Mites,Thrips, Aphids 'one-n-done' with pics

Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, not at ease with acetone, but the concentration is low and that’s all I could find. Will keep on searching.

1 Like

OK, I am not one to typically jump up and down about stuff, even when I find that it works. If it works then I just slip it into the design of spaces and operations for others, or myself as needs change.

With that said, and as noted above, I have been battling super super-resistant spider mites. I used a few really nasty things in an effort to curb them, all in a rotation with other items including some that are specifically developed to intertwine with pesticides to reduce resistance.

I made some of the white oil using the instructions above but subbed in soybean oil. I applied via a full plant dip and waited for 4 days. I checked some infested leaves and while 95% of adults/juveniles were gone about 65% of eggs were left intact. I took clones, trimmed them, dipped them too, and moved them to a clean space where they stayed domed and were sprayed with the white oil every other day.

The original plants were already in very bad shape from being treated constantly. I was lucky to get clones off of SOME. However, those that are there now appear to be bug-free. I have sprayed them (tops, undersides, and soil surface) with approx 2oz/G.

I feel really good about ditching stuff now, adding white oil into my rotation, and moving forward with such a functional weapon in my arsenal. Thank you @JohnnyPotseed and even more so to your anonymous friend.

10 Likes

Good to hear ya got your mite problem under control there, cuz! Actually lol Cottonseed oil IS the ingredient listed in the first post. While Soybean or other oils might ‘do’ the cottonseed oil has a higher viscosity, allowing the mix to stick to the insects better. So, glad you changed back to the original! lol

1 Like

HA, I wrote it backward! I used soybean oil as I already had a huge jug and the density is nearly identical to cottonseed. Density is a much more specific measurement of a hydrocarbon than viscosity as it is based on specific gravity. Viscosity only refers to how it flows at a specific temperature.

Type of oil | Relative density
Soybean oil | 0.919 - 0.925
Cottonseed oil | 0.918 - 0.926

3 Likes

3 Likes

lol like I said, cuz. Most oils will ‘do the job’ The person who did all the research on this mix, tried many Cottonseed oil worked best. Anyway, lol I’m glad you tried the mix and it did what you needed!

1 Like

Jedi,
If you look closely at your (mite, thrip, aphid) eggs about 6 hrs post treatment you may note that they’ve turned an ‘orange’ color. They are normally a kinda clear yellowish or green. If they have that orange color they’ve been suffocated and will lyse within a day or two.
If they aren’t orange, your oil may not be doing you justice…

No criticism intended, I’d like to hear back from you if you remember those eggs being orange !?

4 Likes

That was how I had the % count. I put an infested leaf under the microscope and I would say that 65% were orange and I needed a 2nd application to nuke the rest.

4 Likes

Thanks !!
appreciate the feedback…we’ll all learn the limits with feedback !

5 Likes

Today i found two small black insects in a small budded clone i am trying to reveg. Looks like they died snacking. I lost the other one and this one is torn in half. This is the best pic i can get. It looks like a black thirp i think. Can someone confirm? Sorry ik this isnt the pest id thread ill delete if necessary

2 Likes

Looks more like a tiny wasp. Thrips’ legs aren’t that long compared to the body.

2 Likes

Perfectly ok to post that, cuz. As to what it is, however… there, I’m not much of an ‘expert’… sorry.

3 Likes

Are you referring to the first set i think they are antennas followed by a set of legs

1 Like

Lol im prayin it isnt thirps. My girl had 4 cacti outside for a few months then decides to sneak them into my area. I completely forgot about outside pests. Ive caught more fungus gnats then ever before now and i noticed these two tiny guys stuck and dead in a small tiny bud on a clone.

Yep. Also the thrips I’ve dealt with were only the width of 1 maybe 2 beard hairs.

1 Like

This thing is tiny bro im using a digital microscope

1 Like

“It” compared to a gnat

Can you flip it over? Nevermind.

I may stand corrected, hell of a scope dude!