Micro Grow Off Ideas!

Correct, It’s currently still stuck in my head lol.

Thanks! I don’t know if the physics behind the way it works (perched water table an all) will be affected by the fact that i’m planning to build it even smaller, but I guess we are all gonna find out haha!

On my test run of my shed (400w hps) I had many many issues and managed to pull .35 gpw lol. You can do it!

3 Likes

I actually got pretty close on my very first grow. If I were to stick to a single method I might improve. But where is the fun in that? :joy: This time I’m trying a SIP planter. It will either kick ass, or fail miserably.

What are you all thinking of growing? Seeds, clones, tissue culture? :grin: I’m going to mainline a seed plant. Either Dinafem Blueberry or Fluer du Mal C99. Leaning toward the blueberry as it should be smaller. I have some extra Delicious Candy cuts in the cloner. I can’t decide, first world problems.

2 Likes

I’ve got some Cali Orange Durban from FDM(cuz I can’t ever remember how to spell it… it’s @Baudelaire’s company lol)

I’ll probably germ two seeds and see what happens!

Likewise as i’m always playing around. I’ve come close to that 1g/w mark but haven’t hit it yet, 0.96 on that last bucket run, and like 0.875 on that yield run in my pc case that seems so long ago.

I have always thought that “Grams per kWh” over the entire grow and including all equipment is a better measurement standard, compared to only light wattage in flower, as it’s a better reflection of the grow as a whole.

But saying that my goal is still 1Gram per kWh, and that bucket was close at 0.92.

As to what people are think of running, Autos for me but what strains i have no idea, i want to do a couple seed runs and F2 crosses but haven’t planned that out yet. Also want to pick up a pack of Crystal Candy from sweet seeds but haven’t bought them yet, will probably pick up some other strains from a few different breeders when i do though.

3 Likes

I used my Crystal Candy as my reversed pollen source last run. It was a nice plant dispite the abuse it took. I have some S1 of it too, should be fun to hunt through.

1 Like

Got my light traps painted, ready to install.

Where the light traps will go.

My ghetto power strip install lol.

Ignore the mess and shitty pic quality, I’m having to move things around just to make space to work.

I’m thinking about removing the “keyboard” tray and that is where my reservoir will be located for my “micro PPK” I think I’ll have a 5 gallon bucket as a reservoir as I don’t have time to mess with a lot of micromanagement.

1 Like

3 Likes

Looking awesome! I need to work on mine… Time is a tickin

1 Like

would bulbs like these work well? are these the type you use to take apart for your case @Mr.Sparkle? what do you use for a power source, and do you need the ballast from in the bulb? i found a 3 pack of 14w 1400 lumen bulbs 3000k for $16 or $17 … was going to grab them but wasn’t sure they were what i need

Dude, gram per kW hour is the only true measure of efficiency. I’ve attempted to convert the population in the past and didn’t change a thing. Lmao

@legalcanada you should be able to find the same bulbs for under two bucks a piece. I found aton of 4 packs of 10w at Walmart for $5 and the dollar store around here has 10w in warm white for a dollar a piece. Some are easier to pop the top than others.

1 Like

yes i did find some for around $2 each but they were only 800 lumens or 80 lm/w as opposed to 100 lm/w. so i guess only 25% more efficient for 2.5x the cost, but they are still fairly cheap and i’m kind of limited on space. i guess i could just put 20 of them all around but not sure how i’d wire them up

Nice, they should be higher lumens without the bulb cover too, but I’ve never seen a measurement of how much brighter.

1 Like

There are a lot of phone apps that function the the light meter, it would be easy to measure and verify any difference

@legalcanada Those bulbs should work, never tried them though.

The ones i dismantled are the 14w (1500 lumen) ones below, i also have used the 8w (800 lumen) versions that come in a 4 pack. Also i will state not all the bulbs i’ve tried are actually running at the listed wattage, most are actually a bit more efficient.

If you have a Home De-Pot near you they will have those 14w 1500 lumen ones and they usually have the best price for the higher wattage ones compared to your other big box stores such as Rona, Walmart, Canadian tire, or whatever. As far as i’m aware the others don’t have the philips branded ones, but they carry their own brands.

Now about those lesser 800 lumen bulbs sometimes the price difference between those and the 1500 lumens ones are such a difference that its still cheaper to go the smaller bulb route with extra sockets even if you have to run twice as many.

But seriously if you have a home depot near you they will have them.

Oh and go for the non-dimmable bulbs as we don’t need the extra circuity and cost that’s in the dimmable ones, we just need the plain basic bulbs, cheaper the better so long as their efficiency is relatively the same.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.100w-equivalent-soft-white-2700k-a19-led-light-bulb-2-pack.1001002646.html

1 Like

Phone meters are nowhere near accurate for measurement due to them not being correct in regards to Lambert’s_cosine_law if you want to get nerdy, but they can be used for a like to like comparison its just the values you get are not accurate.

1 Like

The value in a free app is you generate comparative results if when new and unmolested a bulb puts out a given value you can check to see if it comes close to advertised specs. Then when bulb is modified you can check for actual improvement. No need to dump on earned data for inaccuracies

2 Likes

im not im just saying that the phone meter is not an accurate device to check with, a cheap lux meter is better if doing testing, but have i used a phone for comparative results sure i have, but really it’s just a ball park thing like “A” registers brighter than “B” in the field of view that sensor is viewing but we really cant say by how much because its not anywhere near accurate.

Thats all, trust me im not dumping on any of that.

thank you for your response. i don’t want to use sockets i want to remove the chips and wire them up as you have them, so what do i need for a power source? and is the ballast at the bottom of the bulb near the socket?

1 Like

this previous post should help with that then, posted it on the weekend. You’ll need to mount them to heat sinks like i did, as for a power source its already there just have to wire the ballasts up to 120vac just make sure you cover any exposed contacts on the back of those ballast and wires, no need to get zapped or killed.

Just expand the posts below

Also i mounted mine to some cpu heatsinks i already hand and saw using, and then mounted them like such in my pc case

3 Likes

wow that’s pretty good, 1500 lumens and 2700k even, about $6.50 each. i ended up grabbing one bulb at dollarama today for $4, it was 1500 lumens but 5000k spectrum, only 10w bulb, just to experiment with taking it apart. plus i need to set up a separate area for my seedlings as i realized yesterday they are in my 12/12 tent (ya, i’m a dumbass lol).

i’m not sure what you mean hook up to 120vac - like i connect the wires to a regular AC plug to put in an outlet? would i need a separate outlet for each ballast or can i wire them all together some how? sorry if this is explained in that other thread, i did see those other posts but i’m not very knowledgeable with electrical.

1 Like