Males in feminized seeds?

I had a batch of seeds that got contaminated with a small amount of male pollen from a Purple Heart male. I documented the discovery some time ago on my website and in my grow thread. If they weren’t seeds from my last batch, then Nirvana has some explaining to do.

10 Likes

Im good with that. If neither one of us is trying to start a squabble, then there isnt one :slight_smile:

No need to bow out.

2 Likes

Stuff happens to all of us. Im sure you are not the only breeder to ever have some sort of issue with seeds that managed to get out the door. I dont make or sell seeds, but I certainly cant claim Im any different. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well peyote purple from Cannabiogen is a good example of that, the seeds are feminized but they ate selling them because you may get some males, lucky enough 1 out two packs and still difficult but happens.

I did myself some fems years ago, never heard of anyone saying they did get a male though,

As Reikoo says maybe the hormones

1 Like

Hi guys
I have zero knowledge as far as breeding but yet im pretty sure of what i think.
I had plenty of fem seeds went completely male or very male dominant with few internodes female pistils and males flowers all over the rest…i found full males in a 12 seed batch of Cali Connection, also in Sweet seeds and and squadron of hermies in dinafem…without talkin about the problem of the scam of the phenotypes and multihybrids…
I already explained many times in previous post my deep hate against this smart ass clowns that are the mainstream breeders…
ok i understand sometime a mistake can happen, we are human but i never heard from any other farmer the complaints that are nowadays the everyday talk when it comes to this whole bullshit seed (or cannabiznness) industry
I think we should keep spreading this news on forums, raise awareness between growers and put this basterds to bed so they will not keep rippin off future generation aaaaaaaaand they wont fuck up the future generation of weed with their weak ass unselected tranny aborts that are sellin for top dollars now!

Everyone should :
STOP buyng packs of seeds that dont have detailed a pictures of the phenos or a description
Refuse to accept a copied picture from another website as description picture of the genetic
Do not trust new born “Seed Banks” with already 150 names on their menu…
This bullshit of getting an account on Instagram and bang two random plants and fill a menu that looks like my neigboorhood bakery coffeshop and then put numbers like 250$ near has to stop maaan! And actually im pretty confident that IT WILL stop in the future…
Or…just keep dooing the opposite but then…no complain! :smiley:
Good luck everyone!

6 Likes

Dinafem Seed scam huh…
What happened there? I always thought Dinafem was legit. Never grown them…not much for autos.

2 Likes

Well this is my humble opinion and some experience and histories I’ve heard.

Most of the Seed Banks you are mentioned here guys are based in Spain.

Some years back(I’m afraid the actual situation still) those guys where buying seeds from some “breeders” or just people like any of us can be ,that were reproducing some specific strains,
Per say, let’s talk about Moby Dick, the strain that put those guys where there are now.

a simple guy get a cut out of them and get female offspring ,after that Dinafem buy in bulk to that guy as 0,10 to 0,15Euro per seed .

Do packs of 10, 5, 3 seeds in a candy box with your logo and the name on it,… and boom !!
for as little as 2,5 to 3 euros per box they make a profit of the minimum 3 times more than the price cost.

Now scale this to mostly every single just feminized seed bank…
How do you think the test is running by ? Well they may give some away before the actual lunch of the new strain, so they can get opinions and reviews, but most if the cases is the grower who bought the seeds the one is doing the first run.

In my opinion Be cautious of banks that just are selling Fem stuff.

6 Likes

After seeing this from at least 5 different seedpacks during the years 2008-2016, I lost interest in feminized seeds completely. If there is a little bit of stress, they may do this. Even when I have taken great care not to make mistakes, there were some out of packs that still did this sometimes. Mostly they looked female all over, and I didn’t get a close look at them before balls opened up at some node and pollinated everything. And imagine how much those seeds are worth to me that I produced? Who wouldn’t want seeds that are guaranteed to never give you any sensimilla? Hermaphrodites…

3 Likes

Sorry to hear you guys are getting them in 5 or 10 packs, sound like regs sold as Fems. We planted just under 10,000 Supra Haze last year and got two males and one hermi after they were all super stressed from a hail storm and then survived badly wounded afterwards.

6 Likes

I think things have improved over the last few years. Most of the males I got were from that one messed up batch from @Sebring. That sort of thing can happen to anyone. I havent heard all that many complaints recently, so I think its getting better as far as seed producers making FEMs that are mostly all FEMs.

The way I grow, regular seeds are just not an option, so Im sticking with FEM’s.

2 Likes

Guy I know, Depth Charge, made crosses with a male he found in Banana Kush S1 stock. He either got incredibly lucky or it happens more than we think it does.

He sent me some, planning on germing a few next cycle. I am curious how the male/female ratio will be. Armchair not-actually-a-botanist in me thinks it’ll increase the ratio of females.

4 Likes

With more and more hemp being grown, it may get harder and harder to assure no pollen contamination.

4 Likes

Most males in feminized seed packs are genetic males from pollen contamination/poor isolation.

A very small (1 in thousands) percent of genetically XX plants can phenotypically be fully fertile males. Something else is happening it seems. I am trying to figure that one out myself. I remember seeing Oregon CBD claim offspring from such a male yields 50:50 male/female progeny. I talked to a farmer who performed such a cross, and they ended up with~97% female to ~3% true male, (with 1 intersex of >700). I intend to run a cross like that (when I can run thousands of plants and save some pollen…)

4 Likes

Wow, when google fails overgrow has some results. I’ve seen this come up and likely experiencing it myself. I’m 95% certain that I did not mislabel these plants. So my question is Has anyone used pollen from a “true male” (not hermi) that came from fem seeds? If the fem seeds were made correctly, and the plant with XX is expressing as male, wouldn’t the next set of offspring be fem seeds without having to reverse a female?

2 Likes

From what I’ve read over the years when this happens you still have a female since the seeds were feminized, it’s just showing very strong male traits.

The only other explanation is that the pollination was contaminated by other pollen from a regular male plant.

Hope this helps

5 Likes

So, easy fem pollen right!?! I want to experiment with this male I have. I’m going to have to see if the breeder is ok with me keeping and trying some pollen, it’s a set of tester seeds.

3 Likes

@Seamonkey84 " I’m going to have to see if the breeder is ok with me keeping and trying some pollen, it’s a set of tester seeds."

never hurts to do what we think is the right thing :slight_smile:

good for you my friend

Dequilo

1 Like

Just remember, like begets like. In other words you are passing along the trait to show male. I would say it is worse than breeding a hermie. Now, if you are simply curious, by all means experiment… if you have the extra cash, get a plant sex test done on the “male” and see if it has a Y chromosome or not.
:+1::seedling:

4 Likes

Good idea on the dna test, I may down the line. I’ve also read of “super males” that produce almost all females in their offspring, I’m wondering if it’s a luck of the draw and someone grabbed a male like this. So I’m mostly just curious and want to try.

The breeder confirmed to me that he hasn’t had a male plant in his house for over a year, so no contamination.

What the F… Is this the equivalent of Alfa Male, but in plant form? So Plant Alafa.?

1 Like