Lophophora's Peyote

Ahhh busted… I’ll admit I’ve been slacking with the thread, hesitant even. I’m going to do something a little different and preface this post with a disclaimer.

Disclaimer

What you see before you is half of a lifetime’s worth of work, this is no trivial pursuit.

I do not know anything about peyote vendors. I do not know where to buy seeds, you might as well ask @Oldtimerunderground where he buys his pot. These seeds come only a few to a pod, compared to reefer which come by the dozens in each bud.

If you are in the US asking me where peyote comes from- you are way closer to the desert than I am, and I’m not about to violate any international laws.

Hopefully I didn’t hurt any feelings, just tearing that band-aid off now :adhesive_bandage: :pray:

Here’s a handsome little cactus. I love those tufts and big boisterous flowers. If you look closely at the pistils/stamens in the first picture you can see I got a little rough with my pollenating brush. Sometimes these things are automatic and sometimes they need a little coaxing.

I think there is a meagre fruit lost amidst the fluff and flowers, I will soon find out. I have a collection of tiny combs and brushes I use to gussy up my cacti. This one is in dire need of some primping, fluff all tangled and matted.

Fear not, my labours are not all fruitless. You can see a nice fresh juicy fruit forming on one cactus which appeared about a month after I last saw any flowers. It can be a slow process at times.

Although not clearly visible in the picture the multi-headed cactus is bearing a little fruit, drying out on the vine. This goes to show that the cactus will in fact self-pollenate, though the fruit was more whitish than the ususal pink colour. Who knows what this means. Another taxinomical rabbit hole for the time-wasting inclined.

The other two cacti show little baby fruits. Probably only one or two seeds tops but the important part is not the seeds, its the journey.

So many memories. Each little green beauty with a story of their own to share.

:phone: :wink: :wink:

19 Likes

:bear::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::eggplant::sweat_drops:
Got me!

2 Likes

Would so love to get my hands on some peyote.

The terms are pretty clear bud😂

4 Likes

Well then you gotta get your lips on something else first!

7 Likes

All you bud. Take one for the team… or atleast for me anyways…

I can totally see how getting a dozen “hey, you got any to share?!” Pm’s every time you post would get old fast!
Especially since you clearly honor and respect these plants deeply

6 Likes

Really cool thread. Glad you added an update. I’m going to hang out in the corner and watch if that’s cool :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

I would be afraid that my cats would get to them :rofl: :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Can’t find seeds get high with the shamans

2 Likes

This was really cool , never expected to learn so much , I forgot how much I enjoy :wink: trippinnnnnn

5 Likes

I always find a couple of attempted nibbles on my outdoor cacti, but most animals lack the conviction to take a bite.

9 Likes

Yeah, those particular alkaloids are brutally bitter, and definitely deter animal munching… bitterness typically indicates toxicity for wildlife, and they steer clear

3 Likes

very cool, always been interested in peyote but never really did much research on it some great info in this thread!

3 Likes

I need to take a picture but maybe @lophophora.ca you could help me out with my peyote cactus named “Squirt”.

I got him the size of a pinky nail as a trade for Salvia Divinorum cutting and still have him… some 25+ years later.

He’s been through heck, been dug up twice by animal and once they broke his tap root 2/3 way down which was as thick as a carrot by knocking his pot off the table he was on. Since all this shit, he’s lived UNMOVED for years now in my bathroom window under supplemental lighting.

So my usual routine was soak his pot 1x a year in the spring and then that that. But in the stress of covid, and that he’s in a “out of sight” spot I spaced out for the past year watering him so all summer he was winter dry and is now caving in on one side as if he was cut and left to dry out as a button. :worried:

He’s not dry, or showing sign of rot, but curious what you’d do as I’d hate to loose him after soooo many years.

11 Likes

You’ve got more experience than I do, Sir.

Yes please! Let’s see that peyote.

I couldn’t say without looking but it could just be thirsty. When left neglected and unwatered for extended periods of time the sides can cave in or appear wrinkled. In such cases I find watering helps.

If the soil is staying damp for long periods and the sides are looking wrinkled, the cactus is probably unhappy about something else.

12 Likes

Here he is.

For scale he’s 1.5" across, has cactus soil under a 1" layer of corse sand. It’s bone dry and he’s a little squidgy when poked :+1:

My gut is telling me to make up a bucket of filtered water with cactus nutrients, soak the pot in it so it wicks up the solution until fully saturated, let it drain fully and then put it under lights instead of the window as it’s very cold in the winter months where it lives.

One worry is rotting it out with the sudden water soak tradition off season; and or the dreaded SPLIT. Which has happened with him in the past in the years he went outside for the summers open to the elements.

Another thought is mix up a litre of solution at a time and give it a turkey baster dose a day (or every other day) until it fattens up again.

Thanks for your input! :hugs:

14 Likes

I wouldn’t do that.

I would do this.

I would do this also but probably closer to once a week depending on environmental factors, and using straight water until I noticed a change in condition.

I might also clear some of the sand from the base to get a good view of the soil and make sure it is drying out between waterings.

17 Likes

Solid advise. Gonna start this up tomorrow :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Hang in there Squirt you are gonna make it!

3 Likes