Lets's Talk OGs with OGers on OG

I think of Ocean Green - I read once that OG stood for plants in California that were grown in close proximity to the ocean!! Haha so basically anything :rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

Ocean Grown is another I’ve seen.

5 Likes

So it is essentially a meaningless term?

4 Likes

Haha I guess but I think of FaceOff and other bombs like that now when I hear OG. Ghost OG I believe is clone only and the sought after cutting.

5 Likes

one opf my favorite OGs was Diamond OG sourced out of East Oakland. I grew it for quite a while and then moved on and my buddy there that I got it from passed on a few years ago. It may be gone forever now. I hope not. It glistened like diamonds and had such a super strong hash stone.

6 Likes

Lol I second this @Barefrog:grin:

3 Likes

Story I heard is, the term OG around with the original kush strain that made the round in LA during the 90s. Hence the “OG kush”. After it was passed around and the clones started to have some genetic drift and adapt to the different environment it was grown in. This is where all the different OG clones came from (ghost, sfv, Larry etc).

I feel after that, the term OG was used and abused in different way. Either as a marking of some breeders attempted breeding an OG kush like varietal, or their best works.

But that’s all hearsay and internet stories. True or not, I do not know.

For me, when I hear OG, it represents a branchy floppy plant that has exaggerated internodal spacing along with golf ball buds that are covered in trichomes. As for smell and taste, it tends to be earthy and musky with pine/gas/citrus undertones. Then again, it will all vary based on the plant. The high tends to be on the strong side and sedative.

I may be wrong, but it’s the most I can add.

-GH

17 Likes

This.

It’s also known as Blood Diamond OG, which gets it confused with Blood Diamond from swamp donkey seeds. You and I both got it from the town.

Another favorite that’s not seen a lot of mention here yet is the Hells Angel OG cut, I believe renamed to the Larry cut to avoid association with the MC.

5 Likes

Hola Gang
Here’s what they look like

Bare

25 Likes

Thats the story I believe too. Makes sense. Ocean Grown.
Thenof course terms like ‘original gangster’ get mixed up w it over the years. I mean heck, I see ‘phenol’ and ‘strand’ every day on IG lol

8 Likes

Hmm I have a Dosi Dos X OGKB that I am currently seeding with @BogSeeds Sour Strawberry… really looking forward to the pheno hunt with these beans, you jist know there are going to be some pheno’s with amazing smells and taste AND some serious potency to match.

Totally agree, a good pheno of one of these is real hard to beat IMHO, and I say that in fact at the very moment I am smashing skywalker dab from my last chop and seeing stars as result :joy:
I gotta say though from the 2 beans I put in I ended up with two of the most radically different examples of any strain I have ever seen. This pissed me right off as one of the plants was so gangly that it was hitting the lights while the other MUCH shorter, stockier and more frosty pheno was way too far away from the light and suffered as a result.
So now I gotta take beans that I paid top dollar for and do the stabilization that fkn reserva privada SHOULD have done in the first place… In my ideal perfect world breeders would publish tested and verified phenotype variance values as other professional crop seed breeders do. No more surprises woudl suit me just fine.

11 Likes

@Barefrog those ogers look real interesting and historical to this site if there from ghost or orgnkid. would love to try some out if you have more if not hope your doing a repopulation run soon. I think the true origins of og will be forever lost but orgnkid was defiently connected to the original crew and the master and bubbah are both great strains. @growhard gave a spot on descreption of og as I know it and always have. I would say that just about every variety is a one off hybrid or s1 seed somebody found , the real og cut was barely passed around and I knew a few people close to that crew and they said the legit og only ever went to one person in tahoe, one in Las Vegas, orgnkid and out to colorado with the lemon man. I know alot of s1s were made and sent out on the original og by orgnkid. Orgnkid also bred the tangerine skunk and banana kush.
I have some old banana from back then I need to try and sprout. Its not pure but crossed to a old line I have from early 90’s bag seed

10 Likes

just to list them all in one place

original
over grow
original gangster
ocean grown
ocean green
organic grown
original genetics
original Ghost
(Orange Goji for Jetdro)

8 Likes

Dont forget
Original genetics
It was originaly called just kush but the og was attached to seperate the original genetics from the fake or so that story goes.
I’ve heard so many og origin stories and spent hours researching it.
What I can say for sure is my friends boyfriend in santa Monica had the real deal og along with master and bubbah kush before anybody else had realy heard of them outside of the hollywood elite scene or the original overgrowsite. The real bubbah not the katsu or pre2k1 cut.
He was great at making clones and horrible at growing actual flower and had a incredibly huge ego combined with a narcissist personality.
He happily gave me trays of master and bubba clones all the time to grow and test but would not release the og. I was one of about 20 people growing bubba from different mothers they had and reporting the results, it was narrowed down to 2 green phenos and a rare purple at that time and one of the green was quickly eliminated.
I personally think he never gave me the og because he hated that I grew better herb then he could using half the fancy shit he had that I dident and the og was the only thing he had to hold over my head and make him feel superior.
Karma is a bitch though he decided to release the bubba kush while living in sonoma county and got cut of from the people who gave it and the og to him. He then had to move randomly and trusted the mothers to somebody who flowerd them and dident keep cuttings. He lost everything and his ability to get it back. He is literally the reason the real bubbah ever got let out on a large scale. We stopped speaking due to his narcissism taking over and he left the mainland vowing I’d never find the real deal og. I told him if I ever did find it I’d grow it and call it ginger og to spite his red headed ass. Funny thing he left begging for a clone of a strain i made ,he never got that cutting lol
If you were close to the real crew that grew og you would know they also blew and sold realy expensive glass pipes, some of the most expensive shit at the time sold in some super snobby fancy head shops.

11 Likes

Bty the story I was originaly told was somebody’s grandpa out in the desert was the origin of og. That he grew and bred it from seeds he brought back from either the vietnam or the korean war and kept the clone to himself untill a nephew stole a cutting and passed it to a few friends in the los Angela’s area. Who knows the truth but I know the first people I saw with it were scared of the people it came from and adamant that it was not safe to grow if you were not in that circle. Sfv og in it’s original form before crossed to the Afghan may have been the same cutting if not closely related. I remember alot of confusion about how orgnkid got the bubbah and og. He had it but nobody could seem to figure out how, maybe a clone slipped away or a s1 seed.he used to post pictures of it and stacks of cash bragging about having those cuts, then katsu got the bubbah and so on and so forth. Real bubba was predominatly dark green but had a rare purple pheno they called the d plant.He was on another forum around 2009 talking about being out of jail finaly and releasing old s1 kush beans. I would be incredibly happy to find that original bubba clone. The pre 98 is a incorrect label for the real cut. Katsu bubbah, pre2k1, club bubba or just bubbah Has anybody heard from cali kush seeds, orgnkid where are you. Dam myself for not keeping a clone. I know thousands were sold out of guerneville about 14 years or so ago by a crazy red head.

12 Likes

We’ll get a seed run goin. All good

5 Likes

I got a few …so called bubba…never ran tho…got from a older guy that’s around Santa cruz… I think…I never had real og…that I know of…maybe crosses. But not straight real og…hell I wouldn’t know if I did have it. Lol

5 Likes

I’ve always been under the understanding that OG’s we’re all derived from OG Kush the first I remember seeing was Tahoe…I’ve also heard master kush was used to make the first OG …I’ve always assumed whatever name comes after the OG is just who’s cut it is or was originally…like I’m currently smoking Superman OG

4 Likes

I retract my previous statement apparently og has stood for ocean grown since atleast 1995

3 Likes

I call her old girl :grin:

4 Likes