better buzz that was still with me two hours later when I got on the bus.

So that’s my anecdotal contribution. :nerd_face:

10 Likes

May I ask which cultivar this is/these are?

I’m gonna guess pretty much no one reading this thinks THC is the be all end all of cannabis. I think everyone can agree it is a synergistic effect of many chemicals that are also depend on the user’s own body chemistry. Sounds like most everyone on here is saying we shouldn’t be breeding towards only high thc dominant profiles.

My only question as someone that works for a dispensary is how do we get people off those numbers. Now some people say they don’t care about thc, but if it isn’t 3% terpenes and harvested in the last three months, they don’t want it.

4 Likes

ember-valley-indoor-flower-grape-cream-cake.pdf (662.2 KB)

stiiizy-3-5g-indoor-flower-cocolato.pdf (1.4 MB)

I was wondering about Cookies specifically, but all good. It wasn’t important. :v:

1 Like

Oh

1 Like

I get Cookies cuts, and I just got a bunch of new ones. I was curious if there was info on them, especially if test results. I grow a couple of the ones listed on the archives you posted. They’re pretty decent strains for being what they are.

This one isn’t quite as high as what you posted, but this is a Cookies strain we keep in rotation:

medellin

1 Like

Yeah everything I get is tested. That Chocolato is half gelato… theyre actually both cookies strains. I just posted the most potent ones I could find on my service.

1 Like

We can debate all day about this, I’ve smoked so much 30% strains by now it’s getting so awkward. they are total bunk, everytime.
So is reality fake or what ? Are lab tests better than humans ? No way.
A human can feel every compunds and respond to them, but alas they are just not present anymore.
Well maybe they are, just 10% the effect haha

1 Like

https://flowercompany.com/category/top-shelf-nugs?categories[product_formulation][0]=indoor-grown-flower

1 Like

Ahh I gotcha now, at first I wasn’t sure of the reason for posting those tests. I see now - examples of flower being pushed for THC % like that’s the be-all-end-all of the matter. This problem seems to go hand in hand with “IG appeal” or people caring more about how it looks & smells instead of how it makes someone feel.

Again, I hope my tone from my last reply came across as sharing my opinion and not as a put down.

This is an excellent question, and it doesn’t have an easy answer. Talk to customers, especially the ones who are interested in engaging in conversation about the products. A lot of us here know that the dispo labels are basically marketing tools (higher % usually means higher price). Plus as you said there is now a new strain of customer who says “only 2% terps? too low, I’ll pass” without even seeing or smelling the buds. (Terpenes being part of the entourage effect is a whole ‘nother can of worms - I think it is definitely part of the big picture, but I also think their role is extremely overhyped by some budtenders and “enlightened” consumers.)

The easiest way may be to engage customers as if they are enthusiasts of cannabis instead of consumers of products. Honestly, only a small portion of dispo customers (including med patients) are enthusiasts in the way that we are here at OG. Most will be consumers who just want to buy something, and that’s ok. If and when they want to learn more they will become enthusiastic about it. :smiley:

4 Likes

We’re all just gonna still keep pretending our bodies aren’t numbed by eons of various abuse, huh?

It’s (mostly) that. Tellin you.

3 Likes

I think we need more education tbh, people need to remember that the discoveries in cannabis didn’t stop at CBD or terps and to be a bit positive, I see that it’s on the rise.

Pz :v:t2:

1 Like

Nope. I stopped smoking in 1982 and stopped abusing my body not many years after that. I noticed the difference as soon as I took it up again.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned my experience buying weed from a good dealer pre-legalization. They consumed it with me and allowed me to open and inspect the bag as closely as I wanted. We didn’t know numbers. We judged it entirely on how quality the buds were, the pungents smells, and how knock-out stoned it got you. All on the spot. And if any of it was bunk we never came back.

None of that exists in the dispensaries. Numbers are literally the only thing consumers have to go off of. Everything about the dispensary experience is so entirely soulless. I wait in line for what feels like a government facility. They show me a bunch of over-priced crap in plastic. It’s literally all the same. I hate everything about it.

First, the quality needs to be stepped up. Second, it needs to be allowed to be put in the consumer’s hands and inspected up close so they know it’s quality.

Otherwise they will continue to sell us crap cardboard in plastic. Sorry, I’m getting a little heated about this. It’s literally the reason why I’m a grower.

4 Likes

Maybe not unexpected. The most common cultivars are Type I, which are primarily THCA producers (out of the current test panels).

The above represents results across a large swath of newer and older cultivars. You basically have CBD type, a mixture, and primarily THC type. The type II are the least common.

Cannabinoids continue to decompose such that differentiation between THCA and THC may be misleading.

As an example, I had tried something a couple of years ago. Not a study but wanted to understand long term storage better. Here is a test sample after cure:

And then after room temperature storage for 12 months:

After storage the bud looked pretty old at this point. These two samples, off the same plant, would not match up 1-to-1 as they are they are independent but notice the large disparity. The notable decline in THCA, the increase in THC, the decrease in CBGa, and appearance of additional cannabinoid variants. Further, the sum of the cannabinoids are practically the same tending to suggest decomposition of the higher cannabinoids.

Before:

After:

Kinda cool.

10 Likes

Legalize it for real. I’d like the farmer’s market experience. The fear of getting busted and getting my ass kicked by my dad was nice, but the farmer’s market thing is better. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I take zero stock in “The weed is stronger today.” No it isn’t. I have never found anything in a dispensary that I would call a buddy about and tell them to go buy whatever strain name. But anytime a friend called me about weed, it was better than the average.
You can point at numbers, talk about terps, but I have smoked Mexican buds that made you not be able to comprehend words and numbers. If you never knew about Bavaria from pre WW1, it would be easy to assume that it never existed. But, it did.

5 Likes

Holy shit this metaphor is apt, yo
:green_heart: :fire: :heart: :fire: :blue_heart:

2 Likes

It was the paraquat :ok_hand::skull::skull::skull:

1 Like