Medibles don't work for me

Here’s a picture of the final product. Dried honey rehydrated and then raw and unfiltered honey mixed in and stirred until one single honey.

3 Likes

Do you have any kind of liver problems? Could be that you know? Edibles “highness” has much to do with the liver.

3 Likes

It’s either a fat based vehicle and you need the lecithin. Think like this:

Edibles are like a
Birthday card-> cannabinoids

Sent in an
Envelope-> fat

That the
Postman-> lecithin

Has to deliver
Street/access to building-> under your tongue, liver and the digestive tract (intestine)

Tincture

Is like having an

Email account-> alcohol

Where you get
Email-> cannabinoids

In alcohol it’s almost instantly because the cannabinoids ( both alcohol and fat soluble) are more accessible (the cannabinoids THC-A or THC if decarbed, CBD cbg etc) rather than in fat because of our poor ability to absorb pure fat aka oils and cannabutters.

I hope I make sense here :rofl:

High proof alcohol (tinctures made with everclear aka green dragon look up @ReikoX thread)

4 Likes

Something to have in mind also is the size( build) of the person, age, diet, and also when the medibles are taken if with other foods or on an empty stomach, all this affects the effectiveness. A bit like wine, or spirits in general, some people can drink loads and other can’t and that has also to do with the liver.

Hope this makes any sense :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Medibles don’t work for me” ugh what I do is get a bud and cover it with peanut butter like totally, or I can’t believe it’s not butter or real butter with Italian olive oil. Let the olive oil on the chron dry then put that on top of a dark chocolate then that on top of a slice of pizza :pizza: from Pizza Hut put then that top of a cookie :cookie: sheet silver pan put it in the oven 400degrees for meybe 20, 17 minutes then let it cool down outof oven and eat it, that way aye works better than gummies thank, -gasiNaZipLock

1 Like

It does honestly. I use easy to absorb oils myself and honestly sometimes waste money to try something out. Sometimes the recipe works and others not so much.

In the case of the honey I used it likely has beeswax in it from being raw and unfiltered solid honey.

I’ve been using avocado oil lately in place of mct oil.

I haven’t been using lecithin much anymore truth be told. I haven’t been noticing any reduced effects without, but in the case of where I know I’m making an edible for someone with digestive issues I’ll also try to find out what will work on a personal level for them best.

Sometimes the recipe calls for emulsion and in that case I’ve been finding guar gum to be the most useful, but using it is trial and error for the end result Sometimes. It thickens with time like gelatin.

I might be wrong but all that guar does is thicken and not emulsifie. Not many substances have the ability to do so, capture oils and fats in one. You can mix a fat and water in a stable form for a very limited time.

Analyzing the guar gum use, in my amateur perspective as I am not a chemist, is that since it is a thickening/ jelling agent it slows down the time it takes to travel down your digestive tract, it doesn’t make the cannabinoids more accessible/efficient.

Basically what I am saying is, and please don’t get me wrong, if you use a fat use lecithin as it will be more effective/efficient. I have made oils without lecithin and got the desired results but had to use more than one with. One could say you get more miles per gallon. Lecithin being a kind of a catalyst.

Some oils do have lecithin in them. Take mustard, it has its own oils and also lecithin. Just like sunflower oil or soy.

2 Likes

It’s actually been very useful for making oils and water mix to a small degree. It thickens with time, but that doesn’t really do anything for digestion function in my experience.

I’ve been having a significantly easier time working with guar gun and xanthan gum than I did lecithin as well. Lecithin would clump with the tiniest amount used. Liquid would never emulsify either and always fall out of solution when only oil was used. Anything else and it would never mix stable still.

I’ve tried soy, sunflower, and liquid forms of lecithin. I’ve never managed to get it to work honestly. I’ve used an immersion blender and that didn’t work either. Especially not with ethanol. Every time any brand of PGA was used it instantly falls out of solution until the alcohol is gone entirely and then its stable for a few minutes before it separates again.

Truthfully seed gels are easier to work with for emulsifiers.

I prefer basil gel over chia gel, but both will work with sugar, oil, and water. Basil gel works with alcohol as well as vinegar without any issues.

One of the things I was getting at though is in my experience it just makes a layer of lecithin with actives and a layer of oil.

My metric for an emulsifier is if it can make a stable emulsion without breaking up while dosing it I can use it. Others may have different experiences with it than I have as you’ve explained. Well enough that you recommend it highly. In my case only gummies that I whip to a marshmallow like structure will manage to keep emulsion long term.

That’s mainly why I switched to things that I’ve found work for me in my area.

If you can find my original posts where I used it you’ll see what some examples are, but they’re not worth learning from past what not to do if your edible recipes behave similar to mine.

1 Like

@curiouscat
So I’ll admit when I’m wrong.

I do use lecithin, but in a different form than pure. Apparently avocado oil has lecithin naturally in it. I’ve been using it as it’s been really strange how it just incorporates into my recipes without much mixing.

Using lecithin pure I haven’t been able to figure making a stable emulsion.

I’ll try one of your recipes for good measure as there’s no way it won’t work for me. Would you recommend that I use liquid or powder lecithin when I try it again?

4 Likes

I have never used liquid form, just the granules.

No worries. All is good. :hugs:

2 Likes

It just occurred to me, how about a maionese? It has water, fat and an emulsifier.

You could infuse, say olive oil and that would contain the cannabinoids

Vinager for the water content

Mustard as an alternative source of lecithin (mustard has lecithin in it)
Or egg yolk also a natural emulsifier (also has lecithin)

I’ll try and look up for other natural emulsifiers.

2 Likes

I just found this

3 Likes

Mayo/Aioli work great for really any dish that you’d use egg and oil in anyways. I tend to use it when I’m making condiments I want infused. Bread too. Meatloaf works great with mayo.

I’ll use mustard in a lot of things, but not actually for emulsion. I just really like mustard lol. Garlic and onion too actually. They’ll help a sauce to come together slightly as well. In some cases I’ll be failing to get a sauce to keep from breaking and then I add some garlic paste to the sauce and stir it in, heat it gently, and then let it thicken. It’s usually done after that and I didn’t use any flour to make my gravy or whatever else keeping more flavor intact.

Edit: yes I did say I’ve found garlic paste to fix a broken gravy/pan sauce. Without flour.

2 Likes

In case anyone wants to grow their own mustard for the lecithin grow brown mustard. Yellow mustard is a weak plant. I use them to grow as microgreens that won’t survive to grow more than just the seedling leaves.

Brown mustard will just survive. I haven’t watered them in a month now. Chia too. Once the chia gets to 3 nodes it just won’t die no matter how much I neglect them. They’re flourishing funny enough despite effectively growing in dirt now rather than soil. Though the potato plant was finally killed off, so any potatoes it made should be getting fed back into the soil.

I mentioned chia as well as despite having no lecithin it emulsifies my recipes very well.

The gel in seed gels is usually a mix of carbs and fiber creating a gel network that binds to oil and water as well as vinegar and ethanol.

2 Likes

Are you an enthusiastic chef or a chef with enthusiasm? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m not a chef, but I have worked in the food industry for a bit. I have a lot of enthusiasm for food though as tasty food is the easiest way to eat a lot of food before you can feel how full you are. Especially when you have the munchies and you can taste even more flavors from the food :yum:

Edit: in case anyone was curious about the honey I made with all that avocado oil. It hasn’t separated yet at all and has gotten thicker over time. Potency hasn’t dropped at all from the point that I made it while it was warm still.

All I need for a dose is just a spoonful and I’m low pain for hours. 2 spoonfuls and I’m pain-free and high as all hell. That dosing has remained completely consistent.

My sister’s fiance had to get surgery after a bad fall from 2 stories up landing on his foot. He’s able to be good with just 1 spoonful for pain right after the nerve blockers ran out. 2 was enough for him to get high without smoking as well. So good to know as well that my weed definitely has a decent CBG and/or CBC content based on the nerve pain relief we’ve both noted.

Edit 2: for reference as well i need around 800mg THC dabbed in a fairly short period to get anywhere close to the pain relief i get from CBG and CBC in about 25mg each. Something I was able to test only because of lab tested CBC and CBG distillate.

@curiouscat I’m Autistic and have only found weed and re-uptake inhibitors for meds to be effective at all. Though in the case of weed I did 2 years straight of research in my spare time(I had no job or responsibilities at the time) before I ever asked my friend to smoke me up to try it. Since then I’ve never stopped trying to dig out any research I can on this plant. Interestingly I have not been able to find out anything about increased serotonin from smoking weed, but I can definitely attest to both myself and a good friend who has noticed the same thing.

4 Likes

I use sunflower lecithin

3 Likes

“hi-test” tincture?

1 Like

aka strong, potent :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like