Micro Grow Off Ideas!

Got a question for ya’ll, want to see what everyone thinks.

I have some 50w driverless cobs, 4 of them to be exact. I wanna know what color everyone wants to see used.

I have
Pure White - 6000-6500k
Natural White - 4000-4500k
Warm White - 3000-3500k
Full Spectrum - 380-840nm

I don’t care which one, I just wanna give everyone an opportunity to test these out with me lol. This will be my first run with these, there isn’t much information out there on using them for a grow, but with such a small box I figured “why not”

I’ve already got a heatsink drilled and tapped lol.

I had them mounted in a PC case once, but they generate too much heat to use passively

Also, They are very noisy RF wise lol. They do the “bar” effect to your camera if you get too close.

2 Likes

nice! there are driverless lamps on the commercial market now as well. i’d do pure white until flower then warm white :smiley: or one in each corner :grin:

That’d be total overkill lol

Update:

I chose the Natural White because in such a small box we don’t want stretching.

Without a fan on the heatsink it’s getting 100F (Only air moving in the room is a oscillating tower fan) I’m planning on mounting a 120mm fan over it attached to a 12v speed controller.

Now I gotta figure out ventilation and paint!

Edit:
Well, the exhaust will be this bad boy lol. 120mm fan, 90 degree angle! I’ma smooth it all out an paint it black inside, probably do some customizing on the outside :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This will be fine through veg then even better during flower.

1 Like

So jealous of your 3d printer… Looking good jelly

1 Like

Buy me a roll of plastic and i’ll print you whatever you want bro!

I’ll extend this offer to anyone in the continental US. If anyone wants or needs anything printed, just contact me via PM and i’ll do my best to accommodate your needs. I can only print in PLA right now.

For sanity purposes, I am going to impose a 8"x8"x8" limit on your sizes. My 120mm fan duct was just about as big as I was comfortable printing, as well as in the limits of my machines bridging capabilities lol.

I’ve got about 5 different colors that have less than 1/4 of the roll left, so I can do lots of small items, If anyone wants a bigger item I’d need them to get a roll of plastic. My software will tell me how much plastic i need in weight, so I can estimate if i’ll have enough or not.

4 Likes

Got a bit more work done on my cab. I cut a 4" exhaust hole at the top, a 4"x6" intake hole, and three 1" drain holes. I also made me a slim LED panel. I took one of my old blurple LEDs apart for the parts. I took the heat sinks and mounted them onto the aluminum face plate. Then I connected the hangers and mounted some Vero 13 (3500K) COBs to it. They are running at 350 mA for about 45 watts of power. Should be perfect for the size. Temperature tests were successful with no ventilation. The heat sink was warm, but no hotter than a T5 bulb. Once the exhaust fan is in there, I expect no issues. Next steps include filling holes, painting, sealing the bottom with plastic, and lining the inside with Reflectix.

5 Likes

Oh man that’s awesome… What’s the price of plastic and what type

@ReikoX its looking fantastic!!!

1 Like

I use PLA, 1.75mm and type doesn’t really matter much. I used to use a guy on eBay outta New York but he put his store on vacation and has never come back lol.

Edit: checked on prices, there’s hatchbox pla on eBay for 22.99 shipped, hatchbox is the best I’ve used, in my experience though, even the 15$ish rolls from eBay work fine. My printer isn’t that picky about filament like some are.

Eventually I’ll get around to installing my E3d v6 hotend and be able to print nylon and other higher temp materials.

3 Likes

That’s gonna be awesome looking! Shit it already is awesome looking.

I painted the first white coat inside of my cab this morning. About to go put the second coat as plywood soaks paint up like nobodies business!

2 Likes

Ill be installing my reflector and light into the cab tonight ill post pics when done.

and ive been wiring up my new bucket, and will be starting on the arduino or watering system stuff tonight

2 Likes

Can you make the chamber for A Volcano? They are $18 from mfr.

Man, those brownies are working. Its the unit on the right with the bubble wrap. It pushes the wings back out. After a point the plastic loses its elasticity and the bubble wrap provides the right cushion.

What kinda heat does it need to be able to withstand?

If someone has good 3D modeling experience and can produce a Stl I can probably print it. However that being said I just looked the piece up in question (as I have zero experience with volcano vaporizers, and if it has the kind of heat I think, the plastic I use won’t work.

1 Like

Isn’t the 18 duccats worth knowing that you’re not inhaling some fucked up shit?

2 Likes

Yes, it gets warm. There is a stainless steel chamber that screws into the interior which holds the herb and through which the heat passes. Looks complicated to design actually.

S & B has functional obsolescence down to the penny. My guess is by the time some such as yourself figured out the process and design, the $18 would look very reasonable.

Thanks for peeking.

1 Like

Got to ask to know the answer.

99%

The 18 looks reasonable to me regardless. Especially since those that bowl valve setup lasts forever

Pro tip. If you get that $18 bowl setup and the solid valve, you can get a really nice digital heat gun and have a way cheaper volcano vaporizer.

1 Like

I could melt the whole thing to the counter top.

Love to see the Temp Control on that baby. Need pics. LOL.