MoBilly's greenroom (Back in the Saddle Again)

Not a bad place.

1 Like

I believe it. I think the workers are usually overworked and unhappy

1 Like

Hi @Hemp ! Yeah, it’s beautiful there. The old stomping area is just East of where Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia connect. Like I said, it’s beautiful. But it’s also a very poor area. There’s not a lot of work to be had.

7 Likes

I don’t know how close you are to south 77. Been past that area hundred’s of times @MoBilly, on 77 south on the way to greensboro N.Carolina. Been about 30 years now but good times running rust free cars back north and selling them. It was a good gig.

3 Likes

The old home place is about 35 miles West of Bluefield. If you know where Princeton is then you know where Bluefield is. :slight_smile:
77 runs right by them.

3 Likes

I remember signs that had Bluefield, it’s been a while since I’ve been down south. My last trip south was Tennessee on my bike with a friend and had a nice ride in the smokey mountains.

3 Likes

I know exactly where you’re talking about. Yea people are poor. But free. You have to do a lot on your own. Like raising your own food. You have to work on your cars.

3 Likes

We always had a family garden. When I was a little one I worked the garden with Granny until I could talk my Uncle into letting me join in with their work.

4 Likes

Many times haven’t I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. It was beautiful in the 50s-60s. After the newer highways went in, it was still pretty (and safer driving!) but somehow not as pretty, ya know?

5 Likes

Oh yes. I know.

2 Likes

lol I miss all the hairpin turns, and switchbacks

4 Likes

One thing about where I lived, on Bradshaw Mountain, you didn’t have to worry about something surprising you too much coming up the mountain in the Winter. You could usually see them rounding two or three turns ahead of you as they navigated all those turns. In the Summer it was different. I hated those coal trucks. Those drivers were being paid by the load so they flew up and down those hills. It made me nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs to drive back there. Then again I wasn’t raised to it, where I was totally used to it, because I spent so much time on military bases as well.

3 Likes

I know what you’re saying. I love the parkway.

2 Likes

That was one of the main roads my grampa and pop took in the 50s-60s, when transporting the Ganja up north, they’d load up some of us kids and women for ‘camouflage’ lol Needless to say, we went back n forth up north a LOT! The next fav road was Route 17 (coastal highway)

4 Likes

So true. It’s like we are kin. Lol I grew on those hills a few times. I got some fire not far from Roanoke.

3 Likes

Y’all were the “dangerous ones” I was told to keep clear of.
:rofl:

5 Likes

They were only ‘dangerous’ if they didn’t know someone that came around their Ganja fields! lol

Pure ‘SALT OF THE EARTH’ otherwise, though

2 Likes

It was better than not having some or trash smoke. Those people would shoot you.

2 Likes

I know you’re my kin now. So true. People don’t know. My father (not true blood) he was a ruff one. He believed in the hustle.

2 Likes

Yeah, even I knew it was funny having my family warn me about “dangerous folks” when we were a bunch of moonshiners! I learned how to dispose of a body before I knew why they would need to know that.
:rofl:

2 Likes