Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

@420noob

Thanks for sharingā€¦

Iā€™ll do thatā€¦

Iā€™m amazed at how quickly the first flush is goingā€¦only partially colonized as per the photos, but happy none the less as Iā€™ve learned a bit for next time.

I will likely finish harvesting the first flush in the next couple days, then will dunk in filtered water for 3-4 hours, then see how flush 2 goesā€¦

Cheers

4 Likes

Just wondering how people rehydrate their substrate for a second flush?

I was thinking to filter some waterā€¦microwave it to a boilā€¦let it coolā€¦then dump the water in the bottom of the tub and let it rehydrate in the tub for a few hours (then dump excess water that has not been absorbed) rather than remove the substrate rehydrate and then put it back to the tubā€¦seems logical to meā€¦Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks

3 Likes

I usually just dump a cold bottle of water on the edge so it runs under the block. I let it rehydrate for a couple hours and then I pour it off. Everytime I would try to remove the whole block it would just crack and fall apart.

5 Likes

Thanks Rustyā€¦

Thatā€™s pretty much what I thought tooā€¦

Cheers

3 Likes

A plain water soak works, I add 7ml/gallon of peroxide to my water and soak in the fridge overnight to provide a cold shock

5 Likes

Crapā€¦Is there a reason for the cold water?..

I microwaved mine, let it cool to room temp the soaked.

Cheers

@RustyChem @herojuana.tom

2 Likes

Its all good, a cold shock makes fruits appear quicker but both ways are equally validā€¦ a soak is a soak

6 Likes

Cold shock them

4 Likes

I just use any bottled/de chlorinated water. Donā€™t need to boil it, just needs to be clean.

4 Likes

Anyone have extra spores? LC preferred.
I have seeds for trade!
I think My plate is contaminated!

4 Likes

I got a John Allen prints I can send.
Also @MrToast I thought of this this morning. You substrate seems like it had more than enough moisture for second flush but bottled water is fine. Some swear by cold shock it does seem to make pin faster a little. I have found that I usually donā€™t have to rehydrate my substrate after first flush or if I do very little. I tell by weight if the tub feels heavy plenty of moisture if itā€™s light then rehydrate. Just fyi your substrate shrinking isnā€™t from moisture loss itā€™s from mushies eating up substrate nutes.

8 Likes

You in the US? Iā€™m going to make some fresh LC very soon, but nothing to share right now. I did get a clean culture from cube culture usa if you want to give them a try. Iā€™ve ordered plates from mycocat before, looks like he has LC now too https://www.mycocatgenetix.com/

4 Likes

Thanks again @420noob ā€¦

I appreciate the insights!

That said, @Cannaology I have some fresh Golden Teacher spore prints if you have interestā€¦Not sure how they compare with the John Allenā€™sā€¦Iā€™m a Nube in the fungus departmentā€¦chuckle.

Will send for freeā€¦no need to send beansā€¦just pay it forward to someone at some pointā€¦:+1:

In box me with your address if you want

2 Likes

I keep waiting for someone to post ā€œshroom HPVā€ to scare all you guys off from sharing spores. Yes, sarcasm.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what agar is for :+1: :wink:.

2 Likes

Its in agar too its airborne. :grimacing: shroom hpv. Ok enough facetiousness
SO NOT TRUE.

2 Likes

Lol make that point misinformation seems to be the currency of the day almost.

5 Likes

hey Mr Toast - hope you are doing well!
I tried it recently for the first time, it was with Oyster mushroom blocks, but I assume the theory is the same - I took three dry blocks out of their plastic bag and put them in a bucket and filled it with cold tap water - left it in the bucket over night with the lid on and a plate inside to weigh down the blocks (they float better than ships).
The next day, I put them in new bags, let them sit in incubation for a few days then cut the bag and put them back to fruiting - 2 of the 3 bags looks like they have been bought back to life

it is worth a go

3 Likes

I have some Golden Teachers and some Cambodian spore prints - but I am on the other side of the pond in the UK so could take a while to arrive - let me know

they are the very first prints I ever took - not saying a lot as I a complete fungi noob

5 Likes

Hey Zaabootā€¦

Thanks.

I tried the submersion technique wit a plate on it for some BRF cakes that didnt work outā€¦
Weā€™ll see how things go with the substrate I submergedā€¦Hopefully, no issues, as I tried to be more cognizant of what I was doingā€¦hopefully avoiding contamination.

Cheers

6 Likes