Medibles don't work for me

I use the leaf and flowers if I can. I make an extraction like I would with weed in alcohol and for lemon balm I give it at least 24 hours to soak. Once it pulls reds and blues into the alcohol it should be ready to use. I don’t decarb it in every case. I did that as a test and it definitely seems to work as well, but the strongest ones I made used fresh lemon balm leaves and flowers from our garden.

I use a 32oz jar and fill it about halfway with plant material and then cover it in alcohol only an inch above the top. I usually have to top it up after the leaves and flowers absorb some and start floating about exposing some plant material.

That will make 3 batches at the ratios I use

3 Likes

Have some lemon balm starting finally; plan to add the plant material to my MBM tincture recipe. How much do you think you’re using compared to the cannabis?

1 Like

I’ll use around 7-14g fresh weight of leaves per batch if I want it strong for a single batch or I’ll fill a 32oz jar with leaves. I don’t usually weight that one tbh, but its a good amount larger and I’ll usually prefer to make a tincture with it.

Remember solvent transfer method if you want it alcohol free. It takes time. Think boiling water. You want ideally as small amount as possible when using solvent transfer. It’s not a huge issue otherwise and just a time sink.

Remember to grind the seeds into a powder or freeze and scrape off the gel. Chia gel is used in the same exact function as xanthan gum except it can emulsify too. Basil seed gel will function more like guar gum. Just mix the gels with water to create a full gel before mixing in anything else and it’ll keep emulsion. Like making sauces in cooking.

2 Likes

GRIND THE SEEDS??? Fuck me… did you mention that before and I just missed it or what?

1 Like

My wife is like that. Ive seen her eat 50mg weed pill I made from shatter. She ate 9 of them at one and it didn’t faze her at all. I took 1 damit. And I lost 2 days of my life. So F ing HIGH I almost called 911. I will never do that again. Nope.

2 Likes

I wish :frowning: I would put them on speed dial :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most edibles are hit or miss with me, except firecrackers. They do the trick every time. 1g of weed mixed in about 2 tbsp of peanut butter sandwiched between 2 Graham crackers baked at 325 for 20 minutes and I’m high af for 4-6 hours.

4 Likes

Grinding is optional and adds an extra step. Freezing and scraping the gel off does the trick just fine

1 Like

Your baking the weed first right? Not making the Cracker sandwich & then baking? Cause I’d that would be messy.

I felt I should mention my latest edible recipe.

All you need is an apothecary funnel, a slow cooker, 2 pint jars, 454g honey, 14g weed, and avocado oil.

I’ve made it both decarbed first and this way and honestly this way hits way harder for me.

I just keep it on low or high depending on temperature measurements and as long as it’s 120-150f it’s all good to keep going. Shaking occasionally to get everything mixed. Once the weed smell has changed entirely to a toasted decarbed smell it’s ready to strain through the funnel.

Straining will be slow, but nothing will be absorbed into a filter and any leftovers you can make into a tea to get off the filter and get the bits stuck to the weed still out.

It can take 8 hours or 36 hours entirely depending on the weed truthfully, but it has a very close effect feel to when smoked. Just longer lasting obviously.

I didn’t mix in any emulsifiers, but it has a full emulsion regardless. 14g weed to 454g honey makes a very good ratio when the rest of the volume is filled with avocado oil. No more than 4oz unless you have no issues with runny honey.

After filtering skim the surface when cooled down toget the majority of the plant matter that passed through out of the final product.

It was a test to see how long it would take without anything complicated to make a shelf stable infusion. A teaspoon full is plenty for both myself and my fiance and we both have a decent edible tolerance.

You may have to put it in the oven on 150-170f if you can to get it warm enough to flow without taking 10-12 hours to pass through. Assuming your honey can flow once cooled.

I used raw unfiltered honey and it was nearly solid. It usually takes an hour or 2 to get it melted on 150f.

1 Like

8-38 hours being the time to strain or the length of effect? I’ve been getting 3-4 hours max with my MCT and FECO.

2 Likes

I’ve met so many people that edibles don’t work on. Given them edibles I personally made that are far too strong to begin with and nothing, even. Same batches that other people and myself found to be too much. I have so many “edible stories” lol shit will teach you respect if you eat enough; it can be as intense as a “real” psychedelic like L or fungus, if you push it.

They get me absolutely rocked, I hardly ever use them.

I’m sure a sufficiently massive dose would still work but this is a phenomenon I’ve personally witnessed, dozens of times.

I have no theory as to why this is, since the people they don’t work on all smoke flower and hash and it works just fine. I don’t know much about physiology and pharmacology, maybe someone who knows more can figure it out.

3 Likes

No no no. 8-36 hours for heating. This isn’t a method for babysitting the project. It’s a set and forget it type of recipe. You can start it before bed and make sure there’s enough water to last the night above halfway up the jar.

This is really more than anything a shockingly strong lazy way to make infused honey. You can use a 200 mesh screen to get the plant matter out of the final product if you want to, but as fine as they are they may as well be kief in suspension. I didn’t use my 200 mesh to do a final pass.

2 Likes

I got you now. How was the taste? I imagine mostly just sweet? Have you dried any in a warm/cold drink?

2 Likes

@ChemicalDependant Yes I have. It didn’t break into layers after making a tea from it.

It was delicious :yum:

The honey I used has a strong berry and citrus flavor, so that carried through tithe end product. The decarbed weed taste is about 50/50 with the honey taste. Thankfully they work together or they’d be fighting for dominant flavor.

Though I will add that the weed I grew last after curing has a nice tea leaf smell going for it :yum: citrus, tea, slightly minty, and musty/skunky both.

Cheese and OG Skunk were used in this batch. How they would up for phenotype was interesting.

This is the batch that I decided to let it stay as is.

Don’t mind the white dots. I added dried honey granules after filtering and they’ll likely need a water bath to melt.

2 Likes

Nope, I bake it after I make the sandwich. No real mess either, ya just wrap the sandwich in foil before putting it in the oven. You do have to clean the spoon and bowl afterwards but dishes tend to need cleaning after cooking anyways. I suppose if you’re using the natural peanut butter that’s really oily it could be messy, but I just use regular peanut butter, usually store brand or jif.

4 Likes

Thanks for this thread @monkeyman. I have been looking for a solution to my edibles dilemna. I’m going to start using some lecithin , and copy some of these great recipes. My wife enjoys edibles all the time, and I just have to go puff, and not waste them for her sake. :joy:

Its on! :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Yesterday I kept trying to figure out what was wrong with me. It was that I ate 7 cookies (140mg) and kept forgetting.

It’s true though, some people are immune.

6 Likes

Oh I’m sure there are some people who’s body chemistry is incompatible with edibles. There’s a number of genetic disorders that can alter how your body takes in nutrition. Some can make it so you’re missing enzymes that would allow you to break down certain foods or alcohol. I don’t think it would be that strange to think the chemistry responsible for the breakdown of delta-9 thc into delta-11 thc could be missing or malfunctioning in some people.

While my chosen career path won’t involve biology it’s still something that I have a passion for following up on as much information on as possible. Admittedly for selfish reasons mainly as my body doesn’t have the ability to gain weight without risking an early heart attack, so I’m aiming to find anything I can out on increasing nutritional intake without having to eat so much I get a recoil the next day and get nauseous all day.

I’ve managed to find a few ways that help for sure. Calorie bombs help(3500-4000 calories minimum), insane amounts of potassium(about 300% DV at least), shockingly heavy sodium(also around 300%), nutritional yeast in nearly everything, about 500% DV protein, 300% DV water, and in general about triple values all around to not see a low level in my blood tests. Strangely no cholesterol or heart issues they can find, but who knows yet.

All I can say in general about this is weed is the only reason I can eat past full and manage this. The edibles recipes I post are ones that helped my appetite when it was at its most nauseating. Hopefully they help others as well.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I forgot, but while optional I’d highly recommend it: dried honey. Any moisture from this method that gets introduced while in the slow cooker whether from the weed or water the jar is in from steam.

I wouldn’t add them until after filtering, but not after cooling down. They take awhile to rehydrate, but the time is worth it to ensure the honey has no water content high enough to risk spoilage/fermentation.

Unless you want to make a weed mead I’d really recommend balancing out the water content.

As an extra step completely optional and only for the health benefits I mix in 454g of raw unfiltered solid honey to the jar I use. That’s a 32oz jar I showed earlier. It’s now maxed out and no more room for additions are possible.

Despite the dried honey and pound of solid honey added the honey seems to be staying fluid. Though extremely thick. It’s 66f in my house, so I wouldn’t think it would be warm enough to stay liquid honey. No separation. Likely in part due to the waxes naturally in the raw honey used to make this.

3 Likes