Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Well I don’t think I can mess that up, maybe.

2 Likes

It’s my take on bucket tek…

Boiling water to coco, cover til cool, squeeze excess water, done lol

4 Likes

I did read up on that on, thanks.

3 Likes

Still very impressed by how quickly these things grow once they get going.

10 Likes

For me by the time I got there I had so many mushrooms I just stopped. It’s a fascinating hobby!

4 Likes

Jiminy Christmas. So many growing on the sides, lol.

Still got lots to learn, obviously :laughing:

8 Likes

Using a liner will help prevent those unwanted side pins

6 Likes

Yeah, I think I’m gonna try that with the next tub.

I’d read about it, but since this is my first tub ever I kinda wanted to be able to see what was going on in the sub anyways, because I’m curious as hell :wink:

I think I’ll use a garbage bag to make a double liner next time.

2 Likes

Also helps to get the sub out to harvest them. I hating trying to float it to the top only to have it break in half anyways.

2 Likes

I was about to crack one of the three shoeboxes open ahead of time to put them immediately into “fruiting conditions” like I read on a post. Said it sped up colonization and pinning with the added oxygen. But I need to get and Modify a tote to put my shoeboxes in. I don’t want gnats getting to them!

2 Likes

I have no idea how I’m gonna harvest those things, but the biggest ones (on the other side of the tub, not shown) are now above the surface and the veil has broken.

I’m skeptical that I can move the sub at this stage without destroying it, so I don’t really know what to do about them.

3 Likes

Man, your colonization is pretty speedy already lol.

Looking forward to updates :smiley:

1 Like

Put waterproof tape on the holes and slowly pour water around the substrate. Wait for the bottom to release and the sub to start floating. Then pour water to the top.
After harvest, drain with a hose. Or peel off the tape

3 Likes

If you have holes in the tub float it to the highest point and pull it out. I set it on the mono tub lid while working on it by the sink. Breaking it into 2-3 pieces isn’t the worst thing in the world. It gets to be tedious pulling off the small ones.

3 Likes

Does that mean I should wait until harvest then?

They’re gonna drop spores well before everything else is ready to harvest, some will likely do so within the next couple hours.

Was hoping to avoid that mess, lol.

Definitely going to try those tips during harvest though, thanks!

1 Like

Well there’s a good dose right there

2 Likes

Yea my shoebox is going faster than I expected, I got a new tote with foam gasket in lid. It can hold two shoeboxes, and I also got some some poly fill to for some 1” holes I’m going to put into it. might end up with a stack of them to keep contamination out (fungus gnats first and for most), basically using it as a fruity chamber for a rotation of fruiting blocks and shoeboxes of various different mushrooms. I need to expand the morel LC I got, it’s only got one marble sized clump of mycelium in it, it’s rather tight and brown colored. I tried to break it up to get a drop on the agar plate last week, I see something growing, not sure if it’s contamination or morel mycelium yet :man_shrugging:t2:

Oh, the same shoebox as before, a day later.

4 Likes

So ridiculous, lol. You wait for a couple weeks without any above-ground action, then they just go insane in like three days.

From the pictures above to the pictures below in a single day… I may never get tired of that :laughing:

14 Likes

Wow that fills in fast.

3 Likes

Howard looks like you are starting to get things dialed in, nice work!

2 Likes