My foolproof distillate sour gummy recipe. Just like a real gummy

Hi , this is my first topic so I thought I would start with something constructive. If you follow the instructions you will do just fine.

First of all, I would like to say that I’m not a big fan of distillate, I want more than just thc. I prefer recipes that’s uses a fat and buds. I’ve never tried a gummy made with butter or coconut oil and don’t see how this could taste good. If you have let me know! It took me few trials and some research to design the recipe, but nothing too complicated. This should yield minimum 20 gummy bars (5cm x 2cm x 1cm). I don’t use lecithin and it’s not a big issue even with the crazy amount (imo) of distillate we have per bar (0.4g, ~300-400mg thc). Only little tiny specs of distillate do not fully incorporate and settle on the surface of the molded gummy (will try to find a pic) and they practically disappear once step 9 is done.

Weight all ingredients first and wear a mask so you don’t breathe Gelatin and jello powder.

INGREDIENTS:

• standard lemon jello packet (85g)
  • standard Knox Gelatin packet (7.2g)
  • sorbitol (12g)
  • citric acid (1.33g)
  • light corn syrup (82g)
  • cold water (79g)
  • potassium sorbate (0.13g)

PROCEDURE:

1. Put the potassium sorbate in shot glass or similar and pour tiny bit of water from the 79g of water (just enough to dissolve it).

2. Put remaining of water in Pyrex measuring cup and slowly sprinkle in the Gelatin and jello powder while gently mixing with small dessert fork or similar (do not use a wisk, it will incorporate too many bubbles and bubbles are no good). Once everything is dissolved and has slushy consistency let the Gelatin rest/activate for 10min or for the time you go smoke a jay.

3. Add the remaining ingredients and the potassium sorbate solution, one at the time constantly and gently stirring them in (make sure you get all that corn syrup inside)

4. Heat up the mixture in a double boiller setup, regularly and gently stirring (bubbles=enemy) until the slush turned liquid and is hot throughout (mixture temp should not go above water boiling temp) this should take 4-5min after water is boiling. You can also try the lazy way: zap the mixture in the microwave for 15-20seconds intervals stirring between each zap for something like 1 to 1:30 minutes in total (depends of your microwave, have acheives same result with 10 seconds zap for total of 30 seconds with super powerful microwave), the goal is not to burn the thc or the others canabinoids.

5-6. Remove Pyrex from water bath and drop the desired quantity of distillate (RSO should work just fine too) and stir it gently until fully incorporated. Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶z̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶:̶ ̶z̶a̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶x̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶c̶r̶o̶w̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶1̶5̶-̶2̶0̶s̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶v̶a̶l̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶r̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶z̶a̶p̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶1̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶1̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶u̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶c̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶a̶b̶i̶n̶o̶i̶d̶s̶.̶ ̶ This might take some time but should homogenize just fine even without lecithin. If it doesn’t and it bothers you, go get the lecithin gel caps at the pharmacy and pop one in this should fix your issue (in theory, never tried)

1. Once everything is as homogenized as possible, you can pour the mixture in your molds and put in the freezer(~30min, or when they unmold easy) for a quick set or just in the fridge(~1h, or when they unmold easy).

2. Once they are hard enough to removed from the molds. Put and space them on parchment paper and put them on racks or shelves in a closet to dry(or better; in your drying room) for 5-7 days depending on rh and temp, turning them halfway through for even drying. This is really important, they will turn from jelloey consistency to actual store bought gummy consistency.

3. Mix 1 part citric acid to 10 part sugar in a container, coat the gummy and put them back to dry for another ~5 days(no need to turn them halfway here). I’ve found that the gummies need to rest for a few days after the coating in order to stabilize (this is where the tiny specs of distillate will start to blend in the candy and kinda disappear, it’s hard to explain) because the citric acid will continue to pull moisture out of the gummy.

4. Enjoy :call_me_hand:

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• Conservation: these should stay good at room temp for year minimum, longer if stored in the fridge. The citric acid, lemon jello flavor and potassium sorbate all are acids and have anti bacterial properties. Saw that generally potassium sorbate is used in jams/jellys and such at 0.025% to 0.1% concentration, so I based myself on that. Total weight × your desired concentration, I used 0.025%, a bit less actually since there are two other acids present. If you use another flavor that maybe not as acidic you could easily go to 0.05%.

UPDATE

• Bubbles: if you are impatient or not gentle enough you most likely end up with bubbles. A trick is to let the mixture cool off a bit after step 6 and remove foam/bubble skin with spoon.

UPDATE 2

• All times are approximations except for the jello/gelatin blooming/activation that’s a 10min minimum. All microwaves are different so be careful not to burn your mixture , start with 10 seconds intervals for 30 seconds if you have those super powerful microwaves. Foolproof = double boiller

• Small layer of foam will form on top of the mixture in step 4 for sure, you can leave it if your going to sugar coat them or let the mixture cool for like 10mins and remove with spoon/fork (the drying step will remove some too).

And I think that’s it, I’m open for questions and criticism

-ELG :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

35 Likes

We can see here the small dark spots I was talking about

13 Likes

Excellent tutorial @ELG ! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Thanks man!

1 Like

very cool, thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Bookmarked this…

Can I use like a qwet extract?

1 Like

I’m not sure, but it should work in theory if you remove all the solvent.

3 Likes

I’ve got it bookmarked as well. Thanks 4 sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for the recipe, got it bookmarked! Can’t wait to try this out.

1 Like

Nice thanks for the post.

1 Like

@MTL @Indoornesian @SweetLeaf @monkeyman you are welcome! If anyone tries this, post some pictures! :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Excellent write up @ELG I’m saving it.

Questions:

Explaine: #4) " (mixture temp should not go above water boiling temp) this should take 4-5min after water is boiling. " you Do want this to boil for 5 ish mins or Don’t boil, just simmering hot without actually boiling. ?

Do these Actually taste “Good” ? Like no Cannabis flavors, similarly to store bought THC gummys ? Any flavor would work?

Have you tried this with RSO? I’m assuming the RSO flavor will overpower the gummy flavor…

Do you find these gummys to be strong?
Could it be possible to make them stronger? I’m assuming this is only based on the Distillent purchased?

Would you be willing to add photos of every step in here next time you make these?

4 Likes

Thank you @CADMAN ! You can leave it boiling as long as no water is getting inside the Pyrex measuring cup, if it’s not stable you can just keep it to a simmer for a bit longer, the goal is to heat the mixture throughout so all the ingredients melt/combine together.

I’ve never had actual store bought legal thc candies. These are super concentrated so yeah they taste like distillate but not like that super intense cannabutter taste, the lemon flavor and sugar coating helps a lot. I’m pretty sure your not going to have a big distillate taste if you dose them like a regular person instead of the dosage I used… You should be fine with any flavor (apparently pineapple is a tricky one for some reason)

These are stupid strong imo. They are not for me but I’ve tried half of one and it got me fuc*ed, like really really high. For sure you can make these stronger but the stronger they are the more they will taste like weed and you will eventually HAVE to add the lecithin caps for the oil to bind with the candy properly. In theory(because I don’t get tested stuff, but its from trusted source) the distillate is something like 90-95% thc so 1g=~900-950mg thc (rso maybe 60-70% thc, just guessing). I generally use 100-150mg and it gets me going. Never tried with rso, dosing may be tricky. Never had rso at all actually I’ve always wanted to try since I heard Rick Simpsons story. Will share some photos tomorrow. :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Yesterday was your lucky day, I went to go train someone since I won’t have time to make these in the futur. I asked the trainee to take some pictures (edit: don’t mind the notes on the pictures) and doing the process again made me think of things to clarify (will add them in the important notes section). Sorry pictures are not the best and I don’t have pictures of every step, but I think it’s enough to give you an idea.

Step 1

Step 2 before the Gelatin bloom/activation

Step 3 after bloom/activation before adding corn syrup

Step 4

Just realized a mistake in step 5 and 6, they are basically basically same step. the microwave thing is BEFORE adding the distillate/rso, so you add the “weed” at the end. Was everyone high like me and didn’t notice the mistake?

Step 5-6, I trick I use is to “tea-bag-dip” the concentrate non-stop until it fully melts/dissolve. Smaller drops are easier to mix in then a big one.

Step 7. I use a squeeze bottle so I can have easier controle over the tiny distillate bubbles for even distribution (optional imo if for personal consumption and because I assume people are not going to make them as strong as me so they won’t have the tiny distillate specs, therfore the Pyrex spout is fine) got no picture of the pouring sorry

That’s it for now, if I go back, I’ll take pictures of the drying and coating process. Let me know if it helped, if not I can try to help with some pictures I can find online maybe.

6 Likes

Hahaha AWSOME THANKS.

2 Likes

How do you make your distillate?

1 Like

I don’t, I get it from a trusted source.

1 Like

Where online do you get yours?

1 Like

I’m in QC, I get it from my old plug locally. I don’t really order that stuff online it’s probably overpriced and I don’t know about the quality.

2 Likes

Awee A fellow Canadian :sparkling_heart: Eh

3 Likes