Midwest Growers Unite

First frost of this season is gonna be on Friday in central Illinois, how do you guys deal with it? Do you chop before the frost? Can it/will it survive the frost? Need input from outdoor growers…

1 Like

I let them ride and if I’m able I to, i’ll shake the moisture off around 9am We are full sun outdoor. Tbh I worry about the rain more then the low Temps.

2 Likes

I love seeing some of them really get colorful when the Temps drop. This is a key lime madness (can’t remember exact lineage but it’s a gmo bx cross)

7 Likes

Frost ain’t gonna hurt anything @PhilCuisine I’ve had plants go into mid November in Michigan, as long as root temps don’t drop below like 55°F you’re solid, chemical reactions inside of plant slow and then stop as you drop lower and lower below 65°F but around and above that temp you’re still photosynthesizing. I got the majority of my greenhouse gonna go at least 2-3 more weeks and it was 36° this morning in Michigan

4 Likes

I have my Kush in a pot and will be bringing that in the garage on Friday and I also have 2 plants but they are in the ground…my farmer buddies have 7-8ft. plants and they are outside…we all plan on chopping our plants on Nov. 1…

3 Likes

Can anyone tell me what outdoor typically goes for here in the Midwest?

I dont understand what you mean…

To start if this is against the rules I apologize…but what I was trying to say was does anyone knows what outdoor herb sells for here the Midwest , $ per pound? Reason I ask is, I was quoted recently and felt the cost was unjustified for outdoor herb and wanted to see what other people have seen it sell for.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know the answer to that question because I haven’t bought weed in over 25+yrs. One thing I do know is that buying it from your local dealer is a lot cheaper than buying it from the state dispensaries.

3 Likes

Temps are suppose go down to 26/30 degrees next week, do you think I should harvest?

2 Likes

To be honest I have no outdoor experience to speak of. That said a good freeze will draw out moisture, and also inhibit subsequent curing process I would think. Somebody further north than us would be a better judge of that. Good question though, given current weather I don’t see much additional finishing benefits. All the rain and cool temps would only invite botrytis issues going forward.

1 Like

I’m hearing 1300ish a lb here in metro Detroit, 100 an ounce and discount for bulk

1 Like

I guess that’d depend on you and how far along your plants are brother, I’ve been checking all of my trichomes every week, got a few I gotta chop but most are gonna need till end of October to my eyes, maybe they changed over the past week.

If you think yours are far enough along for you to be comfortable cutting them I’d cut them, it’s hard balancing between weight and letting them go, but you don’t wanna risk any of Michigan’s weather tearing them up cause then you’ve wasted all that growing. Just gotta use your best judgment in this wild ass state

2 Likes

They are asking for 1850 for outdoor here in Northern IL 🫠. They can keep it lol.

These pix were taken 4wks. ago…DK13 and Sour O’wreck.

6 Likes

Jenny Babe Kush, a homemade strain.

8 Likes

2 plants grown by a farmer/rancher was dropped off at my house last week…some farmers/ranchers don’t smoke they just love growing my homemade strains.

Vietnam Thunder Fuck

Jenny Babe Kush

10 Likes

I gots 6 different strains for 2023 outdoor growing season…

8 Likes

Any advice for first time outdoor grower in northern Illinois? I have auto flower, and photo seeds to work with and basic greenhouse.

Thank you,
Bagman

1 Like

In a greenhouse be on the lookout for pests. You tend to get a lot of the bad guys that come with outdoor but unfortunately not a lot of the good guys. Along with late season budrot because of the higher humidity but still chilly temperatures at night.

1 Like