Meesh's 2019 Outdoor Grow Show

Only about 2 hours away from where I grew up, Birmingham. Nashville is a cool town, too.

3 Likes

Dry to the touch outside and still springyā€¦if you donā€™t have a screen brown paper bags can work with paper strips between layers. For large batches I have heard of using the oven bags to cure but not store as they leak slowly(?).

4 Likes

with fan leaf or without ? does your method vary according to humidity? Are you covering the plants with the bag or placing them in it and catching anything that falls in?

3 Likes

@Olbrannon I take all the fan leaf off Before putting on the drying rack. The method does vary a little depending on humidity. Hot days of summer I might leave them on the rack for an extra day. In the winter I sometimes put right into the leaf bag. I put the buds in the leaf bag directly not over top.

4 Likes

The way I cure is to trim all the fans off while harvesting leaving the tops long as possible . Then I hang upside down on trellis nets in a dark well ventilated drying room until any remaining leaf snaps off with ease . When dry enough I place in plastic totes to cure I open the totes every day for a couple of hours until trimming . After trimming I jar up my personal stash so I can burp every couple of days until I feel all danger of mold is past . The rest is placed in one gallon zips and placed back in totes up right where I can open to test cure . If you find things are to dry a tortilla tossed inside the totes with zips open and lid tight overnight makes for perfect smoke . I do the same for jars that are to dry a 1/4 of a tortilla overnight will take care of any dryness .

9 Likes

Thatā€™s cool, never heard of that before.

5 Likes

Me eitherā€¦ we used to put a small piece of an orange peel inside a bag of too dry pot. Works the same. Very even humidity.

5 Likes

Even if they are those tiny jars full of rosin. :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

7 Likes

Orange peel works perfect for small amounts but when dealing with larger harvest a bag of tortillas is real handy and fast . I prefer flour corn has a heavy odor and oily ? If you forget the tortilla which can happen when stoned it wonā€™t hurt anything they just dry up .

3 Likes

I have an sister in law that uses piece of bread to maintain humidity levels in a curing jar.

3 Likes

Wow, wheat poisoned weed. Another reason to stick to my own. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

@GMan and @SamwellBB My family is closest to Chattanooga. I am in love with that state! Itā€™s like Cali in the sense that every part of the state is completely different. The only part I havenā€™t seen is Nashville and itā€™s on my bucket list. I am madly in love with Memphis! Itā€™s the only place Iā€™ve ever considered packing up and moving to outside of Cali and Iā€™ve done quite a bit of traveling in my lifetime. That city just thrills me beyond measure. If the weather wasnā€™t so brutal, I would have packed up and moved there 20 years ago.

2 Likes

Trichome check revealedā€¦ Kushage will be the first one ready, cloudy some clearā€¦ Next will be Jungle Spice and Cherry Berry White Clear some cloudy. Botafumeiros and Holy Punch and Charlotteā€™s Angel all clear.

Iā€™m guessing 2 weeks for the Kushage, 2 or 3 for JS and CBW. 3 or 4 for Botafumeiros and Holy Punchā€¦ Halloween at least for the CBDā€¦

Canā€™t wait to get the main harvest over with! Anyone know how long it usually takes from part clear to all cloudy?

6 Likes

Good call chopping this one early. I usually harvest very early outdoors because the rainy season is so intense where I live. It sucks throwing colas away because of rot, but one of the most important things I learned early on about growing outdoor is to plan for losses and expect some plants or strains to fail. I try to have diverse strains and high enough plant numbers to ensure a harvest in even the worst conditions.

This year my system has been kind of thrown off because Iā€™m doing an outdoor breeding project.
I would love to chop my outdoor crop early like this, but itā€™s heavily seeded, and most of the seeds are still immature and green. Iā€™m losing a few colas every day from heavy rain causing bud rot.

Fortunately, the fact that itā€™s a breeding project kind of lowers the stakes, in that Iā€™m not actually going to be smoking it. Iā€™ll get a ton of seeds no matter what, so the overall yield becomes a lot less important.
my plan is to dry everything thoroughly to ensure good viability for the seeds, shuck them from the buds, and make hash with most of the material.

6 Likes

Yeah, I was really glad I carried through instead of waiting. There would have been nothing left. I grew 5 more plants than I intended. Thought more of the regs I planted would be male, got lucky and only had to pull one. I was so bent out of shape and upset when I got the caterpillar invasion, but now Iā€™m okay. Was feeling really greedy about my haul. Realized that I was being ridiculous. I think I will always plant 2 or 3 more than I need for this very reason in future years. You canā€™t really beat Mother Nature on some things. Despite my preventive BT sprays, they still ended up hatching in between and devastating a few plants anyway. My Jungle Spice has quite a few big brown spots from them too, I really noticed today, but she has no pm or fungus on her and I donā€™t see what looks like bud rot starting at this point. Simply the brown spit chunks. Good Shit got bud rot because of the pm after the caterpillar damage. Thatā€™s what screwed her up. Hoping the JS stays fungus free a few more weeks. Iā€™ll lose some of her, bud not to rot. That shit is invasive and spreads, the caterpillar spit does not.

9 Likes

I think you saved a lot of your harvest by staying on top of the bud rot. If you donā€™t keep up with removing it as it appears, it can cascade through the whole plant in just a couple days. It seems like youā€™ve been very diligent.

it is frustrating, but itā€™s all part of the outdoor game. I like to grow a few old school landraces alongside my hybrids because the loose, open buds tend to be very resistant to rot and mildew.

5 Likes

Iā€™m hoping my strawberry diesel buds are like that, cuz she barely started. Have my fingers crossed. They have a long ways to go

4 Likes

Just took another serious look at the jungle spice. She does have bud rot. I cut off like half of one of her colas tonight. She too is coming down earlyā€¦ tmw. Iā€™m pretty sure the Cherry Berry White has some too, but she is like 5 times larger that the good shit or the JS so I think she can manage a few more weeks before I chop her, although that seems to change on the daily right now.

I was wrong. The caterpillar spots do cause bud rot

4 Likes

If it is dead leaves you are calling caterpillar damage/ spit etc, alot of time a dead leaf is telling you there is rot further inside the bud.

6 Likes

Nah, not like the Kushage. That had damage on the branch. Iā€™m talking big brown crumbly hunks of bud that are rotting to the stems and killing off the rest of the bud. Once we get the cage off the JS tmw. I can assess all of the branches and buds for damage. If some are unaffected, Iā€™m gonna leave them on the plant for as long as I can.

6 Likes