Lifespan Flower-triggering for pure Sativas?

well, if its just slightly red , and like the discoloration of Sunlight in deep Growth… then it should work. Like a rose colored Plastic…

2 Likes

I’m super intrigued, and now you must attempt this.

1 Like

I think the Rootbound must be a part of it.

Cannbis decides to flower beacuse a hormone called Florigen.
It steers the amount of florigen in the new Shoots around the inner Stemms, you know these new Leaves .
And also in the Root-points.
In these two places Florigen -Levels are steered.

Wether or not a Stimulus is strong enough to really make it flower in summer , i cant say, but its highly questionable.
In the end my very shortflowering Vietnamese genetic didnt finish buds at all, but it went bejond Sexshowing, and bejond just 2 tiny hairs, it had almost a Pinky Fingernail Thick Hairy Buds, wich later died off, to finish almost like the other plants around her wich got more light…

So, it wont be easy, but worth a try.

1 Like

So, its all depending on Florigen-levels.

We had 50 year old pure Sativa Seeds that autoflowered ! and faster than a normal Autoflower , so im prety shure that it cant be impurities in the genetic…

My theory is that there are some other factors that can affect florigen production, and in this case because seeds came out of 50 year storage. This heightened Florigen-hormone production i assume, like stresses can alter Florigen-production aswell ?, and voila, it autoflowered every time in multiple phenos.

This gave me hope that the longer your plant grew, the more likely it is to flower in unusual moments…
In Clones we also see a faster flowering…

There are various things that heighten florigen levels i assume therefore.

1 Like

the Florigen hormone

Florigen - Scientists have proven the existence of this flowering-inducing hormone or hormone-like molecule linked to the process of photoperiodism, although despite decades of research its mechanism is still a mystery. It was shown that grafting a leaf taken from a flowering plant onto a non-flowering plant was enough to induce flowering in the latter despite being kept in a non-flowering photoperiod. The same leaf can be removed and grafted onto another plant, giving the same results. Efforts to isolate and identify this molecule are ongoing, but it could theoretically be of great use to cannabis growers, potentially enabling photoperiod-independent flowering in non-auto genetics.

her the Link :
https://europepmc.org/article/pmc/4165217

5 Likes

Maybe I’m over-thinking it, but it’s absurd that people need two different cannabis cultivars, one for drug and the other for fiber. If THC content weren’t an issue, multi-purpose strains could produce charas, fiber and even flower, all from the same plot of land, and every year. No doubt there would be issues to overcome, but OG is full of people who overcome obstacles like that as a hobby.

3 Likes

Himalayan varieties are exactly like you mention, grown for food, drug and fiber as well as cooking fuel. I think the main obstacle is the height of fiber strains and their lack of branches… Which is what you want for a long fiber.

4 Likes

TRSC has been giving out Himalayan freebies for a while. There is one multi-purpose cultivar they have that is also used for bhang and ganja, meaning they’ll be THC-dominant at least a majority of the time. They also grow 5 or more meters tall.
Interesting that at least one biofuels refinery just got about $50 million to begin production. Maybe I’m imagining it, but a lot of things are happening quietly (some not so quietly) that seem to be moving us in the direction of legalization, or at least decrim and de-prioritization.

1 Like

an Anektote i found per coexidence about a Kalimist- Sagarmatha seeds, wich flowered under 17 hours light , response from the Vendor:

quote:
Very strange, strong sativa plants can bud with 17 hours if vegging for a long time. Your plants look large enough to flower. Have you been feeding her flower food?

Picture of the Plant:

3 Likes

@ramonoweed I’m outta likes but I want you to know, bro this is amazing research! Beautiful! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

well I think it’s time for an update here. The tl;dr is I did not see a life-span dependant response in either the a.g. or the c.g. plants I grew

I tried to get sneaky and do a seed run of a reportedly fast flowering plant (jade nectar’s grandpappy skunk) thinking they would flower and get pollinated long before the sativas started to show sex. I flipped the tent in the first week of february and a colombian gold male was the first to flower in the whole tent :sob:

In any case, I ended up with 1 c.g female and 2 a.g. females that were put out outside around April 20th, nearly 19 weeks since they were started as seeds and 9 weeks since the lights were flipped. Here’s a few pics

The Colombian Gold

and the two Acapulco Golds. I’m calling one the poofball pheno because of its funny central bud, and the other the “octopus” / “string of pearls” pheno because of its buds and because it topped itself into this trippy, elongated, branched out structure

I think the tall a.g. got its poofball from growing into the lights and getting quasi-topped. It definitely got stressed out, it threw some nanners until it calmed down. After some consideration I decided it’d be fine to keep for bud outdoors (knock on wood :crossed_fingers:) so it’s stickin around

I figured the sativas were all mature enough to keep on flowering if the theory held true, but they’ve not only revegged just fine, they were nearly a month faster to do so than the grandpappy skunks which have only just started to reveg these last few weeks!

Here are the sativas in the second week of may, already well into revegging. First up is the poofball A.G.

the octopus A.G.

and the C.G.

!

I can upload pics if anyone wants to see but ironically neither of my “extra early” g.p. skunk plants had a lick of new growth on top of their buds until early this month, they just built up anthocyanins. So at least with the few plants I grew out of the fbsc/snowhigh a.g. and c.g. stock, I didn’t see any tendency to flower based purely on plant age. They respond to light hours very well.

8 Likes

how dark is considered dark for responding well to light? I’ve been told the rule of thumb is if it’s dark enough to have trouble reading the newspaper, it’s dark enough?

1 Like

that’s the same I’ve heard but I meant their response to hours of light, not the intensity

2 Likes

mammamia , no difference.

my thoughts:
1st: 20, 30 weeks or how long you vegged them is not really long for a Sativa-head… i thought you would wait a year or so…
2nd: i would have tried also to grow them exteemly tall, cause also this might change the Sativas Hormones so they tend to flower easyer.

I apprechiate your Tests truely, and it shows like this it doesent work, so we leanerd something… hmm, but i think it could need further Tests

3 Likes

Autoflower from Vietnam. Photo from a couple weeks ago.
Very strange strain

7 Likes

I would like to see the test. After the plants were grown vegetatively Is under a long light cycle, and had shown sex. Then again I suppose that defeats the purpose of an auto flower

2 Likes

Wow :flushed: it’s for sure Auto I’m not? PS I’m not doubting just wondering thanks

1 Like

Yeah it’s an auto for sure, but I’m not as sure about the Viet part now. Depends how long it flowers. I’m at week 9, and some look to be finishing up. Others are going longer. Siberian hemp flowers 10 weeks. Could be that. Could be N Vietnamese Hmong Hemp, too. It’s a short Hemp species and it may contain THC. Seeds don’t look “hempy.” This one is baffling. Could be a Hmong Hemp hybrid with something high thc…
Doesn’t smell like any hemp I’ve smelled before. I’ll await a harvest and smoke test to be sure one way or another.

2 Likes

I might have told you that. Yeah, too dark to read a newspaper, plants will flower.

ok, but just as info, todays hemp isnt it often selected for low THC…? So, we have CBD Bud here, wich is legal under a certain limit, and i see the similar “shitty smells” in theis CBD Bud.
So , dont compare to todays hemp. Oltimes Hemp had atleast sometimes a Pheno with a bit THC, todays is often 0,2 percent heavy bottlenecked.

Yeah, i dunno what the hell that should be… Only last hope that they hae even autos in south China of that part in World i dont now thaat much

1 Like