Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Taman Negara
Also popped the tops on some Blue Meanies, Burma and B+.
Will be popping tops on Great White Monster and Red Boys later this weekend.

13 Likes

I see a lot of double clustering there is there any big clusters? Looking good and that is a rowdy line up.

4 Likes

Got two kits from them back in the day.
First one was BNN which I think was a Cambodian strain.
And then squid heads which were a Thai strain.
Awesome kit and just disappointed that they were shut down or closed shop, not sure which it was.
But I definitely recall those high times ads.
Some of the most potent fruits grown.

6 Likes

I’ve been trying to find Chaga in my local woods since I first heard about it. Still haven’t found it unfortunately.

Found some hen of the woods tho, I think.ight be turkey tail.

Always wanted to find a patch of Magic ones lol
I dream of finding a whole field of em one day
:green_heart::mushroom:

Also never found Morals. I heard they taste delicious fried in some butter and a little garlic :yum:

4 Likes

Nope, no clusters yet

1 Like

You actually have a Red Boy ?
I lost my print in a flood. Along with all my others unfortunately. I had a nice collection.

But that was one I got that’s was passed out by RR on the shroomer.

Do you get any brown/red spores from any of them ?

4 Likes

Yeah they’re kinda rusty red brownish color. I’ll be making a bunch of spore prints this round. I’ll send you a couple when they’re ready if you want.

2 Likes

Not sure as this is the first time I have tried Chaga, I was under the impression what I am experiencing with it was normal until I spoke to others about it lol. It nearly killed my coffee grinder reducing it to powder, so I think a hand grinder would be a good idea for me.

I only took a third of what was growing on the tree so it keeps on growing, I saw a YouTube vid that said once the chaga hits a certain size in comparison to the tree, the tree will die and the chaga then releases spores. So I am hoping the tree stays alive as well. I have spotted other birch trees with it but it’s all about 15ft or higher up, and I am not dragging a ladder half a K through my woods to get it. I am going to try seeding some chaga on some Birch trees closer and at a lower height.

I have a lot of other medicinal fungi growing on Birch trees here, like Turkey Tail and another I can’t remember what it’s called but looks similar to Reishi. Would a higher proof alcohol make a better tincture as I can make up to 90% or 180 proof. Turkey Tail is like leather even when fresh so other than grind it up its hard to know how to use it, so a tincture for that may also be good.

5 Likes

lol I’ve made that mistake before. These days, I make sure it’s dryer than a mummy fart, break it up into smaller pieces by hand and using pliers inside a paper bag so it doesn’t go everywhere (wear gloves or you’ll pinch yourself), then put it through the $40 table-mounted grain mill by hand, grinding to about the size of normal (not fine) sand. This size is good for extraction but not so small it clogs everything when straining like powder.

Nope, there’s no benefit to using higher proof alcohol. There are some medicinal compounds which are alcohol soluble, and some which are water soluble when heated (stay below 180F because of molecular/chemical breakdown at or above that temp). 80 proof is plenty and gets you the proper proof at the end, when mixed 1:1 with the water solution, to keep the tincture sterile and shelf-stable. Higher proof would mess up those ratios.

You can do the same dual extraction process with pretty much all medicinal mushrooms to derive benefits you can’t get otherwise, due to our stomachs not being able to break down the mushrooms and some of the medicinal compounds only being alcohol-soluble. Turkey tail is exceptionally good for you, one of the most anti-cancer mushroom science has found, and it grows all around the world for free. Who doesn’t love free? :slight_smile:

If wild harvesting, just make sure they are 100% positively identified, then cut them into smaller chunks or slices when fresh, dry them until they’re cracker crispy, then grind as noted above.

Here’s the easy recipe for dual extracting mushrooms:

In a clean, sealed jar, soak in 80 proof vodka at a ratio of about 1/2 to 1 pound (227g - 454g) of ground mushroom per 1/2 gallon (2L) of vodka for a month, shaking frequently. At the end of 30 days, strain and keep the mushroom vodka extra in a separate clean & covered jar.

Then, put the soggy strained mushroom must in a covered crockpot with slightly more water than the amount of vodka you used before, turn it on warm or low and let it sit covered for 8-12 hours, stirring frequently but never letting it get above 180F.

When it’s done, let it cool covered, then strain the mushroom must out of the water into a separate clean jar. Mix the mushroom vodka with the mushroom water in a 1:1 ratio, seal and you have a dual extract tincture that’s shelf stable and will last, if in cool/dark conditions, for several years.

I take about 5ml of several different kinds of mushroom tinctures mixed in with my coffee every day. The lion’s mane has a remarkably obvious benefit to your memory, and the reishi definitely gives a ton of energy. The other non-psychedelic mushrooms don’t provide quite as obvious physiological or mental effects to me, though I do sometimes get mild visuals like I said before. But that may be all in my head! lol

Hope that helps!

:sun_with_face: :rainbow:
:mushroom: :peace_symbol:

11 Likes

Made myself some tea last night with 8 grams of the dried McKennaii. Effects came on within 30 minutes and the visuals, both open- and closed-eye, were very intense. No ego dissolution or grand insights, but this is a very “trippy” strain. I think the next time I try it, in a few months, I will do it out in nature to enjoy the visuals.

8 Likes

First shoebox’s
Hillbilly

Koi

Are they both contaminated?
Any input welcomed
Hapi

10 Likes

I don’t see any obvious mold to be concerned about.

1 Like

I have a lifetime supply. I always grab a pack sack full every year on my moose hunt

2 Likes

@Hapi, I agree with @Seamonkey84 in that those boxes look perfectly normal and contam free. Good job!

3 Likes

Ya agree as well. Looking good I see healthy mycelium and what looks to be some knotting going on that will pin and fruit.:+1:. That second pic koh is that slight blue tint in the center area or is that lighting or my cheap phone?

4 Likes

Excellent, thanks for the info man, very much appreciated :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for input, @Randar @Seamonkey84 .
Cheers
@420noob it could be my lighting in picture.
Here is a different picture, do you still see it?

7 Likes

Ya but it’s in a different spot so it’s a mix of lighting and my phone.lol looking good. Do you have those in fruiting conditions? You keeping lids on and cracking or fruiting in a chamber of some kind?

3 Likes

Yes. And yes , lids on cracked. No fruiting chamber.

4 Likes

Ok I was just getting a sense of what you had going there. So next time leave fae to minium until the top of your substrate is covered with mycelium then introduce fae ie crack the lid. That will help promote a full pin set and canopy. You are still going to be fine just something to research for the future. You see those quarter size round patches that I’ll bet have mycelium jumping out from the center of the circle. That is the mycelium colonizing the top layer of substrate. If you let that fill up with those white circles so it’s almost even all around then introduce fae(fresh air exchange) you will have a full pinset and canopy or at least fuller.w

6 Likes