Mangobiche Colombian landrace

That sounds interesting but I’m not quite there yet. I’m working on the new space so I will be able to run sativa but not quite there. I think by the end of the summer I’ll have it in better shape. Then I’ll run a couple inside out of what I have to see how I do.

Right now I just don’t have control of my environment well enough. In time and more money, heh. It would be nice to see somebody here run them. That Colombian x Malawi I did last summer outside was the easiest plant I ever grew, lol.

5 Likes

37 Likes

Woo hoo, they sure look happy in that environment. Are those growing on Colombia? they almost look like they’ve been there for more than one generation??? Very impressive plants. For a sativa it’s got muscle. peace

6 Likes

Thanks @GMan, I can’t take any credit but I’m happy to be the messenger. I think this strain has been evolving here since being introduced by Africans in the 1700s. Somebody asked earlier how many Colombian landraces there are. From what I gather the ‘Big Three’ are Punto Rojo, Santa Marta Colombian Gold, and Mangobiche (AKA Limon Verde). I have a few seeds of Punto Rojo but people are telling me I should go to Santa Marta if I want to find the real deal CG.

We’re working on finding a distributor so thanks so much for all the interest. Some more pics:

29 Likes

Those are very nice plants in the pics. Making my mouth water. I’m doing a Brazilian landrace seed run. Santa Maria. Sign up to receive if you want some @Subjectnumber7

4 Likes

This is an awesome thread to me. I smoked so much Colombian red and gold in the early to mid-70s. I actually liked the red best but the gold was great too. The curing process must have been special or maybe it was just the travel time over to the Southeast US.

I liked the dark flavors in the red. Sometimes almost chocolate like. That gold back then was very gold colored. It must have been sun dried. There was nothing else like it.

Best vibes on the logistics peace

8 Likes

I’ve definitely seen photoperiod plants mature in the UK … Guess it’s dependent on the region you’re in ?

2 Likes

What is Corinto? Colombian Black (llanera?) Are these cultivars of the “big three”? I never knew Mangobiche is same as Limon Verde? The same Limon Verde in Mexico?

4 Likes

It probably depends on the strains and latitude, any idea where and what you saw?

2 Likes

Not true, plenty of folks taking photoperiod strains to finish in the UK, a 16-24 week flowering strain is probably not viable but not true of all photos mate.

8 Likes

Welcome to OG @SimpleCountryTastes. Make yourself at home and get to know everybody. We have a cool crew here. peace

7 Likes

Thanks GMan enjoying starting to get a feel for navigating this site, seems a cool place alright, I might be better served browsing and getting to know the folks on here before just jumping in contradicting statements from existing members. I’ll learn some decorum along the way please God.

9 Likes

Awesome looking plants bro. I must say, currently don’t have the patience or experience for a 10 week+er, but Columbia is absolutely gorgeous. Hands down on the bucket list

3 Likes

Gets chilly and overcast in the fall but no early frosts right? I’m at 42 north and I’m pretty sure your growing season is longer than mine (100 days frost free here). How late have you gone? Or how late have you heard of plants going? Just curious. Welcome to Overgrow!

6 Likes

We’re all here to learn and part of that is discovering that others have had different experiences in similar situations. It’s ok to contradict :face_with_thermometer:. That’s how we all advance our knowledge.

4 Likes

I’m on a little island to the west of the UK and to the east of the States, similar lat and climate to the UK. Not a veteran guerrilla grower by any standard of the imagination but have managed to finish plants outdoors (along with plenty failures). I have seen plants finish into October here at 52 north and heard tales of early November. I’m by the coast personally so frost is rare here. Online I’ve seen pictures of some awesome grows in the UK. I was of the belief there’s a dedicated enough scene there with a small number of breeders focused on developing suitable strains for the latitude and climate. Someone on here might make a nice cross with their Mangobiche seeds that’ll finish outdoors here haha :slight_smile: Thanks for the welcome mate great to be here.

5 Likes

This would make for a killer breeding project

4 Likes

Welcome @Redribbonultra! Good to have you on OG. Roll up a couple and pull up a seat. Check in at the Introduce Yourself thread and say hello to everyone. We have it all here and it takes a minute to get used to the navigation but just ask if you get hung up anywhere. Make yourself at home. Put up a grow journal when you get settled in. peace

4 Likes

Are we still able to get on the Mangobiche ? I would like to put a few in the seed bank. Let me know I a few things to trade if you like?

1 Like

@Upstate how far are you from North Syracuse?

2 Likes