Meesh's 2019 Outdoor Grow Show

Outdoor Growers learning lesson and tip #5057

Never net 2 or more plants together. Always net each plant separately because if one falls, you only lose a mast instead of taking down the whole ship… Fucken Strawberry Diesels, Fucken stupid inexperienced trellisers, Fucken nets… grumble grumble etc… etc…

9 Likes

…Fucken black widows. This thing hurts.

5 Likes

Another thing I really like about Northern Alberta, no Black Widows…

2 Likes

I’m having everything sprayed as soon as the plants are harvested. Supposedly they have some sort of organic pesticide made from chrysanthemums they can use that kills them. I can’t take any more bites. This is my third this year. 2 bites last time and 1 this time.

4 Likes

Not experienced by any means like to experiment with things but yes top the main apical stem check out mainlining, with that process you grow plant to 5-6 nodes clip above the 3rd node and strip everthing below then grow out topping a total of up to 5x symmetrical to produce up to 32 main colas but you more than likely have to still super crop or tie down in areas to get bushy plants it will lower the profile over all and make for really strong stems where you may not even need trellis…I’ll send ya a b Video link by Kyle Kushman that I’ll try and incorporate some of his techniques

8 Likes

^^^ And you don’t really have to be all scientific about it, you can just pull out the hedging machine or shears and just go for it. Was it you @cannabissequoia who done something similar?

5 Likes

A little off the top at @Meesh ‘s barber shop? Lol

3 Likes

I am way too sissy to crack the stems and stuff, The pruning technique is very helpful though. One of these days, I’ll get brave and start snapping branches.

2 Likes

The Charlotte’s Angel grow amazingly well. Colas as long and fat as your arm @cogitech. It’s the most vigorous plant that I’ve ever grown that’s for sure. Mine didn’t look anywhere near as pretty as @Meesh plant did. I’m looking forward to the smoke report from meesh as I’ve honestly never felt anything quite like it. Your body feels stoned and heavy but your totally aware and clear headed :+1:

4 Likes

@Meesh aphids. and ant farmers making more aphids. i’ll see at stunrise if there’s any ladies left :joy: but the ants are already thwarted by the borax it seems.

To control the plant you want to cut the newest/leading tip of the main stem & every branch when it’s about 1/2 the final desired size, almost daily it seems–definitely 1x/wk, until about week 2 of flowering.

Buuuuut… strains are varied; @Pedro_Bann yessir-- On the big Durban/RCB I used hedge-shears 3or 4 times, removing close to 2m/6ft, and STILL ended up way taller than planned. Crazy.
My first trial with that was a couple of years ago on the mother plant & it worked fine…saved a lot of time. Full disclosure: I took a tip from the weednerd who’d heard it/seen it done. :blush: To be proper about it requires some detailing later: i’ve got some dead stem tips in the canopy that never got dealt with but are only ugly…no rot.

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Ya I was very hesitant about it first but when ya see the tips turn upward after 6 hours or so that you just put a 90 degree angle in the stem it starts making it easier .

3 Likes

I agree with the supercroping idea. It’s one of the best bushing techniques imho. I also like the caging tech too. Next year I’m going to use two cages per plant. One early on to train and another one to support the branches. Sometimes supercropping makes for a floppy plant and the cage with t posts keeps them supported. Also, bit harder for thieves to grab n run.

3 Likes

My only problem with t-posts and cages I had this year was getting to the plant… if I wanted to pull weeds or do foliars or spray for bugs or prune even… How do I get to the bottom half of the plant? @Jjm

3 Likes

Dad and I have started formulating a plan that I think will really work. Please, everyone tell me your thoughts on this…

Using rebar (like t-posts) then making like 30" squares with pvc that fits on top strung with string like a strong no slack net for them to grow through in veg. Then we can either use really tall rebar so another pvc contraption can fit on top maybe another 24 - 30" or we can use nets at this point.

That way you have about 2 feet underneath that you can get to, to topdress your soil etc… and the main stem and upper part of the plant has heavy support as it grows.

5 Likes

I wire them to the tposts up about 8” off the ground. You still can reach under but don’t go on till good way in veg. I also don’t weed after a bit…kinda lazy😀. I also use 6”x6” squares in mesh so can reach in to tie etc. i make them pretty long and overlap to fit each plant. Two tposts work good but three work good in my cage.
Rebar is great idea I have a farm so have lots of tposts.

2 Likes

We were thinking it would look something like a scrog on legs… Think it would work? I can’t find anything with 6 inch squares in the city either… no cattle panels etc… We basically got chicken wire with like 3 or 4 inch holes that you can’t get your hands through even.

4 Likes

just need to bitch… 2 gosh darn weeks of gnarly antibiotics again cuz of the fucken black widow! They really tear up my stomach and I can’t have any UV rays even artificially created. Not exactly convenient when you are a gardener

4 Likes

How many bites till you are immune?

The scrog net style support sounds like a plan although 3mm 4 or 6 inch steel or aluminium mesh could be easier and cheaper to attach to your t posts … I’m assuming that’s what we down here call star pickets? At any height you like. And can be cut in whatever square or rectangle shape you want.

3 Likes

That’s the thing, I can’t seem to find any of the aluminum/steel etc… in my area at all. It seems like it is mostly used on farms and they just don’t carry stuff like that in the city. We have looked. Stuff like that is also very hard to order via the internet because you really need to see it in person before you buy it. ie… really sharp edges that will cut into branches etc… that’s why we were gonna use a type of paracord and create the top ourselves in the style of @StillSmoking did for his indoor grow. Can you post a pic, dude of your rad screen so they can see what I mean?

3 Likes

Burped my buckets of bud and couldn’t help but grab a couple Cherry Berry White nugs for tonight’s smoke. She is cured and the smell is overwhelming. Nice smooth finish! Ahhhhh!

5 Likes