MOTR grows with OniTenshu

I finally have some pictures from before I left earlier.

Penny

Babs

Bugs

TBD

Auto

4 Likes

I can start watering in a little bit. Training the big girls too. I have 4 hours left to work in the tent before I have to leave for the night. Still waking up, so details are minimal as I can’t notice anything different until my eyes stop being blurry. Taking pictures itself was difficult as I couldn’t see my screen.

Penny

Babs

Auto

Bugs

TBD male name

2 Likes

All have been given water in the tent. When should I apply neem if at all? I’ve kept it cold in the house and the population went down significantly after they found a tastier spot to bug. I’m not 100% sure if any adults are alive anymore.

On a much more positive note penny loved what I did. She had a couple leaves too close to soil level and rather than her waste her energy I pinched them off and after watering she had a leaf that sprung right up. It was caught in a clover trap and wanted to be free I guess. Speaking of penny how much more stretch do you think she’ll get?

2 Likes

I have some pictures of the plants post watering now. I noticed the Lucky’s always look like 32oz might be a little too much water. This could be normal, but it’s consistent enough to concern me that I’m still somehow overwatering.

The males I rotated as that corner was shading Bugs too much. After today I noticed growth is starting to resume again and the leaves look less drooped on the nameless one. I replaced the water for them yesterday. I’ll get them something in the cup soon once I can find something that won’t leech into the water or blow away with the wind.

The purple basil has finally started growing in the garlic and cilantro pot.

I raised the auto and moved the plants around the tent to fit the crate also.

Penny

Babs

Bugs

Nameless one

New rotation

Purple Basil

Auto

Group

4 Likes

They all look extremely happy now. Temporary droop I guess. I can’t upload pictures RN. On data heading off to work. In about 6-7 hours I’ll finish my update

3 Likes

You can spray them tomorrow to be on the safe side though it’ll be the last opportunity unless you want to bud wash at harvest…your call. The dose is 1/2 tsp neem oil, 1/4 tsp dish soap to 2c water

Nice! Your getting it :stuck_out_tongue:

Hard to say as they still have ~4-5 days of growth though should be slowing down…maybe an inch? What I do know is, we both have 1 short and 1 tall pheno though even the short one is still taller than the Lucky Charms

The leaf ballooning that your seeing is often misinterpreted as over watering though its more that the roots suddenly have more pressure to shoot up the water/ nutrients up the plant after the “dry” period and is temporary. Its when the ballooning lasts longer than 8-12 hrs that we run into issues as the plant(s) won’t or can’t compensate… your running cooler so 24oz may be the sweet spot for your girls whereas mine are consistently running 78-83F day and 65-70f night so 32oz is perfect for my girls - try it and see how they respond. Worse case is they’ll droop a day or 2 earlier than their “normal” and we’ll have to supplement til next full watering day like we did when they were seedlings :wink:

4 Likes

They perked up after a hour or so. They don’t even look the same as that picture before after they drank up. These pictures are from 7.5 hours ago now. I took them right before my last update, but I didn’t have time to upload any before I left for work😅

Penny

Babs

Bugs

Nameless one

Auto

Group & overhead shots

6 Likes

Umbrella, inc. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

At this point I’d reserve that name for the cutting. If I didn’t know better I’d say it’s a zombie plant LoL :joy:

4 Likes

I have some proper color pics of the Lucky’s after foliar feeding.

4 Likes

Last pics for the weekend most likely. I’ll be heading out after work and I’ll be back Sunday if not Monday.

The males are both turning purple now. It might be that spot on particular that makes them purple. The nameless one didn’t turn a shade of purple until they were in that spot. Growth has resumed properly and leaves are growing although slowly.

Penny

Babs

Bugs

Nameless one

Auto

Group and overhead shots

5 Likes

Awesome to see happy, happy girls - Great job!! I’ll post my update on Sunday to get back on track of bi-weekly updates

3 Likes

I stopped by the house before work. No time to add details. I changed the makes water. That’s all I could do. Mosquito bits for a medium as a test. Let’s see😅

Penny

Babs

Bugs

Nameless one

Auto

Overhead and group

4 Likes

Sorry to interrupt but this is something I would like to understand better. I see many people starting with enormous pots, have checked the FAQ but only has a generic size recommendation. You suggest that having less bigger pots make the roots concentrate which means better feeding? Thanks for your help … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yes she is. Transplanting can do a lot.

7 Likes

Everything looks so green and healthy…:+1:

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

It’s watering day today. I have to work in a hour, so unless I do it now I’ll have to wait until about 24 hours from now unless I go in at night.

Pics are from before watering. Doing that now.

The males are fine as is and will drink up more today. Now they have some air between the water and the roots.

The cutting is still firmly rooted, but growth is a crawl. At best some stems got longer on the leaves it has.

4 Likes

Early root training with gentle restriction has their root ball form in the 1" pot rather than the 3" pot (or solo cup many use) so the roots fill the 3" pot more efficiently as they branch of earlier…this is a project I am working on to show the differences…

The one on the left had its tap root hit a barrier (1" pot) so to try to get around the barrier, it sent out water roots and forming feeder roots earlier than the one on the right with no restriction

When the one on the left gets repotted without the 1" pot here in a few days, the roots will branch out from here (the root ball) rather than taking their time to fill the whole 3" pot. I don’t have any pictures of the cross section of a root restricted plant yet though here is one that was started in a 3" pot

In the 1st pic you can see how the roots grew out like an upside down umbrella to the outer edge then grew down and around to make the larger root ball though in the 2nd pic you can see there are very few roots that actually filled in the middle

Most plants you want to have their roots branch out sooner rather than later with a bigger root ball as those 1st initial roots help to anchor the plant though with Cannabis the secondary roots are strong enough to serve this purpose with less staking in flower as they have more turgor …like any training method that has the potential to stunt them this adds extra time to the grow so its no wonder that many haven’t been taught this or maybe some have though didn’t see the purpose having to transplant so soon after sprout though I do see some of this from those that choose to start their seeds in a jiffy pellet or root riot thingy’s. Either way, imho, its an important part of growing a stronger plant in the long run …silica additives can only do so much :wink:

Now you do not want to keep this initial restriction for longer than 10 days (5 days in 1/2" pots) unless you plan on overcrowding them like we did with the Lucky’s to fit 4 in a 3 gallon pot through sexing nor do you want to up-pot them more than 3 times in a 10 wk veg as they branch out from 2 root ball layers

Hope this helps to answer your questions about root building

@OniTenshu they are looking wonderfully happy and healthy…the boys are still chugging along much better than expected though shows how tough they are especially that cutting that is taking “forever” :wink:

6 Likes

Alright, time to get back on track with my updates…

7’s - The shorter one needed to be closer to the light so instead of continuing to compensate for the taller one, I snapped her branches to shorten her…

Shorter one

Taller one before “snap and flop” (supercrop)

Their clones

Charms

Their clones

Da boys…7’s on left and Charms on right

Last but not least the flowering girls back to their original position

Homework this week:

Sunday (today): Plain Water Drench at 4c (32oz)
Thursday: Bloom drench at 1 tsp per 4cups
Friday: Remove small bud that are smaller than a pencil eraser like these

Sunday: Bloom drench again at 1 tsp per 4cups

10 Likes

Thanks @MomOnTheRun and @OniTenshu for your time and extensive explanations, if I knew how to do it I would incorporate them to the FAQ. This is valuable information that comes from experience and observation, my plants will appreciate it as I do, thanks for sharing … :sunglasses:

6 Likes