Making feminized seed

Yeah CS will take effect when your plants are on the brink of death from silver poisoning :grin:
STS is way better :heart:

Pz :v:t2:

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I saw this post and was drawn to participate. I started cannabis gardening in June of 2017. I was paranoid about purchasing seeds from overseas (I’m in the US) and finding seed banks in the US back in 2017 was not so easy. Plus I didn’t know at the time who was legitimate and would was going to rip me off. My good buddy in NY said he would share a few autoflower seeds with me to get me started. By this time I had already come across posts talking about reversing plants to make your own seeds and knew that was for me. He sent me 3 White Widow auto and 3 Train Wreck auto seeds and I decided to start with a Train Wreck seed. I had already ordered a bottle of reversing spray off the internet and had that in hand.

GUYS AND GALS! I’m here to tell you, quit procrastinating and make your own seeds.

I treated the very first plant I grew, that Train Wreck auto and made 80 S1 seeds and haven’t looked back.

I’ve been making seeds for myself ever since then and saved myself literally thousands of dollars doing so.

From my experience STS is the way to go. I used Colloidal Silver for several years and had very good results but the CS is more labor intensive. My buddy on here @GCBudz is about to start a seed run using STS to reverse his prized Chemdog plant. Maybe he can be convinced to journal the process step by step with photos?

I will say this, when looking to make S1 seeds of a photoperiodic plant the best method I have used is to take two cuttings off the same mother plant, get them rooted and a foot to 18 inches tall and flip them. Ten days prior to flipping them both spray one of the plant with the STS, then spray it again 3 days later, and once again 3 days later and then flip both plants into flowering the next day (day 10 of treatment) and you’re off. I treat with the STS right before lights out every 3rd day for a total of 9 applications. I use the same STS ingredients and formula that GCBudz will be using so an apples to apples comparison.

I do hope ya’ll give it a try. It’s a lot easier then you think to make the female pollen. The tough part is controlling said pollen so you don’t end up pollinating all your girls.

15 Likes

Cannabis plants when flowering produce a chemical called Ethylene.

Ethylene is key to sexual expression in cannabis with female flowers requiring much more ethylene to develop than male flowers. By applying ethylene-inhibiting agents such as STS (Sliver Thiosulphate) or Colloidal Silver we can induce male flowers on female plants to create feminised seeds.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t hurt to allways have a bunch of feminized seeds, some with a shorter flowering period.
I mostly like the 10+ week varieties. I have one space, and when they show the gender it leaves a blank space. Perhaps it could be filled with such feminized plants. Short veg and then flowering…
Currently I have Sugar Punch(Sannies) and C99(TRSco) in the beginning of grow. I thought male female cross, but now it seems to me that the fem option is better
Or should I read the forum less :slightly_smiling_face:

And one question
Is there any difference which plant will recive, and which will give pollen. Mitohondrical DNA…
Thanks

1 Like

This is fantastic guys, keep it coming! Much to be learnt, I’m definitely going to be giving it a go, my take away so far is to opt for sts and selection is key to future success coupled with timing. I’d love to hear more about your methods of application and selection processes

3 Likes

STS vs. CS:

4 Likes

Have you selfed a Male?

Do Tell? Never tried, but I have wondered how that might go. Pics?

3 Likes

Yeah, done it in double recessive projects :blush::+1:t2:

2 Likes

What kinda buds do you get on a male Canna that has been chemically “encouraged” to trend Pistillate?

When in the male’s life cycle do you do the reversal?

PIX?

3 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan Alot fluffier buds then a female counter part. You get less seeds then female reversal. The chems you use on males are something that makes em thrive, not like CS or STS. So the best results I’ve got is by using low dose 2-3 weeks before flip and up it the same day you flip. This will follow the natural preflower to flowering cycle. You keep feeding the florel and switch mix through out the growth of the seeds.

Hope i could spark some ideas :pray:t2:

4 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread bro, set to watching. One question I have, is it best to work with a natural female or one from feminised seed?

1 Like

I would think that either way, you are making regular seeds. So why would it matter?
Though I suppose a fem seed of a higher F series would be more stable in its attributes.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

Hey

whats better:
i have a clone, and i selved the clone to get feminized Seeds from the Clone .

I heard backcrossing to the same clone can result in certain problems that i cant remeber or understand,

Anyway: is it better to backcross to feminized seeds , of wich i have multiple, and can use another plant every time?

I personally believe inbreeding depression exists , would that rather happen with the one or the other option?

(My goal is longlivity, health, potency , elegance, you know, im a preservationist.)

1 Like

We are already having a similar discussion over here

…if you’d like to join! :slight_smile:

P.S. The search feature is a great tool. Whenever I want to start a topic, I type stuff in there first. 99% of the time the questions have been answered.

3 Likes

its a different topic in the regard that i have a male that i use for backcrossing to the Clone/fem, and hence my goal is regular seeds, sorry, forgot to mention

1 Like

if your goal is regular seeds them im unclear on the question. you kinda have two choices.

1. make a quick s1 batch for some fem seeds that are roughly representative of parent
  2. use a backcross approach to make a reg IBL line that is mostly similar to parent

in the second case youre looking at a several year project. the goal is to dilute the contributions of the original male. after three generations of backcrossing its been said the child plants will look and feel alot like the original mother

ive done 1) before. Im working on upping my game to try 2). be aware, this is a much more complicated approach and youll really need to master long term pollen storage techniques. be well

2 Likes

the question is in this phrase:
if i use clones, then i us the exact same plant over and over again. HENCE problems cam arise . and i thought using the fems that i already made, i could AVOID using same exact plant over and over again.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat with an old cutting I’ve had almost three years now.I was gifted some reg heirloom seeds of the cultivar of the cut I have.I was guided by @ReikoX and over a chat I have decided to pick all the males I find in the heirloom seeds at first.I’m going to do an open pollination with my Female Cutting and all the males i find ran in the same tent from start to finish till they look like Keith richards and those beans shake in those pods like maracas.Males have the larger Genetic data for carrying genetic coding for traits they have more variations to give for trait expression than females I will out of the beans I get I will focus souly on healthy vigorous males that are more like my cutting and have her traits.I will single out those until I get what I’m looking for and take the final winner that is most like the Texada and cross it right to my cutting and then mess with the F1 and F2 and so on eventually taking the shining examples of those that are like her back to her again and starting a back cross breed those with them selves and create IBL over time.should answer some of your question as for using a self from the cutting itself and what data she has and the potential for more out of the males you could find.Now if you could just find something like yours or a reg seed form of it somewhere to take back to your cutting you would have all the material your looking for right there

2 Likes

What are you goal with this clone?
As I understand it, you want it in regular seed form. I would hold tight to those fem seeds for now. They can come handy.

Back crossing can never really completely inbreed. This is because inbreeding is how close to each other both sides of the genome are. So what backcrossing do is to give you an rough estimate of the clone. Since it won’t inbreed with backcrossing in the same manner as selfing. You can cross a bx line to a bunch of fems with the expressions you like, this would be a good start to make a line from the clone.

4 Likes

i forgot to mention i have 4 female sex Clones. i guess i just use that, cause every generation of backcrossing i will atleast use 4 plants…

i love the male i will use! its not that i want to breed one Genetic of bouth out!