Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Yeah, I have looked them up. They are more difficult than others. They “like it wet”. Think we will get along. :rofl: Using these for this jar. I went in knowing that they provide very few spores at maturity, and you need a ton to collect any. So, I thought maybe make hay while the sun is shining. :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :peace_symbol:

4 Likes

Not entirely true. True they don’t drop spores but they create about same amount. This is where swabs come into play. When the veil breaks you take a sterilized cotton swab and gently rub and spin it along the folds where the spores are then seal. You can buy swabs on Amazon get 1000 for $15 or something like that presterlized most will open package just enough to slip tip out swab them reseal. You can take 20+ swabs from a cap. This is also now where you need agar and to know how tho clean up your agar dishes. I have a Tek to sterilize your own swabs if you like. You can swab any mushroom that makes spores.

8 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I will most likely at some point refer to you. I grow so few and only during the winter months. I would mainly want to do it, just to know how. Thank you. :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

So you can tell these are clean jars. Date is 10-30-2022 and no green but kicking out shroomies still.

Any questions ask away just tag or dm me! Will always help. :+1::+1:

10 Likes

So many question about everything…
I’m just gonna go back and re-read everything again when I’m ready to pull the trigger on this desirable new hobby.
Then I’ll bombard y’all with a massive amount of questions. You’ve been warned! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Is that black mold the second pic down. Or a black mark

1 Like

Shoebox is progressing :slight_smile:

9 Likes

It’s a mushroom that is starting cap flipped and smashed against the glass. I have 2 qt jars of whole oats I sterilized 10 days ago but 2 have stuff growing. Oops least I found out before I added any more valuable materials. @Illicitmango box is coming along nicely. Looks a little dry just a little also needs a little more fresh air that can cause the mycelium to reach off the substrate towards to top. Don’t get freaked out but the slightly puffy like cotton I think is bacterial but you will still pull awesome flush(s). It’s not trich that’s the jar/tub killer but lots of bacterial contamed will fruit quite well the second and third won’t be as big and possible contam out faster. It’s something new learned and it won’t stop your tub from growing you many beautiful mushies.

7 Likes

Where is it looking bacterial? Just curious, it had the lid on since spawned until this morning.

2 Likes

Here’s a closer picture.
And clones on agar

7 Likes

Ok don’t freak out like I said. In the corners it looks white and fluffy maybe I’m seeing wrong through phone pic. It’ll still grow fine no worries. Those agar dishes need to get cleaned up by transfers. Only helps to transfer clean mycelium.
Top fish looks like a clone of mushroom. I would transfer between 6o clock and 7 o clock. Take a small wedge from the leading edge. It’s the newest so the cleanest.
The one on the left between 4 and 5.5 is a good trans point and between 2-3 on a clock best looking transfers to get clean cultures. The one on the right ok cool it looks all crazy like that doesn’t mean bad. There is rhysmoric and tomentose growth the first is pretty second not so much but is still good. Ok directly at 3 on a clock is great and then between 1-2 on a clock. I’d would do at least 3 transfers per dish that way if one goes bad you have more as well it will help noc up jars or lc with agar that is clean. The more clean agar the more jars can get a wedge. Also I would lightly mist your surface.

4 Likes

Yea the pictures make the mycelium in the shoebox look fluffier than it is, it has lots of tiny droplets all over it as I just misted before the picture. Also, the blue masking tape is about ¼ inch above the substrate, so the corners look like the mycelium is really puffy, but its just the illusion of the clear tub/white wall directly behind. The tape was only to cover holes I had drilled in the shoebox previously.

The agar… I did transfers from the bottom left plate, from the 6 to 7 o’clock area.

3 Likes

Do a couple of each and always the leading edge is the newest so possibly cleanest growth. I can’t see the droplets and I’m glad it’s just the phone pic. Looking good.

4 Likes

Coming along!

12 Likes

They are Beautiful @Bobgrows

3 Likes

Thank you! My first!
My birthday is this weekend! What a gift!

7 Likes

Tidal wave 4 taking over the substrate :grin:

8 Likes

Nice blue meanies. Yaaaaa you are fruiting your own meds…look at all those pins. :100: :mushroom: :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

4 Likes

I know… right!? I’m so excited a big thank you to @ColeLennon and @420noob for all the support and answering all my questions! I’m just giddy! :mushroom::pray::heart:

4 Likes

Speaking of Giddy lol. Creeper tubs day 10 fruiting first pins this morning. :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :mushroom:

8 Likes