Lots of brown spots

Just got these on a few plants.

Led , coco, just flipped to 12/12 today.

5 Likes

Cal mag maybe?

2 Likes

Try asking @JohnnyPotseed or @FirstCavApache64 they are really knowledgeable about these things. :wink::peace_symbol:

1 Like

U ever seen this on ur coco grows @Rhai88 or @DefNSmokn

3 Likes

That looks like classic Calcium deficiency, cuz.Itā€™ll get a lot worse, if not treated. Start with smaller amounts of Calcium, wait a day or two between feeds.
Low ph can cause Cal def. Or even growing in soft or filtered water.
Hereā€™s the same
and this is gone untreated
Yellowing is also a good sign of Cal def, but doesnā€™t always happen.

4 Likes

First thing Iā€™d be checkin is PHā€¦ myself. If there is a PH swing going on your nute uptake will be off.

Iā€™d try out what @JohnnyPotseed recommended as long as your PH is in check and I also would hold off on flipping until theyā€™ve somewhat recovered their demand is going to skyrocket and if theyā€™re already not happy the problem can really get rough. Definitely been there done thatā€¦

6 Likes

Crap! I just read your first post over cuz. Growing in cocoā€¦ Cal Def is common happening when growing in coco.
But most common cause is low ph at the roots.

4 Likes

Ok lol long story shortā€¦ you have a small problem, with an easy fix. Lots of growers have it happen, so donā€™t get upset and toss everything!

1. Check your ph. adjust if needed. Also check for the softness or the filter, if using one.
  2. Adjust your cal feedings. Most folks that grow in coco will tell you they use a heavier Cal than soil growers.
  3. donā€™t overload em, small adjustments. Feed a small bit extra of Calcium every 2-3 days
  4. Remove the dead or badly damaged leaves, theyā€™ll only suck nutrients and never really recover.\

Like @Rhai88 said, let them recover before you flip em.

8 Likes

So Iā€™ve never fed them till a few days ago. Just the original cocoloco and tap water ph out to 6.1-6.2.

I fed them w megacrop at 4g per g when I saw this start to happen and because Iā€™m headed into flowering.

I have cal mag, should I give it to all my plants or only the issue ones? I have some gorgeous dark green ones that seem great.

Also the cal mag how much would I add? Just mix into my ph water? Mix w my megacrop?
Thanks sir!

5 Likes

Nice setup there. Look at the instructions on side of container, is best I can tell you. Every brand has slightly diff instruction. After you check/balance ph (check ph of runoff),then you start with slightly more Cal than instructions on side of bottle. Give the little extra every 2-3 days. Remove dead badly damaged leaves. Doing this with something other than straight Calcium, like Cal/Mag for instance can often give you anouther problemā€¦ Mag overload. I use straight Calcium and straight Magnesium. Altho Cal/Mag is better than nothing, donā€™t use as much, just follow instructions.
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 22-24-58 Amazon.com Calciumplants
I mix with drench/feeding for my growing medium (My own soil/composted mix)

3 Likes

Ok , pick off every brown slotted leaf? Iā€™ll go super light and try some cal/mag since I have it. Iā€™ll have to wait a day since I just watered w megacrop tonight.

Alsoā€¦ I just got a Dehumid. For the next few days I have no large duct to vent out carbon scrubbber so Iā€™m just running a lot of oscilating fansā€¦. Humidity I got down to 45 but is my temp to high here? Will I be ok a few days or should I open tent doors till my ducting ones for exhausting hot air thru filter ?

2 Likes

Temp is up to you cuz. I never run that high personally. 70-75 on veg room and same in budroom. Sometimes it may get close to 78-79 but if it reaches 80 or higher, I do something about that! lol
I have a big ā€˜room-dedicatedā€™ AC in each room
Zero experience with tents.
I have a barn I converted when I was commercial grower/breeder.

I would. From what I see, anyone using a tent, has heat probs. Those that donā€™t are usually well cooled.
lol that doesnā€™t look right! Folks that donā€™t have heat issues with a tent is because they have good cooling control

1 Like

When you said cut bad leafs off, is it ok to cut fan leaves? I assumed cutting leafs can lead to hermies easier?

2 Likes

Never heard thatun! lol Of course, remove any of the dead/dying leaves! Itā€™s not going to hurt anything, and will actually help avoid powdery Mildew and Mold/ budrot, by allowing better air circulation. Just donā€™t ā€˜rapeā€™ the plant! Only the bad leaves. The plants look like they donā€™t have that many to take off.

I was brought up on my grampaā€™s Ganja farm in the 50s-60s worked all my younger years with him, my pops & uncle. Took over when I came home from Nam in Dec '69. Moved to indoor growing in winter of '84. You can take my advice, all, some, or none, cuz. I wonā€™t be offended. Just always willing to help young/newer growers, with over 7 decades of working with Ganja, Iā€™ve seen it all, lol

editā€¦ lol thatā€™s a rather broad statement ā€œover 7 decadesā€ I did run alongside them as a kid of 3, wanting to ā€˜helpā€™ and they let me! lol But I was helping with harvest by 6, and trimming by 9-10
Iā€™m 74

10 Likes

The good plants that have tight leaves do I thin them well too?

3 Likes

Thatā€™s always up to the individual grower, cuz. How to trim, lollypop, semi-defoliate, etc. Most folks do some type of de-leafing to help with air flow, and letting light down to the lower sections. Itā€™s a good practice to get into, I do it also.

3 Likes

Ok, going offline, keep me posted on progress, please.

3 Likes

respects dudeā€¦!!!

3 Likes

Ok @FirstCavApache64 is here, ask him what he thinks about everything so far.
What say you cuz? Another respected grower with knowledge, willing to share.

2 Likes

I donā€™t do anything with Coco but all the advice youā€™ve given him sounds spot on from what I know of it. Looks like Calcium deficiency and since heā€™s been watering Coco with plain water Iā€™m betting the cation exchange and ph are out of whack. CoCo should always be fed at every watering as itā€™s an inert media with no nutes to provide. I like the idea of using separate Calcium and Magnesium sources as well instead of a Calmag combination. I use Cal Nitrate and epsom salt to address any calcium or magnesium deficiency.

3 Likes