Mini fridge build

Forget about Lumens, just look at the wattage of the bulb. With those screw in LEDs (SIL) you should only need about 35-watts per square foot. My filing cabinet was only 86-watts.

Forget CFL, they are old technology. The SIL are not only more efficient, but also have a better light distribution. They also run cooler. I’m not really a fan of those purple lights. If it were me, I would run three 14-watt LEDs in any spectrum and ditch the purple light in the side.

You’re definitely going to need a speed controller for that fan, a 4" fan on full blast sounds like a jet engine. :airplane:

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice! The fan has a speed controller I’m just hoping it goes low enough

1 Like

Any down side to jumping to 60 watts, seems too good to be true

Nevermind. They are 60 equivalent. 8 sctual

2 Likes

Is this what you had in mind @ReikoX

3 Likes

Yes, that should do the trick!

3 Likes

Well the fan and filter arrived. The filter is a behemoth and throws new challenges into the plan. Im contemplating sticking the fan and filter straight out of the top of the fridge like a chimney, or a piece of ducting out tge top and mount the combo against the side of the fridge. Orrrr break all the rules, mount the filter in the bottom “emergency extra growth room area”, and have the fan mounted outside the fridge.

Atleast it seems fairly quiet with just the fan alone, the controller allows me to dial it down further than expected, so not a total shit show

2 Likes

4 Likes

Option 3, both in top

1 Like

Kind of the way I’m leaning. Big bastard filter lol figured it was going to be about 5 inches total width not 7! Atleast it wont smell

I like the first option myself. Seems like it would be the most quiet and I like to pull exhaust from the top.

How’s the sound on that fan? I have one the same brand but a metal case and it’s to loud for me. And if I turn it down it just hums louder.

Awesome build by the way. I’ve always thought about doing something like that and kicked myself for throwing my old mini fridge away

2 Likes

I’ve only used it on it’s own, on the counter and it wasnt horrible on the low end, it does hum a bit when turned down. I was considering putting a foam lined tote on top with holes in the back if it’s too loud.

On a side note I still have to put an intake on it. Somewhere

1 Like

Is there any reason insulation cant wrap around the fan body?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t see anything wrong with that.

1 Like

I just cut the globes off the bulbs…The camera wont show these lights in all their glory, but damn its bright in there

Light leaks

5 Likes

Lol holy fucking fan

1 Like

If it rattles try putting it ontop of a foam padding, like memory foam mats

I like option 1 as well.

1 Like

Ive always wanted to do a fridge build. Im super excited to see what comes of it :grin:

1 Like

I think I have the last of the pieces I need, I’m going with option 1 for fan location. I got lucky and found a 4" piece of dryer duct with an adapter on it tucked behind my furnace. And I grabbed some black 2 inch elbows for my intakes, going to go with 3 two inch intakes

1 Like