Meesh's Winter Greenhouse Grow

Is it really lazy of me that I don’t want to have to harden them off? Just did like a jillion greenhouse plants. lol

Also, it’s too hot in the greenhouse now. I need to get around to taking it down this week. It’s been empty for almost 2 weeks now.

3 Likes

Maybe, I’ve sown the pellet/seedlings directly outdoors (after being indoors) without hardening. Some plants show little adverse effect while others take awhile to recover before they take off. Usually they don’t fail to recover but if they do it’s a specific type of plant and it’s all of them (e.g. hot peppers for me?).

Depends on how much of shock. Light intensity / temperature variation would be a couple of things to think about. Quality of the soil, etc. You could, perhaps, harden them while they are still in the tray…

2 Likes

I’ll take some pics of the ridiculous autos I grew in the winter. They are so small. I’ve never seen anything like it. lol
No more outdoor winter seeds. The autos obviously like a lot more sunshine.

2 Likes

My inclination would be to use the pellets.

If sown directly, there is more risk, particularly in light of your limited amount of seeds.
The pellets will give you more control until the seeds sprout and are somewhat established.
If you had lots more seeds you could simply sow 2 to 3 times as many as you need directly in the bed, thereby enhancing your odds of having plenty of plants in your bed

It is generally not a good idea to use a dome over a tray when in direct sunlight as it can heat up quickly and bake your seedlings.

As soon as the seeds pop up in the pellets, put them under direct sunlight. After a week or so,
plant the sprouts in your bed.

I agree with the above advice as to removing that mesh from the pellets before putting them into
their forever homes.

Good luck.

9 Likes

The two different jiffie pellets I’ve seen being sold (same label/box packaging):

Take a close look at the “fabric” over the peat. Open the box before purchasing them to check. Avoid the “horrible” version. :wink:

6 Likes

and avoid the coco based ones, imo.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

As promised the minis. Don’t think they are gonna do much more than this…

10 Likes
  • nanner @ 8 o’clock
  • you’re trippin. that’s some other 'chit

0 voters

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I know I am new to growing again, but could that be one of those “micropenii” I have been reading about…

Peace
DaFozz

2 Likes

@anon95954822 Hahahaha! Nope. No micropenises on this thread. Neither Human or Plant.

@cannabissequoia I think you are talking about a bud leaf that is black but bright green at the tip. It is sticking out like a micropenis though. :laughing:

7 Likes

OH! Forgot to mention, I see 3 of the autos coming up. Hopefully the other 3 will too!

6 Likes

Whoa! I just read back the posts yesterday and saw the progression of my anxiety disorder. I’ll pick some random thing that I have no control over and obsess on it. Yesterday apparently it was germing seeds. Funny, today I’m like Dude, it’s just a seed sometimes they just don’t come up. lol Then of course, they start germing.

10 Likes

Finally caught up on this thread hehe hope things are good out there and your decisions and seeds are in compliance with each other hahaha … looking FWD to watching your summer

5 Likes

3 autos are completely up and a 4th showing. Hoping the last 2 come up today. Maybe they are just a little deeper than the others. So far 2 dark devils, 1 fem mix and 1 blue dream

5 Likes

5 autos up. Last one is a fem mix, may not happen. 5 out of 6 isn’t bad!

5 Likes

Hehe… One day at a time… Damn, I used too love that show when I was getting older… I don’t like to use the term “growing up” any more as I have yet to do so…

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

I’m dying to try an auto. On @ReikoX list but I’m not sure I can wait. Haha had my cart full of Mephisto seeds a few times. Just havent bit the bullet yet

4 Likes

I had really good luck with my outdoor autos last year. Blue Dreams, they were like 3 ft tall… and well you’ve seen the results outdoors in the winter…mini me’s lol Not sure it was worth the cost of the fancy soil. Live and learn.

5 Likes

I have an established vegtable garden that is screaming for one.

4 Likes

They are great especially if your early fall is really wet. I hear a lot of folks here have problems with bud rot waiting on their photos to finish outside.

3 Likes