Live & Reloaded

I was testing it out the other day and she started crying hahahaha. She’s gotta get used to it, though. Or maybe I’ll get a little dog gate to separate the tents. We’ll see, money’s getting kind of tight lately.

It must be really nice in the summer though to go out and have some delicious wine. I’m a big fan of wine, even though I don’t like drinking alcohol that much anymore.

What were are thoughts? Good shit? Or not-so?

I don’t think I’ve gotten to smoke any Africans yet either. I’ll again keep an eye out to see if I run into any bud/seeds.

I loved Oceanside, I considered getting an apartment there once upon a time. Glad I didn’t though, I would’ve been in such a tiny space for such a large amount of money. We’ll see how this new environment is, but if it’s too humid here too; maybe that epoxy paint ain’t a bad idea.

It’s been a few years since I’ve grown. I originally had to stop because I moved into a trailer, and started only getting contams on my cakes. It was a shame. Once I get more into the rhythm of things, I’ll hopefully get back into the hobby.

Will do! I want to get a big white board with all the names of my plants so I can keep better track of everything. I keep a journal, but it’s a bit irksome to have to flip back and forth to figure out when I last fed specific plants, or what their runoff was.

I can hang the middle fan in the back of the 10x10 like that. Maybe that’s the move. I have to set up the exhaust here soon , and then I’ll start messing with the insides of the tents. I’ll keep ya updated when I do.

2 Likes

I’ve the guts today to say hello ^^ I look very much like shit, still feel the bones cuts everywhere
I’ve not saw what the litfa have done yet, it’s frustrating. I think it’s the harvest i will enjoy the most historically ^^
This little message will cost me one hour of sleeping at least lol, can’t wait to be back at a normal human behavior and to can drink not only with a syringe.
Keep the vibes high all !

4 Likes

Hope you feel better and are back to normal soon :crossed_fingers: :pray:

3 Likes

Get well soon @Fuel.
The plant needs you.

4 Likes

If you’re home now means it went well, yay! Recover fast, meanwhile they’ll grow for you. Hope all the bad/weird feelings or pain won’t last long.

3 Likes

The call : @funkyfunk , @Mr.Christmas, @FieldEffect , @McMuffin , @Senor_frijoles

LightStats14-107
FoodStats07-98

Hot week for me but the plants of this round are the fierce soldiers i needed. Good girls, with a bit more space now.

Some Big Bud S1 in not the best angle to share with friends, but more technical shoots for the posterity and to get back on my grow log later lol

The #1

The #15

The #5, still my little favorite of the batch even if she continue to smell strictly nothing. I’m sure she hit hard, i’ve a feeling lol

The #2

The #9

The #20

They look like shit and tiny like this, just before building the real yield and on this angle. The shots will help me to handle the polarized K next week, they need to move their ass a bit to engage their stock. I will try to make them the fattest i can but it’s not guaranteed yet, i’m walking on eggs. Too greasy for my taste, fucking cold wave. Time to show my kung fu the next two weeks.

Just because the shot is more sexy, and useless lol

All AK47 males turned herms, again, but one. Maybe my neo that dodged the bullets, go neo, go. We need to save the AK from the hell.

The COB is finalized and actually in pollination in another space. Bad shot, good shot. Bad because it wasn’t the Orange Bud equivalent expected. The citrus fruit scents totally disappeared with hormons kicking. Good because the line is quite stable sexually, vigorous and skunky in the good sense. Stellar notation on most of specimens, hard to cull. Very nice males expressions overall also. I lost a spice, i got a reliable skeleton to play with in exchange. Fair trade for the cheap price.

The California Indica is finished too, i just wait that the female selected is enough evolved to double pollinate (but separately on marked stems) her with a stored pollen of the previous batch and a male of the actual batch. I hate to do this, it’s long and you have to be very careful.

The fems are doing well, with some attention whores in the pack. Scents start to be interesting, but zero percent “diesel”. Totally NL#5 ^^

And Giger#1 is just fine, not speed but decent grow considering the context. Can’t wait to transplant it and to see how it express, and if she mutate.

My elder son helped, can’t turn my head to the soil for now or lift too much in repetitive way. Not that it hurt but i’ve to take care. I’m taking a fucking genotherapy that make me feel like a semi god, i’ve to take care. This shit is impressive, the flesh cutted inside my mouth is totally cicatrized and you see me you can’t guess i just get out from an heavy surgery. Zero exterior traces, all resorbed at light speed. I was scared as fuck to take it, now i swear by it lol

So he got a little preventive lesson on Bateson, the hardy weinberg equilibrium and punnet. To don’t be one more youngster thinking it’s a magic recipe for breeding but to replace the discovers in their context. He love the profile of Bateson, the freak’s collector ^^

Also some tricks of selection on vegetal mass thickness and nutrients uptakes ^^ It was cool, i tried to make it entertaining even if i know cannabis is not his thing at all. Kind enough to help his old fart to handle the plants without pissing blood by the nose lol He prefer the COB scents, old skunky musky, over the sugared big bud. Youngsters …

It gonna be more interesting within two weeks, until … it will be a bit the shit show and not bankable photos.
I’ve a fucking ton of energy to spend with the shit kicking my DNA, i think i will make a big wall on filial generations to fill the void. I answered to much post on this matter, time to make it more structured and helpfull for those thinking too much and practicing not enough ^^

See you later and overgrow the place !

7 Likes

Yes, please do! I am looking forward to reading it. Keep taking care of yourself and get well soon.

5 Likes

IntroMendel2

Let’s test the freaks for the sake of phenotypic research ^^ Everybody have spotted Mendel i guess, but there is one priest in the pack that look like a F1 Hybrid of Ed Rosenthal x Ben dronkers. Find Charlie lol I love this photography for this especially, i find it surreal lol

Necessary disclaimer

When my elder son helped me to deal with the plants last Sunday, i realized that it can be cool to write something about this subject like i would write it for him. At the difference that he don’t give a fuck about breeding, he just respect the path i chose to put the bread on the table and it’s far enough for me. He’s 20+, he saw a bunch of labs of all kind since he’s born ^^

It give me also an excuse to don’t fall in a pedant academic exposition of what I consider as the core of cannabis breeding : facing the constraints of something that is doomed to be piloted by the passion.

And to do this without running in loop, you need conceptualizations and abstractions. All points that will follow are not existing in the real dimension, it’s all about the methodism necessary to don’t be neutralized in the practice. And then, to can evolve through the punitive hardiness of breeding.

And it was the quintessence of these impressive minds that were Mendel, Bateson, De Vries … the pioneers of the cure i’m taking all days since a week and that feel like a 4th millenary medicine for a 20th century native. But also responsible of what we have in the plates when we eat something. Well not me for a while lol

It still a pure share too, straight from my hands and my own personal priorities. So i will tell you the story from my point of view and from my experience. It require to be enough smart to build yourself your own grid of reading to handle all of this adapted to your sole case.

Remember this : Each round of selection is an unique equation that will never happen again. With its own laws, with its own expressions and with its own balances. And it’s what make it very addictive.

With a structured focus, you can overcome this fate and to be the pied piper of Hamelin of these flowers.

F1s and the Heterosis - 001

heterosisSwitch

The F1s and the heterosis : It's relative, bro.

F1 just mean “1st Filial generation”. As simple than this. But beyond this, there is a bunch of momentum in the agronomy that make also this specific notation a whole concept linked with heterosis.

If you trust blindly the agronomy standard, it’s all about the binary presence of heterosis : ON/OFF.
If you trust blindly the nomenclature, it’s only the first step of a (new) genotype not necessary linked with heterosis.
And if you dig even more, you discover that there is true F1 and false F1 …

And you know what, the three options are valid ^^ It just totally depend on the round of selection you have in front of you, and its specificity.

I’m torturing you right now but it’s to put some elasticity in your mind, absolute and binary reasoning in cannabis breeding is your worst enemy. Each round.

heterosis

For now it’s the best way to handle this, the starting point. Consider an heterosis mastered as the superior sum of both parts. Or it’s just a mistake to learn from. For the sole purpose to evolve from the equation you have badly mapped.

It’s hard by definition, never blame yourself. Blame your methods and make them evolve with the line.
And yes it’s valid also to make these damned fems. Heterosis and its constraints still apply.

Now i will enter a bit more in the mechanism of the heterosis at a conceptual level, to show how it’s vicious if you only search a rigid manner to handle this. The sexy teaser is that after some mileage on the line(s), you can generate heterosis at a point you’re choosing and this, without outcrossing your ladies with a chaotic agent.

heterosisSwitch

As you know, mother nature hate the void. But what you’re seeing when you’re watering your plants tell you something else that doesn’t have any sense both scientifically and rationally.

Let’s say you have one afghani#1 F2 line and one skunk#1 F2 line, to balance what you’re rolling. And let’s fall into clichés, because one weed that get you stoned and one weed that you can use during an active day.

You decide one day to cross the twos, in keeping also the initial lines. Not for breeding purpose, just to fill the stash more easily with something in the middle.

In launching 10 seeds of each of the three lines, you’re seeing a phenomenon that clearly disavantage your love for the two initial lines : what farmers call the “hybrid vigor”, the heterosis at work.

The F1 plants you created take quickly one week of advance on the others, eat stronger and fill better their medium with roots. You clearly see a “switch” of heterosis that force you to make a specific feeding schedule for these plants. You don’t dream, this “activation” exist and you have it under the eyes. Farmers know this phenomenon and use it, and you can even find a bunch of scientific papers on the subject that mention clearly the term.

But sadly for your human brain that search often direct shortcuts first (because you have neuronal system), the heteoris don’t exist. It’s not a trait, it’s not somewhere in the DNA, it’s not a mutation … it don’t exist. And the more frustrating, it’s not something that you can breed over multiple generations. It’s just something that you can generate at one point. And it’s still here under your nose.

heterosis3lines

Beside this sudden superiority of your fresh F1, you also see something else that will give you the key to understand what is really heterosis : your F1 look like a cocktail made by a skilled barman. You don’t really selected the father and the mother, but the progeny look like cemented by the same dynamic and that tend naturally to an average.

You find your F1 too small to have a better yield than the skunk#1, not enough crystallized to make hash with the trims like the afghani #1… but hell, the balance you have under the eyes is quite “cemented” from one specimen to another. Making it more easy to grow in top of the extra vigor and speed.

If you don’t have the best of the two parts, you have something better than the both reunited. Congrat, you respected enough well your initial lines in screening out the trash. It’s sincerely enough to make a good F1, even without any real selection.

And legitimately, you don’t really feel responsible of this. Frustrating right ?

And that’s exactly how, when your initial material is enough clean and reliable, that a good heterosis is generated. The heterosis is in fact the blend itself, and not something responsible of the blend or having a leverage on it.

It’s just the efficiency of the complementarity of your cross that produce a better expression of the DNA by heterosis.

During the step when the pollen dig to the ovula of the female to make a seed, a complex game is happening. And it’s not peaceful. Each complex compromise that will make the genetical code will hurt the heterosis potential, like by example two traits that don’t work together.

In your case, the crystals of the afghani #1 and the yield of the skunk#1. You got a better plant than the two, but not their maximal potential reunited.

But i will not crush your mind yet with the selection, just remember that it’s possible with enough momentum and changes on the initial lines to planify this.

You can by example breed the trichomes coverage of the afghani#1 … not to be even more crystallized than it is to compensate the lost. Hell no, you will end in a loop of failures that will waste your precious time. But to pass more crystal coverage to the fattest skunk#1 specimen of the other line. And you can eventually end with a F1 more crystalized than the initial afghani#1 … in using the heterosis “boost” at your advantage.

But for this, you need an heterosis with a good torque. So now let’s see how really look this heterosis switch when it belong to a practical manipulation of it.

heterosisDistance

It’s where the petrol head i am will start to talk about the torque of the heterosis. Yeah i know. But it’s very relevant.

It’s very simple again, not rocket science. The more distance between your two lines hybridized, the more torque get the heterosis. I’m not even sure i’ve to develop this … it’s very as simple and in practice as mechanical that i just writed it.

Look at my shitty design, not proud of this one. What is a Northern Light finally if not an afghani hardly inbred ? (STFU for the NL5, i try to make it simple to don’t see your brain flow through your ears).

But the distance between an afghani and a blend of sativa-ish cultivars … now it’s talking loud. And it’s why the majority of popular strains are afghani/skunk based. Even if today most of next gen breeders don’t even know it for their own strains lol

So be careful when you choose your pairings. Take the time to study the line you want to use in its pedigree. The real cannabis genpool is quite narrowed since the begin, there is not numerous grand families

So by example if making an F1 between an afghani #1 and a NL look nice, it’s just a BX in fact more than a true F1. A Backcrossing. It’s not a bad idea because the heterosis will have a very little torque, but if you was expecting the streamlined effect of the heterosis to have uniform F1 specimens it’s like pissing in a violin to have music.

Now a little secret, because it’s about my failures about this when i was a youngster like you. Don’t tell anyone. The secret, but also that i’ve failed something ^^

In playing mostly with raw landraces at my begin, i had the chance to handle quite fast the concept of heterosis. These plants helped me a lot to reduce my learning curve about it, the pairings, the distances etc … BUT they were landraces and it blindfolded me.

When a bit later i gave more muscles to the game in juggling also with modern dutch lines, i started to lost my shit. Because i losted a lot my reliability to plan results, and i you know how i’m a freak about this. It turned me mad during a couple of years, maybe 30% of my F1 were like they were supposed to be. Making me feel like a piece of shit unable to enter in the game of more tailored strains. It’s awful this sensation to only roll dices, and it marked me very strongly. Like a fucking trauma.

The error was in fact extremely stupid, as is the right manner to handle the heterosis.

I first “sur-conceptualized” that the distance of the heterosis was like an elastic. The more you stretch it, the more you store energy when you release it (F1). Making myself a true perfect example of the law of Murphy during all these painful failures. There is no way to be more wrong with heterosis and i wasted a shit ton of seeds at it.

Then one day i was watching for the millionth time my favorite horror movie of the universe with a fat blunt of ghanaian : Hellraiser. The answer was in the cube.

It’s not about the length of the distance, but about the complementarity of the two extremes used. Simply.

You want max torque ? Easy. Trust Pinhead.

Take one strain that need to grow dry and take one hydro strain, make your F1 and watch the satisfactory magic. And it work like a charm without any rocket science, landrace or not.

The more the DNA bits used to make the final blend are not entering in a conflict of function, the more the heterosis is an explosion. It’s the complementarity i was talking about just in up if you don’t falled asleep yet.

And the best for the end, it’s cumulative (in layers of traits) and can be even exponential in results if you change a little bit your contextual mapping in this sense.

I told you, best horror movie ever.

I hope this copter view on the heterosis helped to get rid of unnecessary complication and worse than anything : rolling dices with F1s. Don’t tell anyone, just in mastering this concept people can believe your lines are stabilized and worked since centuries because they are uniform as fuck. But in F2 it’s the shit show if they reproduce it, the lie will not last long with the more experienced of the pack ^^

7 Likes

Woo, instructive.

Dibs for the knowledge dropping! :smiley:

3 Likes

Looks like a shitty night again, but I glad it made you tackle heterosis first.

That’s one the most blurry concept I believe, even scientific literature is unable to explain it really. They’re still studying it to find its roots. Which lead me to believe that the ones that know most of it are actual farmers/breeders. And big corporates that are using it (and other things) precisely so that farmers are depending on their F1. Thanks for the clear explanation, that’s really useful.

4 Likes

Yesterday was quite hard yes, from the early the morning to late in the night. Morning started with a crisis of a level of pain i’ve never experienced before. And i known a large panel of pains in my life ^^ I’m still well watched by skilled people, got a meeting in the afternoon, and i’ve to accept that it’s normal and inherent to a fast recovery with my share of singularities. Can’t wait to lit a fat ass blunt of the hell someday, mostly to celebrate a step. Enough for the dramaturgic moment, back to the green. But i must confess that OG is a part of cure now lol

Quadruplet spot on buddy, and thanks. The second part of the “letter to my son” will be frustrating, Filial generations and their notations are quite simples, i don’t understand why people make so much fuzz about it.

And to illustrate your nice insight, let me share two links about this. String theory is kicking obviously lol

This one was shared yesterday by one of the ninja’s follower of this nonsense growlog lol I asked him if he wanted that i gave a “scalpel shot” somewhere. He gave me this link ^^

Polemic company for the momentum they builded with the scene and some blurry alliances with “big names” of our game. But i sincerely want to try a 10pack from them and for advanced reasons. This is not my universe and my field, but i think they are close to streamline the sequencing and the real use of this. I mean not like big canadians company that make noise (and billions) but that still depend on “closet genetic” with all their horde of scientists.

I don’t support the project and its vicinity, nor i want that they burn in hell. Swiss style, i see them very neutrally and my curiosity is genuine.

More in my spectrum, circles and perimeter. Same appeal and neutrality, but for totally diffferent reasons. It’s more about the genetic market that concern me directly, for benchmark.

You gave me the envy to try a diplomatic email to get two representative packs to document here ^^ You start to know me very well and maybe to feel it’s doomed to fail i guess lol

Now if i let the underground farmer talk, it’s very much less neutral. In 20 years we passed from the best weed we have known (and that we recycle in loop like scavengers) to this era … that present F1s as a technology.

My last vulgarization in date show that it can be a tech and a methodology on its own. But also that a closet can do it without any scientific or genetician degree with NASA tools.

Behind the casual tone i’m very strict on the scientific analogy, i’ve take care to let the fools reading it discover in most of valuable scientific papers the accuracy of my light and casual tone behind the efforts to make it “free for all”. Even at a loci level ^^

God i digressed a bunch there lol, thanks buddy. It’s calmer today but i must stay focused. Passion is a good and efficient med. And i’m so glad to be a part of this amazing community today more than ever ;o)

4 Likes

I can imagine that. You’re getting closer everyday.

Reminds me a friend that did the same kind of “letter to my son” about plant breeding on another forum (COL), only his was studying plant biology at the university. His son ended up giving classes on the forum :smiley:

Well you start to know me well enough too to know I’m a bit better at that diplomatic game :wink: If you want help to refine your words in this email, I’d be glad to help.

Hope your meeting will bring good news!

2 Likes

Well, looking forward to continuing to read this. Hope your physical condition improves soon. How long before blunts are back on the menu?

I had first seen this “TRUE” F1 seed movement last year sometime through RQS F1 Hybrid Marijuana Seeds - Royal Queen Seeds

I just thought it was unbelieveable and hilarious that they post that as a “technology.” Same view as yours but less involved for the last 20 years. I just thought, fuck, I’d be embarassed to post those. I’d call them something else, so many people do. The implication becomes that, “oh, hey, we have these unstable seeds from random crosses all over our website, but these seeds here…these ones we actually stabilized like we were supposed to”

I’d watch. I also question your capability to write a truely “diplomatic” email on this matter :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl:

10 chars

3 Likes

For the blunts … between 3 weeks more (1 done, yeeha!) to 3 more months (sic). I’ve to wait that the flesh inside is totally closed and not porous. I don’t give details because it’s too trash lol It’s partially why also i can’t eat for now, but on this one the muscular tension is concerned too. To don’t break the stuff where the screws are in the bones (3 dozens overall ^^). The benchmarks of the meeting of yesterday was stellar, with some orthodontist fine tuning. I got another shot also of the SciFi stuff with an hypo pen ^^ I’m officially a mutant lol, glad i’ve made my share of kids already ^^

Beyond the pain it’s just a bit hard at personal and psychological level. I can’t even work on my old car to have the impression to be active and i’ve to take care to don’t have any chock on the head or it’s an emergency opening again. No way i live this again.

Sorry, I pour a bit but with the mouth soldered it’s therapeutic also ^^

Lol i’m glad you handle well the barbarian ^^ I’m touched. Much love bros.

I can make so much comments on this company ^^ It’s the “seed business” filial of Soft Secret (EU), a free canna-newspaper we got here in grow shops. It’s a bit trash, tabloid and random but i loved it. Part of my own culture.

Behind the supermarket aspect (it is what it look like), they are powerful in the game and one of the most reliable “white label traders” in the game. People in charge are serious and professional, reliable on the long shot too. They don’t scam producers and seedmans (a plague in the game), but you have to know what you do.

It is what it is : if you’re pissing stable fems for the boulimia trend, they have a good job for you. They don’t do much QC tests but are demanding when you’re not known, long to seduce and you have to show your colors.

We totally share the facepalm side of the equation anyway ^^ Now it have reasons also i can’t really hide : the operationnal cost. A smart spraying is not the same cost that a true F1, and R&D totally vanished from the practices today. Because the volumes involved.

Next gen growers eat literally fems by kilogrammers, it’s a bigger market than we saw over the internet noise (that was never representative historically of what is the market door-to-door or in the retailing scale).

I digress a bunch, sorry.

4 Likes

Well, bummer about the blunt break. It sucks not being able to be active. But it sounds like they are doping you the way I try to dope my cuts :rofl:

I’ve been working on my car quite a bit recently, maintence stuff it’s at 1/3 to 1/2 lifetime mark many items to preventatively service and fluids to exchange. It hasn’t been exactly theraputic, last weekend involved lots of hammering removing worn suspension components.

The white label seed industry is so curious to me. I know it exists, but it is quiet. Huge volumes of seed. Lots of distributors with huge catalogs. I’m sure it’s not all bad but it isn’t really my interest, obviously by now, to investigate their works in depth. Just reading your posts and history as one of those breeders (the conclusion I have drawn anyway) - there are obviously exceedingly competent people that exist behind the scenes.

I’d imagine as you imply most of that skill is used to quickly produce something of the desired saleable product, to take shortcuts so to speak. It’s good that they are investing in R&D. Let the behind-the-scenes folks play.

My industry is totally different, but I enjoy being given resources to go try whatever I think I can pull off. It’s similar in a way. Day-to-day I’m doing things that my company needs to support itself, I try to amuse myself doing those tasks almost like “chores.” But when I want to try something new, they generally support that too. May take a few months, usually I just tailor the idea to a problem that needs solved as a “chore,” sometimes they just give a budget and say go for it let us know how it goes. Happens on a regular basis though, they’ll fuel me to run with it. That would be a huge luxury to breeders if their parent funding entities permit that as well.

I digress as well. Anyway, gotta get going to work to do my “chores.” Cheers buddy!

2 Likes

Didn’t know that, thanks for the info

2 Likes

Been catching up on what phylos was doing thanks to that links. Was out of my sight since the controversy. Stumbled on that during the journey though (as well as a lot of good reading), but that was a great one:

(from https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-medical-cannabis-shown-one-giant-map/)

I want that poster now, don’t you? :laughing:

Well more seriously that F1 seed trend is really interesting. Been thinking a lot about it while watering the plants.

All the best!

4 Likes

I just finished to type the reversal paragraph, it almost hurt physically :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You remembered me to check the plants and the COB pollination, let’s annoy the elder son ^^

I’m back for a multi-quote wall of text soon enough, keeping the jailed fusion core busy is working well.

3 Likes

Now you paid for the hectoliters of STS you sprayed! The curse is over ahah

3 Likes