Micro Octopot Grow

Thanks for the tips. :smiley:

2 Likes

I have a mango smile running in a 2 gallon pot on the octopup right now. It’s the first time I went with a bigger size pot.
I though it would make the plant grow much larger. But the truth is… it’s the same. The plant is almost identical size as the last MS I grew in the 1/2 gallon pot.

Plus, I’m also running a Jack Herer auto using the older 1/2 gal pot and it is gigantic! Much bigger than the MS.

So, It seems that the pot size doesn’t really matter much. As long as they get a good amount of roots into the res, it’s gonna do good things.

MS left, JH right

15 Likes

Thanks for the comparison man. Both plants look killer. My first run with these is going great. Happy I jumped on these for sure. Also got some Mango Smile crosses that I made going outside and maybe one or two in another octopot. Love this thread!

2 Likes

awwww …I just bought 3gallon pots…was thinking the other way. oh well, i’m gonna run it anyway, who knows?

wanted to ask you. your wicking net pot, how for down does it dip? does it hit the bottom? you use hydroton.in it, did you notice a difference on the moisture level on the 0.5 and 2gal pot?

plants look great. really nice.

1 Like

The net pots I have only go about halfway down into the res.
And yeah, I’ve always done the hydroton in the tent pots.

There is maybe a little bit more moisture in bottom of the small pot. But the upper is all dry.
The slightly wetter bottom also may be because the JH is drinking unbelievable amounts of water.

3 Likes

Greetings OctoPodlers,

FYI, with the advice and consent of the @Mods I have consolidated my previous OctoPod Auto Filler notes into a separate thread located here:

They said it was OK to cross post which was cool because I didn’t want to break any bookmarks or links to my earlier posts here.

Please join the conversation in the new thread if you want to follow this auto filler topic.

Best regards,
-Grouchy

7 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan im following! You’ve got some great stuff happening in your workshop!

1 Like

Today, I had to chop this Sebring Undertow gal a bit early (she could’ve used 1 more week) but was showing signs of thrips damage.

So she got moved to another part of the house for chopping/trimming, and I did a full bleach-down of the tent and all the equipment from that tent.
I’m watching all the other plants very carefully now.

But, this plant is a monster. Densest buds I’ve grown. Each branch weighs a ton, and trichomes everywhere. On the fan leave, the stems and branches. Just crazy.
Can’t wait for her to dry so I can test this one.

Wish my clones of this gal had survived :cry:

16 Likes

First report of the @Sebring Undertow
(Barely dry enough, let alone cured. So not mentioning smells/terps at all)

Very frosty dense buds.
I had a bowl yesterday, and some today.
Initially, this feels very un-potent weed.

5 minutes after smoking, I’m like “meh…”
Weak, but it does feel nice and relaxing.

20 minutes later, it seems to come creeping up out of nowhere, and I go “oh! hello friend!”
Then the high becomes suuper nice. You’re more high than expected, and it’s a very chill, calm feeling but not couch-locked. This would be amazing breezy beach day, relaxed fishing trip weed.

I plan on getting this one lab tested with a couple other strains in a few weeks.
My guess is this is a very high 1:1 strain. More potent than other CBD 1:1 I’ve had.

I’ll guess and say it’s in the 8-10% thc:CBD range.

11 Likes

Any updates from anyone using these? I’m wondering if I should bother with these or just go with the real thing

1 Like

I use the real deal Octopots there the best well made and easy to deal with

You’ll love them

6 Likes

Yup that’s kinda what I figured. These look good but I feel like for a big plant the roots need more room

1 Like

I got one in these octopups to yeild 5 oz dried from clone to cut in 70ish days. Look above for the pic

3 Likes

And so the internal conflict will continue lol I’m just a naturally frugal person so it’s so hard for me to pass up on something like this. But I’ve also got into trouble by being cheap. You know the whole buy it nice or butly it twice thing…

3 Likes

Finished a run with these. They are nice units for the price. Fit it with the pot and net cup of your choosing. No regrets on the purchase from my end.

4 Likes

Six micro octopot system with an auto fill worked perfectly here from seedling transplant to harvest.

Total system cost, including the OctoPups was well under $100 including the bits and widgets for the auto filler.

Only complaint was a little boredom resulting from the lack of attention in the grow room. Mix nutes every few days and watch them grow. I enjoy fussing with my plants and there just wasn’t much to do…

-Grouchy

7 Likes

I love that auto fill sys

I may adapt that to my sys

Ty for sharing

Paps

2 Likes

I agree with @Papalag , if you’ve got the room… just use the originals.
I use the micro versions, just because my tents are 2x2 or 3x2 and not tall enough. But the micro versions are still amazing and can grow very good sized plants in a small pot
:+1:

3 Likes

I was going to do the same for my 2x2 tent should be able to get 4 in there the hight is only 57 inches so it’s not much higher than a 3 gal fabric bags
Paps

Ps I’d get the 3 gallon original ones but only 2 might fit

4 Likes

I am finding that depends on a few things…

first. This is a cutting of Frankenstein. In a micro octo pup.

She can fill that 3x3 tent if she wants to (I won’t let her). I have a couple GDP cuttings that are half her size in flower now. Both are about the same age, yet the GDP are half the size, with 3X the rootmass!!! Frankenstein just doesn’t have much in the reservoir despite her size. And she’s not suffering at all. I can only imagine how huge Frankenstein would be on a normal full sized octopot.

Also had a good discussion with @Papalag this weekend on roots / rooting on seed grown vs cuts with octopots / octopups. He’s had some interesting observations that seed grown tend to send more roots down, but if they are rootbound at transplant time, much less roots. My Frankenstein wasn’t rootbound at transplant so, some plants might need less reservoir, prefer more dirt / pot?

11 Likes