Medicinal use of Cannabis in East Africa

I’m starting this thread for my friend Mike Kago, from Kenya, owner of East Africa Genes, on IG and the web. Please respect the no seed sales on OG rule. He is new here and not aware of the rules yet. ( @kidete, there is a way to sell seeds. See @LemonadeJoe for details, he’s the site owner.
Cannabis is still the go to remedy for many ailments in East Africa. Lack of money for regular medical treatment is certainly one reason why, but there is another. It works.
I don’t know how big this topic can get, but it’s my hope we can all learn some additional uses for this magical plant from people using it everyday.
@Kidete will be joining us shortly. I’ll send him an IG message. Direct any questions at him. He’s the expert, I’m the student😁

23 Likes

@Kidete, I’m not sure where to start, so I’ll ask the first question. What are the most common ailments treated by cannabis in Kenya, and how is the plant prepared.
Oh yeah. One more thing. Welcome to OG buddy! :+1:

13 Likes

I can tell you one FOR SURE. I’ve been off my depression/anxiety mess for 4 years now. My regular physician said he wasn’t in favor of me doing this. This years regular physical he told me he can’t believe how good all my numbers improved. No more blood pressure medicine either. I’m not saying it’s a miracle drug but my stress management is just so much better its the one for me 100%. Sorry to but in.

15 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome @Upstate

Locals healers in western Kenya have used cannabis as medication for several decades. It’s used to treat asthma, measles, and malaria.

The medication is administered using several methods. The doctor can smoke a joint and blow the smoke directly into the patient’s nose to heal measles and malaria. He will then boil the plant minus the roots and give the concoction to the patient while it’s hot.

Parents to babies and older children administer tea spoons of the concoction for three days, sometimes more depending on the severity. The doctor provides cannabis to the patient. Asthma patients also take the same concoction.

Measles requires a different treatment. The doctor boils the cannabis then pours it into a basin. He then takes a sponge and gives the patient a sponge bath. Since it normally affects children under 10 years, the parent carries some cannabis home to continue with the medicated sponge baths

16 Likes

is cannabis used in other health care products in africa?
i had really dry hair and dandruff until i was around 20 years old and i saw my friend get the resin off his hands by running them through this hair. i started doing this after rolling joints, etc and the only time my hair gets dry now is on a long tolerance break. something tells me they have discovered this long ago in africa.

4 Likes

Is the cannabis typically cultivated? Or is it collected from the environment?

4 Likes

South Africa produces CBD products since weed is legal for local consumption. Cannabis is illegal here in east Africa and this is why we don’t have locally manufactured cannabis products

5 Likes

It’s cultivated in high volume because there’s a high demand for cannabis consumption. In East Africa, it’s mainly grown in the rural agricultural towns. The weed season starts around April/May so that it coincides with the long rains which start in May and end in July

5 Likes

Is arthritis common among older people in Kenya, or is it uncommon. Also, if you had to guess the % of the population using cannabis treatments, what would you guess?
Are their different cannabis landraces used for different ailments?

2 Likes

That’s good info to share here. @Kidete is chronic everyday depression seen much in Kenya?
Also, I read Malawi Gold is chewed for toothaches. Have you heard of this practice?

3 Likes

Athritis is common in Kenya, especially in areas with cold climates. I haven’t heard about any treatments for the condition using cannabis but I’ll look into it.

As for the traditional doctors in western Kenya, they mainly use the Kisumu sativa since it’s readily available. Some of the doctors grow a few plants for their practice.

I’ve posted a review of the Kisumu sativa on my website

8 Likes

Depression case are rare as well as suicide cases. People were still optimistic even though the pandemic.

I might have to do some research on how Malawi Gold is used to treat toothaches

7 Likes

Welcome @Kidete very cool of you to start this off @Upstate

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome :pray:

5 Likes

Welcome @Kidete! I was just reading about medical treatments of malaria since I had recently read about several cases of it here in the states of Florida and Texas. It seems in animal studies CBD showed some promise with preventing neurological symptoms with cerebral malaria.

I was curious how frequent this type of treatment is administered to the patient? Do they drink the tea everyday for a week or two or just a few sessions? Or until all symptoms are gone?

Also, regarding the tea, is the plant used when it’s in full flower or just when it’s in veg mode? I’m assuming it’s with the flower and the boiling assists with isomerization similar to how hops are boiled in beer making.

6 Likes

@Kidete welcome to OG. I am following this thread now. I’m very interested to know about medicinal cannabis uses and medicinal uses of other plants.

I’ve had more than a handful of bone and joint surgeries. Each time, I got off of prescription painkillers as soon as I was discharged from the hospital. Fortuneately, I was in an already medical legal state CA in US, and I had easy access to quality cannabis products. I found that they didn’t dull the pain much, but they distracted my mind from focussing on the pain.

With strong edibles, I was able to sleep well even through significant discomfort. I could endure more strenuous rehab workouts for longer duration. My digestive system seemed to function much better with cannabis instead of prescription pain killers. Overall, my body felt healthy, and i think my injuries improved more quickly.

Question…

Do traditional doctors in East Africa use cannabis to treat problems of virility, libido, erectile disfunction?

9 Likes

You forgot the obligatory “asking for a friend” :laughing: just kidding around man!

9 Likes

In my personal experience, cannabis is the real horny goat weed!

4 Likes

The doctor prescribes the tea for daily use until the symptoms disappear, usually within the estimated time.

The doctors use mature cannabis plants to make the tea. They use mature buds, seeds, leaves and the branches. Patients go home with an ounce or more depending on their medical condition

8 Likes

The doctors don’t use cannabis to treat ED or libido issues since a majority of people believe that such issues will disappear through eating enhancement foods. Such as, peanuts and indigenous vegetables

9 Likes