Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

do you guys/gals feel its easier on your stomach (nausea, stomachache, etc) to brew Psilocybe cubensis as a tea rather than eating it (whether its raw/dried or in a chocolate etc)?

4 Likes

I’ve never had dried shrooms before but we always preferred tea with a dark colored Gatorade powder mixed in to kill the taste. Always got sick when we did pick, flick n eat.

5 Likes

Back when I lived in FL, we would go to a friend’s parents’ cow farm and pick like two garbage bags-worth of mushrooms and then boil all of it down into like a gallon of water, just keep mashing and straining and mashing and straining and then mix in some Kool Aid for flavor (didn’t really help haha). One shot glass was plenty after that process. I would get sick every single time, just a quick and easy puke, wasn’t any big deal; it just meant I was about to trip balls. Coulda been the sheer strength of the tea or it coulda been the Kool Aid that was making me sick haha, I dunno.

The dried shrooms I’ve been eating the last year or so make me gag, but that’s just because of the flavor and texture. They don’t upset my stomach once they’re actually in my stomach haha. I’ve thought about making a tea instead of chewing them, though, just because I reeeeealllyyyy don’t like eating gnarly, dirty-tasting styrofoam. I’ve actually just been swallowing them whole lately haha.

A friend of mine says she loves the way they taste every time she trips with us, but she’s been vegan for years, so… She’s obviously forgotten what good food actually tastes like haha!

8 Likes

I have bin doing a lot more reading sometimes i think it helps and other times it just make me ??? stuff even more so this morning i was reading that insted of starting on agar peri dish i could use cardboard soaked in beer that has bin brought to a boil wanted to see if anyone on here has tryed it and if so once i got some mycelium growing could i take a chunk of it and make a LC thanks for all the help in advance

2 Likes

Personal opinion here: do not do prf cakes, they take too long to become spawn. They don’t break up as easily, can contam in the longer period. Also, also use at least a Still Air Box to inoculate. If using jars, buy self sealing inject ports and put .2 mc filter patches on the lids ( they are cheap on Amazon). For beginners trying to do bulk substrate, I recommend popcorn Tek. It is mostly sanitary already and can be prepared without a PC if need be. It is one of the fastest and safest way to make spawn, and breaks up easily. Just me 2cents

4 Likes

Got a couple bags of uncle Ben’s starting to grow mycelium.

12 Likes

Birthed 4 jars of Mazatapec to 2 shoeboxes and 3 jars of B+ to 1 shoebox this morning. They are all now in fruiting conditions in my grow tent (good timing on me finishing up my harvest of plants a few days ago).

5 Likes

Interesting. I had never heard of the popcorn tek. Been using BRF tek since I started. I’ll have to give this a try on my next go. Seems a little easier.

2 Likes

Yeah man good job on the shoeboxes, they are so easy. Yes the only bad thing about popcorn is that there are less inoculation points because the kernels are larger, but one benefit is that you can shake your jars when they are 30-50 percent ready which spreads the mycelium around which speeds it up considerably.

3 Likes

Do these look normal/ok?

10 Likes

What size are those shoeboxes @Randar ?
They look good to me

5 Likes

Yeah man they look good. They can probably be started fruiting if you haven’t yet

2 Likes

I really REALLY enjoyed the Mazatapec I grew :100: :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

so after my first two attempts failed pretty badly, only a small number of shrooms actually made it.
This time I thought I would get the kit and give it another blast - with the poor showing of liberty capos this year this is my last chance to get some of microdosing capsules full

I shall inject the two boxes later today with Golden Teachers then sitting thm in their heated box at 25deg and will leave them in the dark for at least a week before a take a look.

Oh and I thought I should add, this thread rocks and has been ever so useful

8 Likes

i ust ordered some Hawaiian spores. Last time i grew these i had an out of body experience on the dance floor at a local show, while the local Dead cover band was playing Uncle John’s Band /twas much fun

that being said, I grew very tired of contaminated jars, etc and switched to inoculating sealed bags of pasteurized rye berries then crumbling the mycelium into a bag of pasteurize horse manure and straw. you can get these bags online and they make life so much easier.

5 Likes

Golden Teacher, hopefully I see pins soon. spawned to coco coir on 11/24.

Its spreading very fast!

11 Likes

I started using Northspore Grain bags and Boomer bags. I don’t want to jinx myself, but I just might pull these John Allen’s off. :mushroom:

4 Likes

So those uncle bens, you just cook them and let them cool completely off and inject them.? What’s the process to use those @Illicitmango :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

I just learned about the Uncle Ben Tek a few days ago from a dude on IG. I can’t wait to try it!

4 Likes

I just messaged you what I read on using Uncle Bens.

4 Likes