Lophophora's spare bathroom

That’s where I do my hash making. Water and laundry tub right there. My faucet has a hose on it that makes things easier.
I put some music on and sit on a chair while I stir by hand.
Ive added a bucket with the bottom cut out to my equipment. I can put it in the tub and run cold water through the bags to clean the product better.

3 Likes

Preface

As you may recall I recently tried my hand at hash making on a cold winter’s night.

Man was this ever a pain in the butt. Most of this is likely owing to inexperience and poor methodology, but a pain all the same.

Let’s take a look at the process and some preliminary results.

Chapter One: The first chapter

I can spare you the details having outlined the process in my previous posts.

The first batch is nice and light- pure Blockhead F5 x Mikado BX. (Thank you @Oldtimerunderground!)

What sub-zero temperatures cost me in yield they appear to have made up for in excellence.

Chapter Two: The continuation of the first chapter

The subsequent batches were a continuation of the frozen material from the evening prior with the addition of some poorly trimmed outdoor buds.

Boy do I feel foolish having collected several icecube trays worth of ice for the first extraction when there is so much natural ice in the back yard. I did not bother with any ice cubes for the second attempts, relying on the giant chunk of frozen material from the first attempt along with natural locally sourced ice.

Performing the extraction indoors was not without it’s downsides. Five minutes into stirring the second batch the bucket cracked right up the side (after it was full of water, of course) requiring an emergency roll of tape to keep under control. I can definitely see the advantage of having multiple buckets, not just for a contingency but for workflow.

I would have really liked to waste more of the evening rinsing and fawning over the extraction process, especially after seeing the difference in colour between the first and second attempts. Now that I know what is involved I can be much better prepared should I decide to try this again.

Chapter Three: Overnight in the freezer

Without further ado, here are pictures.

Epilogue

With the bulk of the hard work completed, it is time to play the waiting game. I am curious to see how much water weight is lost after a week or two in the freezer, and even more curious to see how well this hash burns.

21 Likes

Looks like you’ll have a decent amount once dry.

5 Likes

Production problems notwithstanding looks great!

6 Likes

I find spinning the bag around like a windmill before removing the hash from the bag really helps with getting rid of excess water. Got it from JoeCrow. The more water you get out before the freezer the better.
Ive also started spreading it out on cardboard and putting it in the freezer, seems to help a bit with drying.
Your hash looks pretty good :smiley:

6 Likes

Yep, it looks good! I would take a sample and try and view the components microscopically. Sometimes the color the hash turns is related to the trichome color itself. Other times, it can be from contamination. It really helps if you can actually see the difference in the batches at that level.
Oh yah! yields are strain dependent as well.

6 Likes

I have high hopes for that Blockhead x Mikado hash. :thinking: 2 grams of hash for every 1 gram of bud?? :joy: I might just be a bit optimistic :rofl:

5 Likes

If that is the yield from the Bh x Mikado, it might be the new superstar for me! Here’s to hoping :smiley:

4 Likes

:star_struck:

I wouldn’t be this far if not for your thread @JoeCrowe. After seeing your glittering hash I decided “I want that”.

My second and third batches I would definitely attribute to poor washing technique. The first batch needed to be rinsed like mad just to thaw.

Just about! I don’t have a microscope myself but I did manage to get a nice up close photo of one of the gnats entombed in the trichromes.

Just for clarity, the whitest lightest hash in the pictures is pure uncut blockhead F5 x mikado BX. I managed to get 5 grams from about 130 grams of frozen buds before the material solidified into a solid block outdoors.

I reused this frozen ball the next evening along with an approximate 112 grams of generic shakey outdoors for the subsequent darker batches.

The two piles of each batch are the result of the 25u and 79u bags, but I was not clever enough to mark which pile was which at the time.

7 Likes

The bh f5 x Mikado bx is waiting in the vegetative wings as we speak, just topped and took clones. Looking forward to running it, much variation in phenos? I have two females and they both looking identical, as did the two males. @Oldtimerunderground made a beauty here.

2 Likes

I had two lucky ladies nearly identical in smell, stature, and appearance. Could have sworn they were sisters.

4 Likes

You forgot to post the video of the gnat getting entombed
ezgif.com-gif-maker (4)

And the one of you drilling out a sample of the DNA
ezgif.com-gif-maker (5)

7 Likes

That’s a nice lab you have there @lophophora.ca, I don’t understand why you are growing in the bathroom with all that lab space. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

So we now have stone age cannabis dna!!!

5 Likes

@Oldtimerunderground that’s an awesome video and Gif!!!

2 Likes

Thank you @BudBusterPro but all credit goes to the man, the legend, doctor and scientist @lophophora.ca :man_scientist:

His advancements in Cannabis science far exceed anything I have ever even dreamed of. I’ve never heard of anyone extracting DNA from a trichome entombed fungus gnat before. He truly is pushing the boundaries of the imagination and possibilities of what is possibly possible! All in the comfort of his spare bathroom.

8 Likes

Speaking of science

Science brings us all the joy of paying attention, writing down numbers, and sitting still.

I just realized two weeks has passed since I put some hash in the freezer.

Let’s have another look.

Read it and weep. I went from 26 grams to 16 grams. Surely I’m just too draft to tare the balance properly- nope. Same answer without the container.

Looks like I lost quite a bit of water in the freezer. When I tried squeezing a little chunk it just turns to sticky dust that is really hard to scrape from my fingers. It must be quite dry based on the amount of fine powder coating the surrounding parchment paper.

Now all that’s left to do is try some homemade hash.

13 Likes

Damn not only that …but look at the size of that resin ball he’s working with!!!
Damn he is GOOD!!!

6 Likes

lol! The skinner quote is hilarious. Looks like some excellent hash! How is the melt?

2 Likes

Wow really amazing grow

3 Likes