Meesh's Winter Greenhouse Grow

Ru already starting to see something?

2 Likes

Scratch the aloe comment above I don’t think they have saponin.

2 Likes

Umm… on hand I have some dish soap from Trader Joes that says no phosphates and Dr. Bronners either tea tree oil or lavender… will any of those work? Also, how early can I spray the plants? Now?

4 Likes

Just a couple flying insects in the greenhouse as I have to leave it unzipped during the day right now for air flow and humidity and just read something about thrips favorite place being greenhouses. Mostly just preventive!

4 Likes

I use Agsil16H to emulsify the neem oil. I first mix 35 grams of Agsil16H with 8 oz. of distilled water. This is equivalent to Pro-TeKt and much cheaper.

Pour 15 ml of cold pressed neem oil in a shot glass. Add 10 ml of the Agsil solution and stir with a bamboo skewer until it becomes a creamy mustard color. This is actually making a type of soap: a strong base + fatty oil = soap.

Now add this and 1/4 teaspoon of aloe powder
to a gallon of warm (about 90°F) declorinated water and shake well. If the water is cold, the oil will just clump up at the top. Spray before lights out (in the evening outdoors).

8 Likes

Yes aloe has saponins, but not as many as yucca, and that is not as much as soap nuts. Aloe also has salicylic acid which stimulates the plants SAR respones.

5 Likes

@ReikoX will any of that soap I listed above work in the meantime while I procure Agsil16H and aloe powder? Can I use it on the seedlings aka now or do they have to be bigger?

3 Likes

I bought this stuff awhile back. Not sure if it’s cold pressed. Does it matter?

4 Likes

Honestly that lavendar Dr. Bronners will most likely work on it’s own for your current situation.

5 Likes

What’s my dilution rate? and Foliar, Correct? I also have pure organic lavender essential oil too. Can I do anything with that?

2 Likes

One teaspoon in a gallon of water foliar should take work until you get the other ingredients for the neem IPM.

And yes the Dyna Gro says it is cold pressed on their website.

3 Likes

Last questions… Does it have to be the evening or can I do it now, dark? And okay for seedlings?

I bookmarked your recipe :grinning: Thank you!

3 Likes

You can do it in the dark, just not in the mid day sun… yeah this shouldn’t hurt the seedlings or soil in any way. And that is Coots recipe from my notes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I know you’ll probably have most of the stuff to make your surfactant be sure to watch my thread on how to make Jadam wetting agent in the near future takes about 900 ml if canola oil , 160 gm of KOH a little water mix it to creamy state let set for 2-3 days add water remix and qs to 1 gallon volume it breaks down in 5 days and is actually considered a nutrient as well.

5 Likes

You could use either one of the Dr Bronner’s soaps as an emulsifier. I don’t think either will hurt the plant. This is my go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJZS10/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good advice from @ReikoX

I’ll just add that when it starts to dry up you’ll want to trim that off so it doesn’t draw any pests. Do you have a fan in there?

5 Likes

Remind me again what is KOH?

Nope. I have the earth and it’s elements. Been unzipping and rolling up the plastic door for air.

4 Likes

Peppermint I’d think would be a great pest deterrent as well, bugs haven’t ever fucked with my spearmint either ,never seen grasshoppers on it either!

4 Likes

Potassium hydroxide! Is used more for liquid type soaps where as NAOH sodium hydroxide is meant for hard bar soaps but shouldn’t be use with plants KOH beaks down into a useable form of potassium!

4 Likes

I think the only things not deterred by mint are humans and cats! lol

The plants are so damn invasive though so I dare not plant anywhere but a container. Only downside.

5 Likes

@Meesh You might want to increase your air circulation/exchange. That’s usually what lets that stuff take hold.

@Tinytuttle Yes I use the peppermint to help as a repellent mainly for fungus gnats. I haven’t tried spearmint but read somewhere it doesn’t work as well as peppermint because the scent isn’t as strong.

5 Likes