Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

No cooking or anything. Just wipe with 70%alcohol and inject spores. Cut top corner and put micropore tape over the top for gas exchange. Look up “pop shrooms” on YouTube. Or 90 second mycology on Yt.
Its known as uncle Ben’s tek or broke boi tek lol.
Super simple. I was only doing these because I didn’t have a pressure cooker but I managed to pick one up within the past couple weeks so I’ll be moving on to jars and pressure cooking grains and stuff.

But just getting into it it was super simple.
Just gotta get the whole grain brown rice kind.
After a few weeks… the bags colonize.
Get a few extra through, because you’ll inevitably lose a few especially with spores.

13 Likes

Make sure its a canner not a cooker. Most cookers don’t get to the PSI needed to sterilize safely. If it’s a canner, disregard. lol. And I love UB tek. It’s how I started and still go back to it if I just want a quick and easy grow done.

5 Likes

It’s a pressure canner. I use the word cooker instead of canner, it’s a habit lol. but yeah, it gets up to 15psi. Has a trivet as well. It’s a presto 16qt

2 Likes

Correct, just gives very little room for error, everything I’ve ever read says you want 15psi, and pressure cookers scare me. lol. I know they can go a bit higher than 15psi, the dummy overage so people aren’t blowing up their kitchen…I’m just worried I might have one of those dummy moments. So when I was getting all my equipment a few years ago I made sure to get a canner.

2 Likes

I have had luck with everything BUT uncle Ben’s. No matter what there were contams. Did it 10 different ways even to get it to work, no luck. I wanted it to because it is already prepared with little to no prep. Going back to popcorn tek I never lose now though

2 Likes

This bad boy lol.
Got it used from some lady selling it for 15 or 20 bucks. She said she only used it once or twice. The rubber gasket was still brand new. Same exact model at Walmart near me sells it for 90 bucks Got it home n tested it… held 15 psi no problem :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I need to get agar and plates. But nowhere near me sells agar I’m seeing. And don’t feel like ordering it off amazon lol.

2 Likes

That is the brown rice version right, not the basmaty/jasmine whatever white one…?

3 Likes

Health food stores or chef stores should have it, it is widely used in vegan cooking etc…

I have one like this, but never used it, could it work?

Also got some spores from EU supplier GlĂźckspilze, but never really got into trying, always too busy with everything (actually scared to use that pressure cooker, :crazy_face: :flushed:)

5 Likes

the only times I’ve had issues with UB is I had one syringe that was just a mess of contam. couldn’t even get mycelium on agar or when I’ve put too much in. I put around 0.5ml in the bag. Some say put 1ml in and I think that’s too much. Only need a very little bit.

3 Likes

if you go over to r/sporetraders on reddit there are a lot of vendors who sell prepoured plates for a fairly reasonable price.

3 Likes

You can use pftek substrate as agar substitute-Even whole BRF
Just a small layer on the bottom of either a low rim glass jar or pp5 container (hole in lid covered with micropore tape and PCed)

3 Likes

Yeah I tried that. I used a SAB, flame sterilized the syringe, Lysol, oust, rubbing alcohol, used micro pore tape, used injection ports and self adhesive patches, I pushed the rice to the bottom, I didn’t push the rice down, etc… Whenever I switched to ANY other method they worked under those conditions though.

3 Likes

So my two Mazatapec shoeboxes are pinning and growing. No pinning yet on my B+ shoebox. Should be a semi-decent haul.

3 Likes

@Randar did you get a picture of them pinning?
Congrats on the pinning also, looks like you’ll be having some mushies to watch in the near future!

Its crazy how fast they start to take off!
I’d love to see a picture, if you’re willing to share it. I have golden teachers that will be pinning here shortly.
I take pics every day of the substrate so I can compare each previous days growth/spread :slight_smile:

@msm187 thanks for the reddit tip! Very much appreciated friend. I rarely ever used reddit lol.

3 Likes

My 32QT monotube with petpioneer fogger. 5CC John Allen spores in a 3LB Northspore grain bag split into two tubs with 1.25 LBS of Northspore boomer bag dung substrate in each. 5 days from popping tops and begin fruiting.

11 Likes

I love the look of that setup!

3 Likes

Easy to make, 32 qt tote at Walmart and 4 filter discs, drill the 2-inch holes sides high and front and back low. 1-inch hole for the fogger hose. The same blue-handled smaller tubs with lids. 2 fit perfectly inside. Pop the tops when time to fruit. I use tin foil instead of plastic bags. Hold humidity well. I usually run the fogger lowest setting for 2 mins every hour. If it’s warm every 30 mins. I took tips from this youtube guy.

5 Likes

I appreciate the video @ColeLennon . I plan on making a chamber that holds multiple tubs, just havent gotten around to it yet. How long have you been growing shroomies?

3 Likes

A couple years, not very successfully though. I don’t want to jinx these. These might be my best flush yet. :peace_symbol:

3 Likes