Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

Ya so not to dishearten you at all but jumping to spawning to bulk can be a disaster. If starting out I recommend(I still use only shoeboxes) shoeboxes will help eliminate total loss do to contamination. Each SB is a little grow so if one contams you donā€™t lose your whole grow. If going from straight spore syringe your are looking at 2 months to fruit. Pf Tek is my recommended beginner method because itā€™s more forgiving making it easier to watch and see how they grow. Also pf Tek is multiple ā€œmini growsā€ so if contams just lose one cake. Also pf Tek is easily moved to bulk just by breaking up the cakes. A great info resource is shroomery.org.

7 Likes

Anyone who is doing Ben tek, I highly recommend watching this video, attention to the details.

Also, if you have any silicone that cures soft laying around, put a glop of it on the rice bag ahead of time and allow to dry, diy injection port. I would make them a bit thicker than I did here

If you read through the shroomery, it seems like a classic move to have youā€™re tubs fruiting on you while youā€™re out of town.

9 Likes

Found some old pics, thought Iā€™d share. Donā€™t see many pics of cubes here.

One of my early PF Teks, ~2014. First pic are cakes I thought were done, but that one gave like a 3rd round, such a small cake. Wild.

10 Likes

Nice. Good timing on the pull.

4 Likes

My little horror show continues. The last set got infested with gnats if some sort, but I have 20 of them this time. 5 each dedicated to 4 different strains.

Peach, High5, and Beast from Appalachian Gold, then the culture sold as ā€œAsian commercial strainā€. In the jars of rice medium grows, the Asian strain is the one that started pinning a bit sooner than the other cultures. Looks like I forgot to get updated pics of those jars.

6 Likes

Sealed up my first two prints this morning and harvested the rest of the first flushes. So, without accounting for the shrooms currently in the dehydrator, I have just over 42 grams of dried all jarred up. The second flushes will easily push me above and beyond my current dried yield record of 59 grams.

4 Likes

Wow.
Iā€™m thinking I need to try thisā€¦

3 Likes

Yes. Yes you do.

5 Likes

Let us know we have a few sources to lead you. That will get you started. Iā€™d plan on minium 2 weeks of reading and learning before jumping in at least thatā€™s how Iā€™d do it again

5 Likes

How many spore prints per grow do yā€™all typically take?

This grow, as Iā€™ve previously posted, I took two from the first flush. It was so darn easy that Iā€™m thinking of grabbing a few more on the subsequent flushes.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s all up to you, itā€™s like keeping seeds in storage or for gifting/trading.

5 Likes

Personally Iā€™d take 10 per variety. That way Ill have more than enough to hold the strain and be able to gift them out or trade as well. Note I started on shroomery.org and after 90 days you can go to marketplace where people giveaway and swap spores and swabs. So I wanted to be able to give back and be able to help out beginners save some $$ and hopefully that will help them learn how to do more with prints. Totally personal preference remember they donā€™t take much space (yet lmao). Losing genetics sucks. Glad you are doing well! Your are at the point where it teters in the line of hobby/obsession.:rofl:

7 Likes

Happy Fungi Fatherā€™s Day. Iā€™m micro dosing Creeper blue honey in Yogi Blackberry spice tea. :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

8 Likes

I love this boardā¤ļø

Funny, as Iā€™ve been busier than a
2-peckered rooster in a hen house for the past couple months and havenā€™t really followed this little chat board for some timeā€¦Now I come back, and spent the better part of an hour catching up on the conversations hereā€¦

Iā€™ve definitely gone down the rabbit hole with enthusiasm, but admittedly. A total noob! Chuckle.

@420noob fortunately, is not and set me with a bunch of solid infoā€¦

Iā€™m still at it, Charlie Brown style, had one Shroomy from a BRF cake, but am slowly giving it another goā€¦Fun stuff.

Just curious on opinions as to best strain to focus on in term of potency, vigor and easeā€¦I wouldnt mind focusing on One strainā€¦Currently I have the Golden Teacher on the goā€¦

Any thoughts on what strain is likely my best option?

Thanks

5 Likes

Golden teacher and John allens are easy cubes that grow well and fast. Penis envy are stronger but more involved to grow. Then the really good ones arenā€™t cubes and those are harder and more involved yet. So imo you are on the right track. If you got one shroom to grow at least you have the right idea. One is a start and is going right way. Brf cakes you can harvest multiple times so if only one grows you can keep conditions right can get more flushes.

8 Likes

well that was a day - just coming down from a decent GT trip - went for 6g which was about right for me, surprisingly visual but ultimately cleared my head - nicely nicely

8 Likes

The GT is fine. If you got one cap from before tek, I would keep using that method until you get it dialed in. I started with PFTek and still use it occasionally because it works fine for a handful of personal doses. Once you better perfect the fruiting of a BRF cake, then you can move to a bulk substrate Tek. If you have access to a good sterile spore or TC syringe, after you start having better results, I would then try moving up to inoculating a Rye or Popcorn Tek and spawning to bulk from there.
When you get your wings, go for the gold: Penis envy has the best potency of all cubes, and is much much much easier to grow than the best of the best (IMO) the Azures

13 Likes

The saying goes, a cube is a cube, other than PE. That saying goes generally for potency and growing. From spores itā€™s all a crap shoot for potency of each individual mushroom, but some cultures can be a bit stronger than others, but generally PE is stronger. PE was one of the only ones that needed any special attention to growing and fruiting conditions, others all grow the same way. Thereā€™s other mutations out there now that grow very slowly, but its grow as blobs or weird structures, but generally considered more potent than PE even. But those are particular clone only types like enigma, no spores at all so only passed around as live cultures on agar or LC. Course as of late, isolating and breeding for different looks is getting popular, not sure what that does to potency or ease of growth.

5 Likes

I still use brf for clone hunting! Small controlled grow works great.

4 Likes

I agreeā€¦ Especially when isolating from spores, I find it is easier for me to grow some caps on BRF and then make TC syringes from a few of the the best fruitsā€¦ run those and then maintain the fruiting culture with the best potency. It is much easier and faster than isolating sectors in agar and then growing/testing

3 Likes