Mini fridge build

I havnt been on over grow for years! I’m building a minifridge grow box and just figured it post a few pics of what I have so far.

I have two 120mm computer fans pushing through a diy carbon filter and another one for an intake. To veg I will be running one “100 watt” easy bright LED light and 2 6500k compact flourescents.

13 Likes

That’s an excellent idea that is like :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice, I have an old beer fridge I was thinking about doing that to.

2 Likes

I’ve often thought about a fridge build. The noise can be associated with a running fridge.
Are you going to be running the fridge to help with cooling?? I think if you could incorporate the cooling, you could have the system closed at times and really make using CO2 an easy thing.
Grabbing a seat and follow along.

Cheers Johnny

6 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I will not be using the cooling part, I found the fridge at the end of someone’s driveway and tore out all the working parts. With the ventilation holes I highly doubt it would do anything but rack up my power bill.

I’m already having my doubts about the computer fans I’m using, but the exhaust is doubke stacked so once I get my carbon into it I will have a better idea of airflow coming out. I’m hoping with 1 fan on intake and 2 for exhaust that it will be able to breath.

I’ve stripped everything out of the door down to the outer sheetmetal to give me more room and “hopefully” act as a bit of a heat sink to help lower temps.

4 Likes

I always wanted to do a fridge build. I did a filing cabinet grow. That thing served me well for years.

2 Likes

Sweet! When I was a dumb kid in my dads house a bunch of years ago I vegged one in a laundry hamper lol… it mysteriously went from perfectly healthy to completely dead in about 3 days. I didnt try again after that

3 Likes

Funny coincidence , you can actually take the condenser and grill out of the mini-fridge and make a 1 temp water chiller!!!

4 Likes

Just ran into my first big set back. Got my fan/carbon combo together and with the approx 3/4" layer of carbon pellets my CPU fans barely make my lighter flicker. Testing was done on my counter so not in a more flow controlled environment ( 3rd fan pushing into fridge). Looks like I will have to refigure. These fans were so quiet!

1 Like

Does anyone have experience with this combo? Seems to be the smallest step up from pc fans with reasonable reviews. Eliminates the stealth look of the box completely. But my main concern is scent being that I’m in a basement suite. I would prefer smaller/cheaper but so far cheaper is biting me in the ass ( CPU fans/activated carbon)

3 Likes

Fan/filter combo is ordered.

2 Likes

My buddy @Felzarn got a similar one and that thing actually moves quite a lot of air.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. Hopefully it isn’t overkill… as much as I wanted the stealth look, the only rules I had to go by was scent free for the neighbors and not in the way of the girlfriend lol.

1 Like

Your filing cabinet is dope…Such a cool little room.

@Grease Monkey … I fuggin love McGiver rooms…This should be a cool build to watch, super excited to watch…

Looking forward to seeing it in action, also.

Thanks for sharing it Mano…

K.

3 Likes

Hey I’m currently testing out some purple strains, could send you some beans to try if you want. Provided you are in Canada…

2 Likes

I will probably start a separate grow thread once I’ve got it up and running. Hopefully in a few days!

2 Likes

I am down to watch that grow… Thank you sir…

K.

1 Like

Little test run, the cfl and mini led will be getting swapped for better bulbs, but as it sits if the packages are correct I’m sitting over 6000 lumens plus a mystery wish led panel

6 Likes

Ditch the CFL and remove the plastic dome on that LED bulb, you will get much better efficiency that way.
:+1::seedling:

3 Likes

Both those bulbs are leaving, they’re in the 3200k range. You figure 2 leds with domes removed would still beat two 23 watt daylight cfls?

I do have a 2nd screw in big led like the other, but they claim approx 5000 lumens, I figured that may be too much in such a tiny space lol

1 Like